Cover Letters: Please interview me by x-date?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cupidity

Cover Letters: Please interview me by x-date?

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Here is my situation,

I'm at a T-30 school in New England, but I'm from Florida. While I hope to stay in Boston or NYC, its a tough economy and I'd like to hit up some of the larger to mid size firms in Florida because a job in a secondary market is better than living off pet-food for the rest of your life. I'm working in Florida this summer and will be here until late August when school and OCI start back up in New England.

I've got my stuff all set up to resume-bomb the Florida firms Monday. Is there an appropriate way to ask them to interview me while I'm down here? I keep trying various ways of suggesting this in my cover letters, and all of them seem, well, bitchy. Thoughts?

chem

Re: Cover Letters: Please interview me by x-date?

Postby chem » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't know about the cover letter, but ask for an informational interview or something like that and tell them the dates you are there. They can make the connect with your resume and interview you for real if you want

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Yes, this is a common practice. You do it like this:

"Dear Recruiting Committee,

I am writing to apply for bla bla [rest of cover letter BS]

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I will be in [location of firm] from [time] until later time] but would be happy to arrange an interview at any time of your convenience.

Best,

Candidate"

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:22 pm

chem wrote:I don't know about the cover letter, but ask for an informational interview or something like that and tell them the dates you are there. They can make the connect with your resume and interview you for real if you want

Going into 2L fall, I wouldn't advise this. It is appropriate and timely to apply for summer associate positions and request formal interviews.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 am

thesealocust wrote:Yes, this is a common practice. You do it like this:

"Dear Recruiting Committee,

I am writing to apply for bla bla [rest of cover letter BS]

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I will be in [location of firm] from [time] until later time] but would be happy to arrange an interview at any time of your convenience.

Best,

Candidate"

Yep.

If they were interested they would fly you back anyways, so telling them you're in town is really just saying, "if you want to save the cost of a plane ticket and hotel, get back to me soon."

Return to “Legal Employment”