The SA sucking up is absolutely ridiculous...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The SA sucking up is absolutely ridiculous...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Seriously, for the life of me I have never seen so sucking up as I have at my summer associate job . A Lexis training program ends and I hear 14 collective "thank you so much's!" directed at the librarian. During the program, people each ask 5-6 ridiculous questions each, just to show they are paying attention.

Not to mention the schmoozing that goes on, even to someone who is just a 3rd year and have no power whatsoever.

What are some ridiculous examples of summers sucking up at your firms?

sharklasers

Re: The SA sucking up is absolutely ridiculous...

Postby sharklasers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Is it sucking up when you're just really, really happy you have a job? That's kind of how I felt during my summer.

badlydrawn

Postby badlydrawn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:11 pm

They sound courteous.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 pm

badlydrawn wrote:They sound courteous.

This. Also maybe they are bad at Lexis. I'm horrible at Lexis.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:16 pm

+1

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously, for the life of me I have never seen so sucking up as I have at my summer associate job . A Lexis training program ends and I hear 14 collective "thank you so much's!" directed at the librarian. During the program, people each ask 5-6 ridiculous questions each, just to show they are paying attention.

Not to mention the schmoozing that goes on, even to someone who is just a 3rd year and have no power whatsoever.

What are some ridiculous examples of summers sucking up at your firms?

The bad news is that no matter where you go, and what field you work in, for the next 30 years people like that will be getting noticed ahead of you.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:20 pm

I actually agree with OP. Yes you should always strive to be tactful, polite, and courteous, but summers take it to a whole different level. I've worked as a summer at 4 law firms now, and at each one there are people who go out of their way to ask stupid questions, to thank someone profusely for the most inane and insignificant things, to generally kiss ass in an attempt to make people believe they are pleasant to be around. It really is quite annoying.

Be yourself, realize that the lawyers and staff you work with are regular people with regular lives, and treat them with the respect you expect to be treated with. Trust me it works...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to mention the schmoozing that goes on, even to someone who is just a 3rd year and have no power whatsoever.

You'd be surprised... juniors have way more power than you would think. Especially if they are in your practice group and you are doing work for them.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:14 pm

rad law wrote:

This. Also maybe they are bad at Lexis. I'm horrible at Lexis.

This a thousand times.

I had the good fortune, or perhaps bad fortune, of being introduced to WestlawNext during my second week of law school.

If I'm stuck using Lexis, I'd be up the creek.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:58 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to mention the schmoozing that goes on, even to someone who is just a 3rd year and have no power whatsoever.

You'd be surprised... juniors have way more power than you would think. Especially if they are in your practice group and you are doing work for them.

Yeah. These juniors will be midlevels when you arrive, and will thus (1) be managing you directly, and (2) will have a good deal of say over junior staffing decisions.

Not to mention that by the time it actually matters (i.e., by your third or fourth year), a few of these juniors will be either senior associates or partners, and therefore in a much better position to help you, whether your plan is to lateral out or make partner.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Remember, 90% of the people that post on TLS are just like those people you describe and unlikely to see anything wrong with the behavior you describe.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 pm

elmagic wrote:Remember, 90% of the people that post on TLS are just like those people you describe and unlikely to see anything wrong with the behavior you describe, because it's the kind of behavior that got them into the best law schools and the fanciest law firms.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:04 pm

ok buddy

moopness

Postby moopness » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Renzo wrote:
elmagic wrote:Remember, 90% of the people that post on TLS are just like those people you describe and unlikely to see anything wrong with the behavior you describe, because it's the kind of behavior that got them into the best law schools and the fanciest law firms.

Who knew sucking up helped with grades and the LSAT? And they said there were no shortcuts. HA!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:40 pm

moopness wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Who knew sucking up helped with grades and the LSAT? And they said there were no shortcuts. HA!

If you don't think sucking up helps with grades, you didn't go to the same kind of school that I did. Not to mention whit it does for one's ability to get letters of recommendation.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Renzo wrote:
moopness wrote:
Renzo wrote:

If you don't think sucking up helps with grades, you didn't go to the same kind of school that I did. Not to mention whit it does for one's ability to get letters of recommendation.

What kind of school did you go to where there isn't blind grading?? I mean, networking and talking to people is definitely the way to get through in life, but the kind of brown nosing we see these days goes far beyond that.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:54 pm

elmagic wrote:What kind of school did you go to where there isn't blind grading?? I mean, networking and talking to people is definitely the way to get through in life, but the kind of brown nosing we see these days goes far beyond that.

A well-known state school. Never took a blind-graded test in my life until law school. And so far in this thread, the worst example of sucking up has been acting interested in a training and saying thank you afterwards. I've definitely seen worse brown-nosing than that work.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Renzo wrote:
elmagic wrote:What kind of school did you go to where there isn't blind grading?? I mean, networking and talking to people is definitely the way to get through in life, but the kind of brown nosing we see these days goes far beyond that.

A well-known state school. Never took a blind-graded test in my life until law school. And so far in this thread, the worst example of sucking up has been acting interested in a training and saying thank you afterwards. I've definitely seen worse brown-nosing than that work.

Oops thought you meant law school grades haha

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:06 am

f7 wrote:At a party an SA told this partner how great his lecture was and he was like, "Oh, so you're a suck up!" I thoroughly lost my shit.

See, now that's sucking up. I have a hard time seeing him giving the same response to someone who acted interested, asked a question, and said thanks.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 am

f7 wrote:At a party an SA told this partner how great his lecture was and he was like, "Oh, so you're a suck up!" I thoroughly lost my shit.

What did the SA say in response?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:15 am

I got 3 or 4 Bs changed to As in college by going into the professor's office after the final and cashing in the good will I had built up over the semester. If you don't understand that life is more about perception than reality ... you should reach that understanding.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:19 am

d34dluk3 wrote:

I got 3 or 4 Bs changed to As in college by going into the professor's office after the final and cashing in the good will I had built up over the semester. If you don't understand that life is more about perception than reality ... you should reach that understanding.

Fairly certain that there were several classes in UG where I deserved a B but got an A because they saw my name at the top of the test and read my test with more lenient eyes. Also fairly certain that this effect cut the other way a few times...

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:46 am

f7 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

What did the SA say in response?

Awkward laughter.

I'd have liked to have witnessed that.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:06 am

I've seen suckups in my life, and I honestly don't think it gets them very far. People see it from a mile away. Asskisses are douchebags, and it reeks of insincerity and shallowness. If someone is going to bullshit me to my face, do me the favor of not insulting my intelligence by acting like I don't see through your crap.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:33 am

Suckups suck.

On the other hand, saying thank you after someone does something for you =/= sucking up. Furthermore, you have officially reached the age where the "too cool for school" attitude is no longer attractive. No one's a special flower, and you're at the bottom of the totem pole. If someone does something for you, it's not over the top to be appreciative. This could perhaps be extended broadly to the whole "you have a biglaw job" something.

There's no need to brown nose, but not being gracious = you getting talked about behind your back.

Return to “Legal Employment”