Question for Government Lawyer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Prime Number

Question for Government Lawyer

Postby Prime Number » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I would like to know what background check form is required for the various attorney positions with the federal government. I know that DOJ requires SF-85P. What about the EPA attorneys who work in the Office of General Counsel or Office of Enforcement, Compliance, and Assurance? And what about the attorneys who work at the Solicitor's Office for the Department of the Interior? Or the attorneys who work for the Department of Energy? Do they have to apply using SF-85 or SF-85P? I am wondering because these forms are different and it does make a difference to me in deciding whether to apply for these positions at all.

Anonymous User

Re: Question for Government Lawyer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:20 am

Nuclear Regulatory Commission requires SF-86. I'd expect that DoE requires the SF-86 as well, but I don't know for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Thank you for your response.

Prime Number

Postby Prime Number » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nuclear Regulatory Commission requires SF-86. I'd expect that DoE requires the SF-86 as well, but I don't know for sure.

Thank you for your response. Do you know what the other agencies require? Is there any way you could find out so that I know before I start applying to these places?

npe

Postby npe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:45 am

Prime Number wrote:Is there any way you could find out so that I know before I start applying to these places?

Just call up HR and ask. They should be able to tell you pretty easily.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:04 am

I've done a SF-85P (seven year) and a SF-86 (ten year) for two different DOJ positions. It may depend on what element you're applying to.

Assuming things haven't changed in the last few years, DOE is definitely SF-86 (although it can be a seven year uncleared, a seven year L, a ten year Q, or a ten year "plus" Q+W at the option of the agency), as is NNSA.

I've bounced between different security clearances for almost a decade now. There's a catchall question that all the contract investigators ask you in person, regardless of what level clearance you're going for. It's like a page long, but the gist is, "If there's anything in your past—no matter how long ago—that you were not required to disclose, but any objective person would think has any bearing at all on your fitness for this clearance, speak now."

Whatever you're form shopping for will have to be disclosed on that question. Maybe you'll luck out and they'll not interview you on an 85 (I think it depends on the investigator), but that's not a minor risk, and you'll have to foreclose. If they ding you on a clearance for not being totally honest, you can bet that your bar association is going to hear about it.

Return to “Legal Employment”