Top secondary journal position on resume -- useful?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top secondary journal position on resume -- useful?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 pm

I am a rising 2L at HYS with a top managerial position on a very relevant secondary journal to the area of law I will be interested in working.

I have some managerial/leadership experience in undergrad, but no real work experience demonstrating that. Should I list my top board position as an "experience" with a description of relevant things I've accomplished thus far? Or simply list it as an "activity" and instead use an undergrad leadership experience that may be a bit more comprehensive.

I've been getting mixed answers from friends. Will be submitting to career services as well, but thought I'd get opinions from here.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EliHBCU

Re: Top secondary journal position on resume -- useful?

Postby EliHBCU » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:40 pm

You're gonna get a law school answer from me.... "it depends".

"Experience" would not be where I would place it on my resume. I put board positions and equivalents under "Leadership". But resume's are all about playing to your strengths. By the end of my 3L year I had interned at a couple of places for extended periods (which gave me quality not quantity for my resume). So I wanted to highlight my leadership attributes to show potential employers that I wasn't a "groupthink" kind of person, I'm a leader. So it depends on what you want your resume to say about you, if you have other experience which is more important/relevant, what your desired career path is.... there are a bunch of considerations.

Hope that helps. =)

Return to “Legal Employment”