How are you all sending your e-mails? (on Macs) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

How are you all sending your e-mails? (on Macs)

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Are you guys manually addressing or do you have mail merge software for e-mails? Advice on good choices for the Mac?

Edit: Does anyone know if downloading a mailmerge list from nalpdirectory.com contains the e-mail adress of the recruiting contact?

Renzo

Gold

Re: How are you all sending your e-mails? (on Macs)

Post by Renzo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:39 pm

I recommend Microsoft Word. If you don't already have it, stop being a computer nerd and buy it.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Renzo wrote:I recommend Microsoft Word. If you don't already have it, stop being a computer nerd and buy it.
Word cannot mail-merge with attachments to e-mail.

(I do have it...)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm computer-tarded so I'm just addressing the cover letters manually before I email them. I am saving all documents in .doc form so I pray they are formatted correctly when they are opened up on the other end. I do enough customization and tailoring of each letter that addressing everything individually just seemed like the best option. Been sending them out all weekend so that they are waiting to be read first thing Monday morning (fingers crossed)

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 pm

I want to say I sucessfully used Open Office for this purpose 1L year, but it's been a while.

Honestly, unless you run merges reguarly, the time you'll spend setting it up, fixing your mistakes, and then triple-checking to make certain that every email is correct will likely take roughly the same amount of time as doing everything manually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:07 pm

blowhard wrote:
Renzo wrote:I recommend Microsoft Word. If you don't already have it, stop being a computer nerd and buy it.

(I do have it...)
Set Outlook to be your default mail client, and it should work.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm computer-tarded so I'm just addressing the cover letters manually before I email them. I am saving all documents in .doc form so I pray they are formatted correctly when they are opened up on the other end. I do enough customization and tailoring of each letter that addressing everything individually just seemed like the best option. Been sending them out all weekend so that they are waiting to be read first thing Monday morning (fingers crossed)
I'd save to PDF if I was you, bro

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:16 pm

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm computer-tarded so I'm just addressing the cover letters manually before I email them. I am saving all documents in .doc form so I pray they are formatted correctly when they are opened up on the other end. I do enough customization and tailoring of each letter that addressing everything individually just seemed like the best option. Been sending them out all weekend so that they are waiting to be read first thing Monday morning (fingers crossed)
You are right. I noticed that they are a bit oddly formatted when opened, so I'm doing everything as PDF now. Luckily, I only sent out a few this weekend, so I'm just sending a quick follow-up email, noting that a formatting issue was brought to my attention, and updating with a PDF version of my application package. As long as they get the update without issue, theres no problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:32 am

Wordperfect > anything Word.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wordperfect > anything Word.
Dude you might was well be cave painting at Lascaux bro

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:
You are right. I noticed that they are a bit oddly formatted when opened, so I'm doing everything as PDF now. Luckily, I only sent out a few this weekend, so I'm just sending a quick follow-up email, noting that a formatting issue was brought to my attention, and updating with a PDF version of my application package. As long as they get the update without issue, theres no problem.
PDFs also won't show those annoying green and red lines under the name of the firm

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 am

Renzo wrote:
blowhard wrote:

(I do have it...)
I can mail merge my cover letter to email. However, I cannot mail merge my cover letter to e-mail and attach my resume/transcript automatically. The only way I've been able to do it is to put outlook offline, merge, then go through each message in the outbox and attach prior to putting it back online.

Edit: This is a confirmed limitation of Word...not my understanding of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:
Guess the little formatting hiccup, and subsequent PDF update email didn't hurt me. Got 2 interviews already out of the handful of applications I sent out to mid-size firms in my home market. Not bad so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad law wrote:
Guess the little formatting hiccup, and subsequent PDF update email didn't hurt me. Got 2 interviews already out of the handful of applications I sent out to mid-size firms in my home market. Not bad so far.
Congrats! It may have even worked in your favor, since it gave you a solid reason to follow up with them and draw attention to your materials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 pm

@warumnicht

Yeah, I was certainly thinking that. It wasn't a huge formatting error. It just made it so they couldn't see all my contact info, so it gave me an excuse to not only re-forward them all my material and follow up, but also a chance to shove my phone number and email address in their face again.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:05 pm

blowhard wrote:
Renzo wrote:
blowhard wrote:

(I do have it...)
I can mail merge my cover letter to email. However, I cannot mail merge my cover letter to e-mail and attach my resume/transcript automatically. The only way I've been able to do it is to put outlook offline, merge, then go through each message in the outbox and attach prior to putting it back online.

Edit: This is a confirmed limitation of Word...not my understanding of it.
Oh, yeah. You can only merge an Office document, not unrelated attachments.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 pm

I never tried this (and can't be bothered now, bar procrastination can only be stretched so far), but it might be possible to run the merge in Word to create the emails, and then subsequently run a script in Outlook to automate the attachments.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:I never tried this (and can't be bothered now, bar procrastination can only be stretched so far), but it might be possible to run the merge in Word to create the emails, and then subsequently run a script in Outlook to automate the attachments.
Actually, I just looked at Automator, and there's already a script to attach a document to Outlook. You're in business, OP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”