Friends with a federal district judge - significance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Friends with a federal district judge - significance?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm about to start at a CCN school and hope to clerk for an Article III judge after graduation. The parent of a very good friend of mine recently became a federal judge in a district court serving a large city and state capital that is also my hometown (in other words, a desirable district to which I have strong ties). I know the judge very well personally and am confident that the judge thinks I'm smart, hard-working, and so on. Can anyone attest to or speculate on the significance that such a relationship might have regarding clerkship hiring down the line? I haven't talked to the judge about clerking, so I don't know whether the judge would be eager to have me apply or bothered by the seeming nepotism. Should I be trying to lay the groundwork for a clerkship with this judge? Laying the groundwork for an eventual recommendation to other district (or appellate) judges? I know I'm looking years ahead, but I want to do what I can now to position myself well for the future.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: Friends with a federal district judge - significance?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:31 pm

You know his position on judicial interns? Some judges will not consider former interns for clerkships, while others hire former interns a decent amount. If he falls into the latter category, you could try to be his intern your 1L summer.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm about to start at a CCN school and hope to clerk for an Article III judge after graduation. The parent of a very good friend of mine recently became a federal judge in a district court serving a large city and state capital that is also my hometown (in other words, a desirable district to which I have strong ties). I know the judge very well personally and am confident that the judge thinks I'm smart, hard-working, and so on. Can anyone attest to or speculate on the significance that such a relationship might have regarding clerkship hiring down the line? I haven't talked to the judge about clerking, so I don't know whether the judge would be eager to have me apply or bothered by the seeming nepotism. Should I be trying to lay the groundwork for a clerkship with this judge? Laying the groundwork for an eventual recommendation to other district (or appellate) judges? I know I'm looking years ahead, but I want to do what I can now to position myself well for the future.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Do well at law school. Get on to Law Review. It is totally obvious, but really that is going to be the key to whether or not you can get a clerkship. No one can really tell you what the judge is going to feel comfortable with as far as maybe hiring you or even writing you a recommendation. I'd also think a personal recommendation, even from a fellow judge would not make the world of difference to your applications, I'd think it would be more like a strong soft factor in law school apps. Helpful for sure, but not game-changing. If the judge can help you get your foot in the door with judges that is fantastic, but I suspect no recommendation is going to get you a clerkship unless your academic performance also meets the judges standards.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:10 pm

It will be worth 12 points in the job hunt.

Return to “Legal Employment”