Cornell OCI 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby koalatriste » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:prior to this year median was a 3.35. now, median is still a "3.35", but professors have the discretion to grade anywhere between a 3.25 and a 3.5.
Cornell only releases top 10% cutoffs, but in the past few years, the 2 semester cutoff for top 10% has ranged from a 3.68-3.73. This year it is a 3.81.

Still, Cornell sent out OCI information stating that firms were "very grade selective" in the past is they hired "those with a 3.65 or above". Unfortunately, that number means nothing because we have no idea how it relates to our grades this year. I am sure some students used these numbers and overreached with their bids.

Not helpful.


actually, i think the post was quite helpful and probably on point for what happened this year at Cornell. the only thing that wasn't helpful was the new curve, ironically.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:17 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:prior to this year median was a 3.35. now, median is still a "3.35", but professors have the discretion to grade anywhere between a 3.25 and a 3.5.
Cornell only releases top 10% cutoffs, but in the past few years, the 2 semester cutoff for top 10% has ranged from a 3.68-3.73. This year it is a 3.81.

Still, Cornell sent out OCI information stating that firms were "very grade selective" in the past is they hired "those with a 3.65 or above". Unfortunately, that number means nothing because we have no idea how it relates to our grades this year. I am sure some students used these numbers and overreached with their bids.

Not helpful.


actually, i think the post was quite helpful and probably on point for what happened this year at Cornell. the only thing that wasn't helpful was the new curve, ironically.

Agreed, the post covered the situation really well. There is mass confusion as to what our curve actually is and no one knows how the fuck the job fair is going to go. The next few months should be a hoot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:18 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:prior to this year median was a 3.35. now, median is still a "3.35", but professors have the discretion to grade anywhere between a 3.25 and a 3.5.
Cornell only releases top 10% cutoffs, but in the past few years, the 2 semester cutoff for top 10% has ranged from a 3.68-3.73. This year it is a 3.81.

Still, Cornell sent out OCI information stating that firms were "very grade selective" in the past is they hired "those with a 3.65 or above". Unfortunately, that number means nothing because we have no idea how it relates to our grades this year. I am sure some students used these numbers and overreached with their bids.

Not helpful.


actually, i think the post was quite helpful and probably on point for what happened this year at Cornell. the only thing that wasn't helpful was the new curve, ironically.

decided where you're going yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Late to the game, but 13 interviews. All top picks that I'm very excited to be interviewing with, but also did not get Weil despite bidding it number 1. Disappointed the lotto did not get deeper into my lists. Best day is Tuesday with 6 interviews, got down to number 8 on my list - did not get interviews with Brown Rudnick (bid 6th) or Jones Day (bid 7th) that day. Three Wednesday interviews, four Monday interviews.

ETA: all NYC offices.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby danidancer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 pm

At least Weil is doing OCI in addition to the AJF. Maybe some of the #1 pick folks who didn't get interviews will get lucky with the OCI lottery?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:06 pm

17 here (all NYC)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:15 pm

17 here also (all NYC).

Got most of my top picks. Also got the coveted Weil interview, which I bid #1.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:30 pm

anyone know when secondaries will be coming out?

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Can someone explain to me why everyone at Cornell is obsessed with Weil this year? Did they have an awesome reception or something?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Can someone explain to me why everyone at Cornell is obsessed with Weil this year? Did they have an awesome reception or something?

they had a significant class size hike up from 2010-2011

that + being less selective than most V10s and having only 20 interview slots probably explains it

User avatar
afghan007
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby afghan007 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Can someone explain to me why everyone at Cornell is obsessed with Weil this year? Did they have an awesome reception or something?


Reception was cool, but I honk it's more of a combination of their vault ranking, Cso gpa cutoff, the number of interview slots, and the other firms interviewing on the same day as Weil.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I got 14 NYC. Bid Allen & Overy #1 but didn't get it.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know when secondaries will be coming out?


