Out of state interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
huskylives

Out of state interviews

Postby huskylives » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Hey everyone,
I go to school out of state and am trying to schedule interviews while I am home, which is where I'd like to end up after graduating.

The good news: All the big firms I've applied to have scheduled me for interviews. I have 8 now, which I'm of course very grateful for. Two of the firms have scheduled me for 3-hr interview sessions that end with lunch with associates. (I think these are the equivalent of callbacks.)

The bad news: The other six have scheduled what I think are really just the equivalent of OCI's. 30-45 minutes with a few partners. One at lunch, the others at the office.

The question: What happens if I get callbacks? I worked before law school and know I interview well in person but I also know I am one of the world's worst telephone interviewers. I never know when to stop talking, I start talking the same time the person does on the other line, etc. It's bad. Unfortunately my school has no breaks between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, and I don't have a lot of cash for flights anyway. Obviously I need to talk specifically to each firm, but generally, do a lot of firms do video interviews? Would they reimburse for travel if I was able to get time of school?

I'm assuming it would be poor taste to try to pressure firms into doing callbacks now...

Thanks for any help!

Hunter

TaipeiMort

Re: Out of state interviews

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:37 pm

I had several lunch interviews last year as a 1L in a particular market. I found that the firms that only did lunch were not as prepared to actually hire me, and were more doing it for 2L OCI, one admitted that they weren't hiring for that satellite office and instead wanted for me to apply after 3-5 years with another big firm (basically an interview 5 years in advance).

Also, I wouldn't post with your name here frequently, firms do view these boards.

huskylives

Postby huskylives » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks man. A few things I wanted to clarify:
I wrote to all these firms requesting interviews for 2L summer associate positions, if that helps, which is how I got the interviews.
The 3-hr interviews also are with partners of each of the different departments at the firm, followed by the associate lunch.
No worries, Hunter isn't my real name. But thanks!

Wahoo1L

Postby Wahoo1L » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Most firms will reimburse you for travel and expenses if they invite you back for a callback.

Postby 071816 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Of all the cool fake names you could have chose, you picked Hunter?

huskylives

Postby huskylives » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

chimp wrote:Of all the cool fake names you could have chose, you picked Hunter?

Ha! Nice. Good point.

Return to “Legal Employment”