No-Offering Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No-Offering

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:02 am

What firms are known for no-offering SA's? Please distinguish between firms that do it annually as part of their policy, and ones that did it in response to the recession. NALP is not very helpful, because the snapshot might not mean a trend.

Covington seemed to no-offer 2 ppl at each office, for example, but it's hard to know if they always do that, or there were just 4 really bad SA's.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Re: No-Offering

Post by Nogameisfair » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:19 am

I heard from people in the DC class that the no offers went to deserving folks.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:20 am

The higher ranked a firm is on vault, the better its overall offer rate usually is. I'm assuming this happens in part because firms are conscious of what they are ranked and do not want to risk slipping 10+ slots on vault by upsetting prospective associates who would bash the firm through word of mouth (and associates already at the firm would take note as well).

Once you move outside of vault rankings, you need to look at regions. The South, for example, generally has low offer rates (especially outside of Texas). However, this is generally compensated for by firms offering 6-8 week programs instead of 10-12 week programs (allowing splits).

Do you have any particular firms in mind?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:23 am

There are too many to list. Relatively few firms maintained offer rates north of 90% in the summer of 2009, and most firms were back to normal for summer 2010 (after hiring significantly fewer summers). In general, the highest-ranked Vault firms are most likely to give offers to just about everyone (for example, Sullcrom no-offered only one last summer out of 90-something total); lower-ranked firms are more likely to (a) experience economic instability that forces them to no-offer summers, and (b) not care as much about having a super high offer rate.

GDC is known as being more willing to no-offer summers than most firms--but I've also heard firsthand that the three in DC who were no-offered last summer deserved it. I think Munger generally no-offers 10% to 20% of the class. Texas firms allegedly give a significant percentage of no-offers because splitting is more common there, so most people get two chances (not sure if this has held true ITE). I don't know much about Covington, but I don't think they have a policy of no-offering two or anything; if the number of no-offers is consistently that low (as opposed to being at least 10% of the class), it's probably just because a couple idiots manage to slip through every year. If you're curious about a specific firm, look at its Vault page and search its name on Above the Law, AutoAdmit (seriously), TLS, and other places. You should hopefully be able to piece together enough information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:33 am

Nogameisfair wrote:I heard from people in the DC class that the no offers went to deserving folks.

Deserving as in they deserved to be no-offered, or as in they were deserved to have a position?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:I heard from people in the DC class that the no offers went to deserving folks.

Deserving as in they deserved to be no-offered, or as in they were deserved to have a position?
Oh yeah, that wasn't clear. They went to craptastic summer associates or people who quickly realized that Big Law was not for them. There are a lot of people who do a SA with no intention of ever working at a firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:10 pm

This year's DC class is something like 48 people. 46 out of 48 would still be a good offer rate if you assume the two no-offers went to the two least deserving.

I don't understand OP's "2 at each office" claim though. 2 no-offers at their NY or SV offices would be half the SAs at each. The NY office had a 100% offer rate last year and should again this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”