What types of students end up in Public Interest?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dkang

What types of students end up in Public Interest?

Postby dkang » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:32 pm

I was wondering, for those people who end up doing Public Interest, are they are voluntary? Are they typically the people who graduated at the bottom of there class and don't have many options? Or are they mostly people who want to go into Public Interest?

Knock

Re: What types of students end up in Public Interest?

Postby Knock » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:33 pm

dkang wrote:I was wondering, for those people who end up doing Public Interest, are they are voluntary? Are they typically the people who graduated at the bottom of there class and don't have many options? Or are they mostly people who want to go into Public Interest?

They're mainly people who want to go into public interest because, by and large, getting a PI job is still very difficult.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Prestigious public interest jobs seem generally harder to get and require more focus than biglaw jobs. Even in this economy, let's say half of all T14 students can go through OCI and get a firm job based mainly on their grades, without any relevant experience or demonstrated interest; on the other hand, most of them would not be in the running for a Skadden Fellowship, for instance. It is a conscious choice that requires work toward achieving and not a fallback option. That said, from what I've heard, grades may be less emphasized in public interest hiring, so someone in say the bottom third of their class but with great experience, references, etc., might have a good shot at a competitive PD's office, but wouldn't have a good chance at firm jobs.

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:16 pm

people that don't have the grades and/or prestigious law school to get biglaw

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:20 pm

People who want to do public interest? There aren't that many jobs out there and from what I hear most hate being treated as plan b if biglaw didn't work out.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:21 pm

truthypants wrote:people that don't have the grades and/or prestigious law school to get biglaw

Haha, no. Wrong.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:04 pm

truthypants wrote:people that don't have the grades and/or prestigious law school to get biglaw

No.

You will not get a DA/PD job at least unless you have demonstrated commitment to the work and have experience in that setting. People who were solely focused on Biglaw but missed the grade cutoffs have to scramble to get whatever job they can. None of those people would ever be competitive for these jobs.

Other public interest? I don't know, but I suspect it's similar.

dkang

Postby dkang » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:11 am

Whats PD?

And I am just afraid of going to a law school where my grades are a "stretch" and then not doing well in school and having to work in school rather than work in the private sector.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:38 am

Anybody who thinks PI work is a good back-up or just an easy job to get in case you fail at big law is going to be in for a rude awakening.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 am

dkang wrote:Whats PD?

And I am just afraid of going to a law school where my grades are a "stretch" and then not doing well in school and having to work in school rather than work in the private sector.

PD = Public defender

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 am

Friend turned down 160k @ Skadden for much lower pay @ NRDC. Many more like him, I'm sure.

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 am

I know some truly brilliant people at the top of their class who didn't even do OCI because they knew they wanted to do public interest law. I suspect that their success in law school was in part due to knowing what they wanted and not chasing a profession just for the money. One common characteristic that I noted, however, was that almost all of them had worked for some time after college (mostly for PI organizations). I can only think of a couple of people who knew they wanted to do PI and went to law schools straight from undergrad.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 am

glewz wrote:Friend turned down 160k @ Skadden for much lower pay @ NRDC. Many more like him, I'm sure.

I watched that episode last night.... but he took the job, didn't he?

Return to “Legal Employment”