Difference in biglaw exit options, corporate vs finance/debt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Difference in biglaw exit options, corporate vs finance/debt

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:47 am

V20 firm with offers in either the general corporate department (securities, governance, m&a, etc) or the finance/debt department (financings, bond offerings, project finance, etc).

Spent my summer doing a bit of both, and think i like the finance stuff more. But im worried about exit options a few years down the line. All the corporae associates are in huge demand to go inhouse, growing companies...not so much with the finance guys. Seems like the exits are too a limited number of bank jobs.

Can anyone shed light on the differences in lifestyle, exit options, career differences between a general corporate associate vs an associate more focused on financial transactions? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Difference in biglaw exit options, corporate vs finance/debt

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I am also curious about this.

I can tell you that a capital markets (debt + equity) associate at my firm mentioned the people who had experience in things like M&A had broader exit opportunities, but he and the people in his group still had tons of options and recruiter calls, just more narrow.

Still, I'd be very interested in hearing more about this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am also curious about this.

I can tell you that a capital markets (debt + equity) associate at my firm mentioned the people who had experience in things like M&A had broader exit opportunities, but he and the people in his group still had tons of options and recruiter calls, just more narrow.

Still, I'd be very interested in hearing more about this.

I think thats about right. There are plenty of oppoutunities for a structured finance expert, but only in that field, while an M&A guy is more of a generalist that has a wider range of options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:50 pm

bumping :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:25 am

I think this is still true. Corporate/M&A has better exit options than finance and other transactional practice groups. I think your exit options for any transactional practice are going to be your clients. M&A deals with a wide variety of clients while finance bros deal with banks and hedge funds for the most part.

Return to “Legal Employment”