Moving from BigLaw to Mid/Small City

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
meatball122

Moving from BigLaw to Mid/Small City

Postby meatball122 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Hello

I used the search function but the vast majority of info out there is big law (this is TLS.com afterall).

If one were to go to a mid T-14 schools (NU, mich, va, etc), work for 2-3 years in big law in NYC or Chicago, what would the transition be like to a smaller market like Rochester, Des Moines, Albany, Pittsburgh, Etc? I don't know much about law markets, so I'm not sure which cities are which size markets, but I think you all get the idea.

Basically, I'm engaged and the future Mrs Meatball would prefer to live in a place like the ones mentioned above. I'm actually in the same boat, since being a small fish an enormous pond isn't appealing. Even without that factor, I am very willing to make sacrifices for the beautiful future Mrs Meatball.

To be a bit more specific:
-Would you transfer in as a 3rd year associate at the same pay scale as someone from Univ of Iowa, Penn State, etc?
-Would you be better positioned than your peers for career development?
-Obviously there will be a pay cut, but to what extent? How much would the average 5 year attorney in Des Moines be making, ballpark? Think the cost of living will account for a good chunk of the pay decrease (eg, 30% salary decrease but 40% CoL decrease)?
-If one can demonstrate ties to the region (wife's family or job, for example), would job prospects be improved?

I'm a 0L putting together apps to T20 schools (but focusing on T-10). Still learning the employment side of the house, so please forgive any ignorance.

I intend to contact attorneys in those and similar markets with the sane question.

Any thoughts or advice?

meatball122

Re: Moving from BigLaw to Mid/Small City

Postby meatball122 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 am

Shameless bump... 8)

meatball122

Re: Moving from BigLaw to Mid/Small City

Postby meatball122 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Really? No one has any idea?

Return to “Legal Employment”