Do you mean Journals? Sometime this week is all we know from the last email sent out.

chatterbox43
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby chatterbox43 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Is anyone planning to go to the DC fair?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:16 pm

chatterbox43 wrote:Is anyone planning to go to the DC fair?


Yes

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am

cornell 0L wondering - is getting interviews for the NYC job fair a separate process?

chatterbox43
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby chatterbox43 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:cornell 0L wondering - is getting interviews for the NYC job fair a separate process?


Not exactly. We have several job fairs: 3 days in NYC , 1 day in Boston, 1 day in DC, plus two on-campus fairs, which are 2 or 3 days each.

We signed up for the three off-campus fairs at the same time. But each day of the NYC fairs, and each of the Boston and DC fairs, have their own lottery. We put in bids for each of those separately -- that is, we bid 1-15 on Monday for NYC, 1-15 on Tuesday for NYC, 1-6 for DC, etc. We haven't put in bids for the on-campus fairs yet, but I think the bids are for the fair overall (1-15 for all the firms coming M-W).

Did that make sense?

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 am

chatterbox43 wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:cornell 0L wondering - is getting interviews for the NYC job fair a separate process?


Not exactly. We have several job fairs: 3 days in NYC , 1 day in Boston, 1 day in DC, plus two on-campus fairs, which are 2 or 3 days each.

We signed up for the three off-campus fairs at the same time. But each day of the NYC fairs, and each of the Boston and DC fairs, have their own lottery. We put in bids for each of those separately -- that is, we bid 1-15 on Monday for NYC, 1-15 on Tuesday for NYC, 1-6 for DC, etc. We haven't put in bids for the on-campus fairs yet, but I think the bids are for the fair overall (1-15 for all the firms coming M-W).

Did that make sense?


So if you haven't put in bids for on campus fairs yet, what is everyone in this thread talking about?

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:23 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:
chatterbox43 wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:cornell 0L wondering - is getting interviews for the NYC job fair a separate process?


Not exactly. We have several job fairs: 3 days in NYC , 1 day in Boston, 1 day in DC, plus two on-campus fairs, which are 2 or 3 days each.

We signed up for the three off-campus fairs at the same time. But each day of the NYC fairs, and each of the Boston and DC fairs, have their own lottery. We put in bids for each of those separately -- that is, we bid 1-15 on Monday for NYC, 1-15 on Tuesday for NYC, 1-6 for DC, etc. We haven't put in bids for the on-campus fairs yet, but I think the bids are for the fair overall (1-15 for all the firms coming M-W).

Did that make sense?


So if you haven't put in bids for on campus fairs yet, what is everyone in this thread talking about?

our campus fair is the least important

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 am

mths wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
chatterbox43 wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:cornell 0L wondering - is getting interviews for the NYC job fair a separate process?


Not exactly. We have several job fairs: 3 days in NYC , 1 day in Boston, 1 day in DC, plus two on-campus fairs, which are 2 or 3 days each.

We signed up for the three off-campus fairs at the same time. But each day of the NYC fairs, and each of the Boston and DC fairs, have their own lottery. We put in bids for each of those separately -- that is, we bid 1-15 on Monday for NYC, 1-15 on Tuesday for NYC, 1-6 for DC, etc. We haven't put in bids for the on-campus fairs yet, but I think the bids are for the fair overall (1-15 for all the firms coming M-W).

Did that make sense?


So if you haven't put in bids for on campus fairs yet, what is everyone in this thread talking about?

our campus fair is the least important


thanks for the explanation, guys. just to get this clear - the people here are reporting interviews for the on campus fair.. right?

User avatar
afghan007
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby afghan007 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 am

The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am

afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.

I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby vexion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:51 am

mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.

I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.

I'll ask you to repeat that after zero AJF callbacks, before OCI. ;)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:04 pm

what are the chances of landing something good w/ a big firm at the regular OCI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Wow do I hate schedule conflicts.

I got one more today, bringing me up to 18.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.