Minority fair int v. School/OCI int

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Minority fair int v. School/OCI int

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:48 pm

I am around the class median at a school ranked between 20 and 30. Also on Moot Court but not sure how much that matters to firms. I have somehow gotten around 15 interviews through a couple minority job fairs (definitely a huge surprise to me). I feel safe in guessing that I would not have gotten even a third of these strictly through my school’s on campus recruiting. (The firms are mostly NLJ250 with a few V100s in there as well).

Short of absolutely killing it at the interviews, do I actually have a chance at any of these? Or will my GPA essentially torpedo any chance I have at any of these positions before I even face employers? I guess I’m wondering what kind of footing I am on- feel dubious about my chances since it seems way easier to get interviews at the minority fairs. Thanks for the advice (and please be candid- I’m going to give my best shot at these interviews regardless, I just legitimately am questioning if I have a chance to make it work).

Doritos

Re: Minority fair int v. School/OCI int

Postby Doritos » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:49 pm

They are taking time to interview you right? That's half the battle. No one can say with certitude if the GPA will kill it for you. Being a minority makes you, and the process of hiring you, a hard to read black box. Probably depends on the firm, but if they are interviewing you I sell yourself like crazy, rehearse your answers, be so incredibly charming, and all that jazz. Thats really all you can do. And pray. Pray to whatever it is you call a God.

Good luck friend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 am

I'm in similar boat here. I'm excited but also think that they are trying to fill some quota.

However, I plan on rehearsing like crazy and killing it. The way I see it, I have nothing to lose!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 am

You know how many people apply to these things? They are not just making random selections out of a hat. It's everyone's fair game.

Return to “Legal Employment”