Cornell OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 pm

vexion wrote:
mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.

I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.

I'll ask you to repeat that after zero AJF callbacks, before OCI. ;)

That's just cold hearted

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby vexion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Yeah, it was... Long days are getting to me. I retract my previous snark.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:33 pm

vexion wrote:Yeah, it was... Long days are getting to me. I retract my previous snark.

cunt

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow do I hate schedule conflicts.

I got one more today, bringing me up to 18.

I got 3 more coming up to 15 -- I swear the lottery was on crack -- I picked up a 5, 6 and 9

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Picked up 3 new interviews - bringing me from 13 to 16! <3 open sign-ups!

The firms I picked up I bid 9, 7, and 9. But I also had a firm I'd bid 6 pop up with availability. Bizarre.

User avatar
spaacecdt
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:10 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby spaacecdt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Does anyone know if this:

Also remember that additional open slots may become available in the coming days, so if you do not see an open slot of interest now, you can check back later.


actually happens?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:43 pm

I got my number 2 pick on day 1 through open sign up, bringing my interview total to 17 (all NYC).

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:50 pm

spaacecdt wrote:Does anyone know if this:

Also remember that additional open slots may become available in the coming days, so if you do not see an open slot of interest now, you can check back later.


actually happens?

People transferring out and people who accept other offers

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got my number 2 pick on day 1 through open sign up, bringing my interview total to 17 (all NYC).

this is what I mean

could we get a better fucking lottery system?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got my number 2 pick on day 1 through open sign up, bringing my interview total to 17 (all NYC).

this is what I mean

could we get a better fucking lottery system?


Probably why they call it a lottery and not a draft

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Try not to get too overwrought about OCI guys. The job prospects are never as rosy as the schools describe. Most firms remain nervous about hiring at all. To be honest it would be a good idea if you kept a list of mid and small law firms that you were interested in, in addition to doing all the OCI stuff. If OCI doesn't pan out for you then you can hit the ground running and have an advantage over many of your classmates who will be in the same boat.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:04 pm

MrAnon wrote:Try not to get too overwrought about OCI guys. The job prospects are never as rosy as the schools describe. Most firms remain nervous about hiring at all. To be honest it would be a good idea if you kept a list of mid and small law firms that you were interested in, in addition to doing all the OCI stuff. If OCI doesn't pan out for you then you can hit the ground running and have an advantage over many of your classmates who will be in the same boat.

if you're talking about mass mailing then I'm sure everyone is doing that anyways, people would be silly to rely on 15 -20 screeners

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:06 pm

only 15-20? that's what people are getting this year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:08 pm

MrAnon wrote:only 15-20? that's what people are getting this year?

yes so far the highest I've heard is 18 and the lowest 12

I talked to some rising 3Ls and they said it was the same last year (that 18 was on the high end)

edit: do you even go to cornell?

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:50 pm

No but my ex went through OCI there when we were together.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm

spaacecdt wrote:Does anyone know if this:

Also remember that additional open slots may become available in the coming days, so if you do not see an open slot of interest now, you can check back later.


actually happens?


Apparently- I went back a few minutes ago and found my #10 open. No idea how often that will happen though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm up to 20 now.

Everything's coming up Milhouse! (http://comingupmilhouse.com/)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:Does anyone know if this:

Also remember that additional open slots may become available in the coming days, so if you do not see an open slot of interest now, you can check back later.


actually happens?


Apparently- I went back a few minutes ago and found my #10 open. No idea how often that will happen though.

Kinda sucks that you can only do it once a day. Is it once every 24 hours or will I be able to do it tomorrow morning? anyone have guesses?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:Does anyone know if this:

Also remember that additional open slots may become available in the coming days, so if you do not see an open slot of interest now, you can check back later.


actually happens?


Apparently- I went back a few minutes ago and found my #10 open. No idea how often that will happen though.

Kinda sucks that you can only do it once a day. Is it once every 24 hours or will I be able to do it tomorrow morning? anyone have guesses?

You can add an interview for M,T,W once each per day

So today if you added one for each of M,T, and W, tomorrow you can do that again

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You can add an interview for M,T,W once each per day

So today if you added one for each of M,T, and W, tomorrow you can do that again

Yeah I got that. I just wonder how they count days. Like 24 hours or at midnight haha.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 pm

mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.

I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.

Unless you're smart and realize that the quality of life and collegiality of large law firms outside of New York City lead to a happy and fulfilling career.

Seriously, y'all, don't underestimate how awesome it can be to be at large law firms in small cities. I am working at a firm in Upstate New York this summer (granted, I am from Upstate and didn't attend AJF because I knew I wanted to be here), and my firm seems to be more relaxed/friendly/unstressful than I had imagined a law firm could be. Small cities with high qualities of life and low costs of living are freaking awesome (not to mention the low leverage - at my firm they expect everyone will become a partner eventually).

(Anonymous because I'm one of three or so students at Cornell working upstate and if my firm saw this they would almost certainly know it was me and be able to read all my previous posts if I weren't anonymous)

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.

I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.

Unless you're smart and realize that the quality of life and collegiality of large law firms outside of New York City lead to a happy and fulfilling career.

Seriously, y'all, don't underestimate how awesome it can be to be at large law firms in small cities. I am working at a firm in Upstate New York this summer (granted, I am from Upstate and didn't attend AJF because I knew I wanted to be here), and my firm seems to be more relaxed/friendly/unstressful than I had imagined a law firm could be. Small cities with high qualities of life and low costs of living are freaking awesome (not to mention the low leverage - at my firm they expect everyone will become a partner eventually).

(Anonymous because I'm one of three or so students at Cornell working upstate and if my firm saw this they would almost certainly know it was me and be able to read all my previous posts if I weren't anonymous)

But your advice only works for people who can stomach a small city.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 pm

mths wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.

I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.

Unless you're smart and realize that the quality of life and collegiality of large law firms outside of New York City lead to a happy and fulfilling career.

Seriously, y'all, don't underestimate how awesome it can be to be at large law firms in small cities. I am working at a firm in Upstate New York this summer (granted, I am from Upstate and didn't attend AJF because I knew I wanted to be here), and my firm seems to be more relaxed/friendly/unstressful than I had imagined a law firm could be. Small cities with high qualities of life and low costs of living are freaking awesome (not to mention the low leverage - at my firm they expect everyone will become a partner eventually).

(Anonymous because I'm one of three or so students at Cornell working upstate and if my firm saw this they would almost certainly know it was me and be able to read all my previous posts if I weren't anonymous)

But your advice only works for people who can stomach a small city.

I know, I just said not to underestimate the awesomeness. If you know you can't deal with small cities, then you know that. And that's cool. I just meant if you're a person who can appreciate small cities, it's something to think about.

I feel like a lot of people go to New York because everyone else does it and because it's easiest, instead of going because they actually want to be in New York. That shit ain't healthy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm

does anyone see open slots today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273082
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone see open slots today?

Saw three or four. Snagged Cleary.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.