Cornell OCI 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CyLaw

Gold

Re: Cornell OCI 2011

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 pm

vexion wrote:
mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.
I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.
I'll ask you to repeat that after zero AJF callbacks, before OCI. ;)
That's just cold hearted

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Yeah, it was... Long days are getting to me. I retract my previous snark.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:33 pm

vexion wrote:Yeah, it was... Long days are getting to me. I retract my previous snark.
cunt

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow do I hate schedule conflicts.

I got one more today, bringing me up to 18.
I got 3 more coming up to 15 -- I swear the lottery was on crack -- I picked up a 5, 6 and 9

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Picked up 3 new interviews - bringing me from 13 to 16! <3 open sign-ups!

The firms I picked up I bid 9, 7, and 9. But I also had a firm I'd bid 6 pop up with availability. Bizarre.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Does anyone know if this:
Also remember that additional open slots may become available in the coming days, so if you do not see an open slot of interest now, you can check back later.
actually happens?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:43 pm

I got my number 2 pick on day 1 through open sign up, bringing my interview total to 17 (all NYC).

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:50 pm

spaacecdt wrote:Does anyone know if this:
Also remember that additional open slots may become available in the coming days, so if you do not see an open slot of interest now, you can check back later.
actually happens?
People transferring out and people who accept other offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got my number 2 pick on day 1 through open sign up, bringing my interview total to 17 (all NYC).
this is what I mean

could we get a better fucking lottery system?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got my number 2 pick on day 1 through open sign up, bringing my interview total to 17 (all NYC).
this is what I mean

could we get a better fucking lottery system?
Probably why they call it a lottery and not a draft

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Try not to get too overwrought about OCI guys. The job prospects are never as rosy as the schools describe. Most firms remain nervous about hiring at all. To be honest it would be a good idea if you kept a list of mid and small law firms that you were interested in, in addition to doing all the OCI stuff. If OCI doesn't pan out for you then you can hit the ground running and have an advantage over many of your classmates who will be in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:04 pm

MrAnon wrote:Try not to get too overwrought about OCI guys. The job prospects are never as rosy as the schools describe. Most firms remain nervous about hiring at all. To be honest it would be a good idea if you kept a list of mid and small law firms that you were interested in, in addition to doing all the OCI stuff. If OCI doesn't pan out for you then you can hit the ground running and have an advantage over many of your classmates who will be in the same boat.
if you're talking about mass mailing then I'm sure everyone is doing that anyways, people would be silly to rely on 15 -20 screeners

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:06 pm

only 15-20? that's what people are getting this year?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:08 pm

MrAnon wrote:only 15-20? that's what people are getting this year?
yes so far the highest I've heard is 18 and the lowest 12

I talked to some rising 3Ls and they said it was the same last year (that 18 was on the high end)

edit: do you even go to cornell?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:50 pm

No but my ex went through OCI there when we were together.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm

actually happens?
Apparently- I went back a few minutes ago and found my #10 open. No idea how often that will happen though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm up to 20 now.

Everything's coming up Milhouse! (http://comingupmilhouse.com/)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
actually happens?
Apparently- I went back a few minutes ago and found my #10 open. No idea how often that will happen though.
Kinda sucks that you can only do it once a day. Is it once every 24 hours or will I be able to do it tomorrow morning? anyone have guesses?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
actually happens?
Kinda sucks that you can only do it once a day. Is it once every 24 hours or will I be able to do it tomorrow morning? anyone have guesses?
You can add an interview for M,T,W once each per day

So today if you added one for each of M,T, and W, tomorrow you can do that again

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote: You can add an interview for M,T,W once each per day

So today if you added one for each of M,T, and W, tomorrow you can do that again
Yeah I got that. I just wonder how they count days. Like 24 hours or at midnight haha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 pm

mths wrote:
afghan007 wrote:The title of this thread is a misnomer. This thread is about the august job fair (NYC, dc, and Boston). OCI bidding hasn't started yet.
I think everyone will agree that the august job fair is the only thing that matters.
Unless you're smart and realize that the quality of life and collegiality of large law firms outside of New York City lead to a happy and fulfilling career.

Seriously, y'all, don't underestimate how awesome it can be to be at large law firms in small cities. I am working at a firm in Upstate New York this summer (granted, I am from Upstate and didn't attend AJF because I knew I wanted to be here), and my firm seems to be more relaxed/friendly/unstressful than I had imagined a law firm could be. Small cities with high qualities of life and low costs of living are freaking awesome (not to mention the low leverage - at my firm they expect everyone will become a partner eventually).

(Anonymous because I'm one of three or so students at Cornell working upstate and if my firm saw this they would almost certainly know it was me and be able to read all my previous posts if I weren't anonymous)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mths wrote:
Unless you're smart and realize that the quality of life and collegiality of large law firms outside of New York City lead to a happy and fulfilling career.

Seriously, y'all, don't underestimate how awesome it can be to be at large law firms in small cities. I am working at a firm in Upstate New York this summer (granted, I am from Upstate and didn't attend AJF because I knew I wanted to be here), and my firm seems to be more relaxed/friendly/unstressful than I had imagined a law firm could be. Small cities with high qualities of life and low costs of living are freaking awesome (not to mention the low leverage - at my firm they expect everyone will become a partner eventually).

(Anonymous because I'm one of three or so students at Cornell working upstate and if my firm saw this they would almost certainly know it was me and be able to read all my previous posts if I weren't anonymous)
But your advice only works for people who can stomach a small city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 pm

mths wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mths wrote:

But your advice only works for people who can stomach a small city.
I know, I just said not to underestimate the awesomeness. If you know you can't deal with small cities, then you know that. And that's cool. I just meant if you're a person who can appreciate small cities, it's something to think about.

I feel like a lot of people go to New York because everyone else does it and because it's easiest, instead of going because they actually want to be in New York. That shit ain't healthy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm

does anyone see open slots today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone see open slots today?
Saw three or four. Snagged Cleary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”