GPA required for T6 student to get fed gov?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GPA required for T6 student to get fed gov?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:14 pm

DOJ?

State Department?

Less prestigious fed gov?

Just looking for people's estimation of what class rank is required to have more than a trivial shot. Assume average softs and non-URM, with varied legal experience (general counsel, legal counsel, and litigation).

Anonymous User

Re: GPA required for T6 student to get fed gov?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DOJ?

State Department?

Just looking for people's estimation of what class rank is required to have more than a trivial shot. Assume average softs and non-URM, with varied legal experience (general counsel, legal counsel, and litigation).

Fed Govt doesn't work like that. They do look at HYS as being special, beyond that the rest of the top 14 are basically the same. They care about GPA, dedication to public service, extracurriculars, diversity, and WE (including internships with government agencies) and community service. References play a big role as well.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DOJ?

State Department?

Fed Govt doesn't work like that. They do look at HYS as being special, beyond that the rest of the top 14 are basically the same. They care about GPA, dedication to public service, extracurriculars, diversity, and WE (including internships with government agencies) and community service. References play a big role as well.

+1. It's not just grades + school + pulse + not-an-aspie the way a lot of biglaw is.

Still, it's fair to say main justice honors likely wants top of class creds while other agencies are still picky and probably want well over median without other major factors working for you.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:02 pm

What is the soft cut off. I've heard top third or GTFO for honors, and DOJ honors being a lot higher than that.

Not sure what to believe though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:11 pm

My school's OCS told me that the soft GPA cutoff for a fed job was a 3.0.

Most state government jobs tend to be more lenient.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school's OCS told me that the soft GPA cutoff for a fed job was a 3.0.

How far below median is a 3.0?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Sentry wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My school's OCS told me that the soft GPA cutoff for a fed job was a 3.0.

How far below median is a 3.0?

I think that depends on your school.

Return to “Legal Employment”