Should law students give out business cards?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Should law students give out business cards?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:29 pm

sharklasers wrote:no, god no ... and you should not post your undergrad degree and "JD Candidate" in your email signature ... it's like an 8 year old putting on her mother's makeup, except instead of an 8 year old, it's a mentally ill 32 year old with the capacity of an 8 year old putting on her mother's makeup

oh, and studying at a bar does not meaningfully distinguish you from undergraduates, it's just weird

:?:

I don't use the signature in emails to other STUDENTS (because that would be lame), but would it be wrong to use this say, in a thank you email to someone after OCI? I used this for my summer job search and it didn't seem to cause any significant harm, but perhaps it's still a minus?

This is the first time I have heard that an email signature with some school and contact info is a bad thing to do.

sharklasers

Postby sharklasers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Career services gave us 1l business cards and I just laughed and threw them away. I think a signature is douchey too. Who would I ever be emailing that would need to know I was a law student but I wouldn't just say in the first line that I was a law student?

what LS? this is possibly the most damning piece of evidence I've heard that LS OCS people are seriously not qualified even to give basic business advice.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:55 pm

sharklasers wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Career services gave us 1l business cards and I just laughed and threw them away. I think a signature is douchey too. Who would I ever be emailing that would need to know I was a law student but I wouldn't just say in the first line that I was a law student?

what LS? this is possibly the most damning piece of evidence I've heard that LS OCS people are seriously not qualified even to give basic business advice.

Illinois. They also tell us to wear black suits to OCI, so I don't feel bad about publicly disparaging them.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
sharklasers wrote:

Illinois. They also tell us to wear black suits to OCI, so I don't feel bad about publicly disparaging them.

Same school that charges hundreds of dollars to give letters of good standing for transfer applicants?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Yup. They try to keep us from transferring and then try to keep us from getting jobs.

Seriously I love Illinois though. I just hate career services.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:11 pm

I completely agree that business cards are douchey and therefore didn't buy them, but I have been asked 4 or 5 times this summer if I had one at networking type events in the Northeast. These events all were for public-interest minded groups though and I suspect thesealocut's advice about it being extremely unusual at a firm event is accurate.

Return to “Legal Employment”