GW OCI for PT student

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jmin

GW OCI for PT student

Postby jmin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Hey,

I'm a rising 3LE (part time) student at GW with a 3.4 GPA and my class rank is between 16 - 35% (assuming I'm somewhere near 35% since the curve is a B+). I dont have any extracurriculars.

I had an appointment with a counselor at the CDO and she didn't seem to think I had that great of a shot during OCI.

That said, any advice on what types of firms I should bid on? I was planning to only bid on those that say they want ranks of 25% or lower (or those that dont mention ranks)?

Thanks!

Eco

Re: GW OCI for PT student

Postby Eco » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:46 pm

What did the CDO say? It might be that you're an evening student that looks bad rather than your GPA and class rank.

jmin

Postby jmin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:15 pm

yeah, she didn't seem to imply that PT students fared worse, but its hard not to come to that conclusion when you look at OCI history in terms of # of people who bid/# who got interviews.

I followed up and my counselor said I should target the firms asking for top 33%. So, it seems like she's saying not to reach for the firms that even say top 20 or 25 percent.

Does anyone else have any insights/advice on OCI?

Thanks!

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:28 pm

jmin wrote:yeah, she didn't seem to imply that PT students fared worse, but its hard not to come to that conclusion when you look at OCI history in terms of # of people who bid/# who got interviews.

I followed up and my counselor said I should target the firms asking for top 33%. So, it seems like she's saying not to reach for the firms that even say top 20 or 25 percent.

Does anyone else have any insights/advice on OCI?

Thanks!

Clueless 0L to be starting at GW this fall here. Are you saying that the counselors (by saying you didn't have a great shot at OCI) were saying that you were unlikely to biglaw? I had figured that being top 35% at GW would make you very likely to get biglaw, sucks if being PT would hurt you, I would never have guessed that.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:05 pm

You should probably bid on some of those 25%'ers OP. The trick is to bid on them selectively. Target ones with large class sizes and see if TLS can give you advice as to which aren't as hard on GPAs as they say they are.

Eco

Postby Eco » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:40 am

Yeah I think the CDO is just being extremely pessimistic. Do take her advice and apply to 33%ers etc... but don't ignore the others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 pm

results are in and only got 4 preselects. much worse than I expected but it looks like the CDO person did seem to know what she was talking about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:results are in and only got 4 preselects. much worse than I expected but it looks like the CDO person did seem to know what she was talking about.

I think results were far worse than anyone outside of top 15% expected - even accounting for ITE.

Seems like IP students did ok though.

Eco

Postby Eco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:17 pm

I mean 4 preselects for a 3L evening student IMO you should be happy.

Return to “Legal Employment”