Proper way of putting two Journals on resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
de5igual

Proper way of putting two Journals on resume?

Postby de5igual » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:02 pm

not law review, but two secondaries

i was already on a journal 1L year, but i then got on a "better" one through the write-on. the old one pertains more to my interests, but ultimately i want to join the new one too for various reasons. does it look bad having two? if i had to drop one, i'd probably drop the old one, but even then, i'm not sure how to present this on a resume.

would this be right?
- Old Journal, staff editor - Spring 2011
- New Journal, member

thesealocust

Re: Proper way of putting two Journals on resume?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Being on two journals is an objectively poor choice and you should avoid it at all costs.

As for how to list it if you drop one, the most conservative approach would simply be to never mention the first, and some organizations advocate for that policy (my school allows people to join secondary journals, then quit if they later get on law review). Who knows though, it's a weird area.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 pm

thesealocust wrote:Being on two journals is an objectively poor choice and you should avoid it at all costs.

As for how to list it if you drop one, the most conservative approach would simply be to never mention the first, and some organizations advocate for that policy (my school allows people to join secondary journals, then quit if they later get on law review). Who knows though, it's a weird area.

i'm just afraid that it makes it look like i did nothing outside of classes 1L year when i spent a decent amount of time bluebooking on weekends

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 pm

* shrug *

Just don't do two journals, or you'll make me loathe humanity even more than I already do.

Dman

Postby Dman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am

thesealocust wrote:Just don't do two journals, or you'll make me loathe humanity even more than I already do.

I guess I am failing to understand why two journals are a bad thing. I work on three journals (2 school run and 1 professional) all in areas of interest to me. I can't see how listing my involvement would be viewed as a negative.

I am not trying to be obtuse, but I would like to further understand your thinking.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 am

list one, or two. it really doesn't matter. nobody looking at your resume is ever going to say "Shit! THis guy has TWO journals listed! HIRED!!" indeed, I doubt anyone will ever care at all.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:37 pm

gwuorbust wrote:list one, or two. it really doesn't matter. nobody looking at your resume is ever going to say "Shit! THis guy has TWO journals listed! HIRED!!" indeed, I doubt anyone will ever care at all.

obviously

i was more concerned about the reverse—basically the sentiment expressed by thesealocust

i only want to list one, but i also don't want it to look like i did nothing 1L year

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:40 pm

f0bolous wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:list one, or two. it really doesn't matter. nobody looking at your resume is ever going to say "Shit! THis guy has TWO journals listed! HIRED!!" indeed, I doubt anyone will ever care at all.

obviously

i was more concerned about the reverse—basically the sentiment expressed by thesealocust

i only want to list one, but i also don't want it to look like i did nothing 1L year

I think firms understand that most people just study full-time their first year.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 pm

f0bolous wrote:

obviously

I think thesealocust was saying not to be on two because it would be a ton of work and make you hate your life. I can't imagine putting both or putting just one would make much of a difference. I would put both probably.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:50 pm

f0bolous wrote:

obviously

Employers aren't going to know or care what you did and did not do 1L year. Law students tend to stress out over what activities to list, but other than Law Review, there's basically no activity that will have more than a very minor impact on your chances. The only real benefit to certain activities is that they give you something to talk about at the interviews ("So I see you're a member of the Virginia Journal of Insurance in North America." "Yeah, I really love insurance--I'm editting this fascinating article on a feminist approach to subrogation rights in California." "That sounds interesting. I'm actually working on a case right now for a prestigious client that involves subrogation. It's really important work and I'm contributing a lot to society."). Just list your new journal.

Return to “Legal Employment”