CLS bid list - Stone but not law review? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CLS bid list - Stone but not law review?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure what are 'reaches' for me - I did decently but not stellar grades and am on a journal but not law review. Also no idea how to rank them strategically - they're mostly in the order of how happy I would be to get a callback right now.

Cleary
Allen & Overy
Shearman & Sterling
Weil
Simpson
White & Case
clifford chance
Jones Day
Latham
Paul Weiss
Quinn
Debevoise
Linklaters
Crowell & Moring
Gibson Dunn
Bingham McCutchen
Patton Boggs
Baker & McKenzie
Fulbright & Jaworski
Hubbard Hughes
Dechert
Herbert Smith
WilmerHale
Orrick Herrington
Boies Schiller
Vinson & Elkins
Milbank Tweed

Rule11

Bronze

Re: CLS bid list - Stone but not law review?

Post by Rule11 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Any idea what you want to do at a firm? That's a pretty scattershot list in terms of practice-area focuses and firm cultures.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Not really (obviously). Work, get paid, eventually be happy. I guess lit right now but I don't want to rule anything out so trying to stick with places where I can at least rotate through different areas.

What are the big misfits on that list?

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:15 pm

I wouldn't say there are serious misfits on there--I just couldn't really pick up on a unifying theme. Obviously Boies and Quinn are basically all litigation, but some of the others are really much better known for transactional work (Simpson, Latham, Milbank, e.g.). One thing you might want to investigate if you're unsure what you want to do is how firms assign you to practice groups after your summer. Off the top of my head, Latham uses a very flexible "unassigned" system for your first two years, so you can be doing just about anything (but you also may end up underspecialized), whereas Milbank gives you a hard assignment before you start (with your preference being important but not dispositive, so if you prefer lit but they want you in Lev Fin, you lose).

Overall, it looks like a solid list to me. Stone is top 1/3, right? And you want to be in NY? If so, I think you can safely eliminate baker and mckenzie (no offense to them or anyone who works there--they aren't dla piper, but they've got a similar model going on). Not sure that Orrick would be a good choice either.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not really (obviously). Work, get paid, eventually be happy. I guess lit right now but I don't want to rule anything out so trying to stick with places where I can at least rotate through different areas.

What are the big misfits on that list?
You should probably aim for more V10s. Skadden, Davis Polk, Sullivan, Cravath should be on there. You're missing Kirkland too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Rule11 wrote: I think you can safely eliminate Baker and McKenzie (no offense to them or anyone who works there--they aren't DLA Piper, but they've got a similar model going on). Not sure that Orrick would be a good choice either.

Agreed with what has been said. It is a conservative list. A lot of brand names are missing.

Also, ordering by where you want to work isn't so great. The interview bid ratio is much more helpful in getting interviews.

For example, Cleary has a .84 ratio (meaning 84% of people who bid got an interview). Having them first is probably not the best idea. Linklaters has a .5 ratio and having them so low probably means you won't get an interview. If you switched them, you would probably get interviews at both.
Last edited by swc65 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Not OP, but same position. What do you guys think?

Sidley NY
Weil NY
Proskauer NY
Paul Hastings NY
Ropes NY
Skadden NY
Cleary NY
Boies NY
Shearman NY
Sullivan NY
Debevoise NY
Gibson Dunn NY