Should law students give out business cards?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shoeshine

Should law students give out business cards?

Postby shoeshine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 pm

I recently met a law student at a networking function that had her own business cards. She went to a school ranked mid 40's and was in the top ten percent of her class. She explained that her school encouraged students to hand business cards out for networking purposes.

The card was really official and it had her school name/logo, her name, her contact info, and her expected graduation year.

Is this common practice for law students? Does it help with networking/oci? It strikes me as sort of ridiculous but I am willing to try anything that gets me a job.

Edit:
Also, this was my reaction-
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by shoeshine on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Re: Should law students give out business cards?

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 pm

It's generally more of a B school thing. I think it's a little on the douchey side and minimally (if at all) helpful.

Mitch McDeere

Postby Mitch McDeere » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:49 pm

A 2L handed me a business card during 1L orientation last year. I was not impressed.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:51 pm

The search function, it is your friend.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 pm

bk1 wrote:The search function, it is your friend.

Dammit. Rookie mistake. Here is the relevant thread for those who care; viewtopic.php?f=23&t=124623&start=0

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm

My school did the same thing with business cards. Attorneys that I know personally thought the concept was laughable. No student business card "networking" ever turned into anything productive for me. All my important networking came from when they gave me their information, not the other way around.

If someone is interested in you, they will give you their card or information. That way, YOU can contact them. They aren't going to take the time out of their busy schedules to write to some kid that handed them a business card.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:58 pm

We've had epic fucking debates about this. The conclusion is probably "no, it's a bad idea" at least giving them out on your own, though there is some argument (1) that it can be handy if it is requested of you and (2) it might vary based on geography and/or employment preference.

I can tell you close to flat out that for big firm recruiting in the mid-atlantic / north east, business cards for law students are no bueno. Your mileage elsewhere may vary.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:58 pm

No -- it's lame and pretentious.

Business cards are for people who matter; not first-year law students.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:04 am

nickwar wrote:No -- it's lame and pretentious.

This. As a law student you are not going to be in a position where a person will need your business card. No one is going to contact you. You will be taking other people's business card and contacting them.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:37 am

Having a business card as a 1L (or any other year for that matter) is fine. Giving one out unless asked for is not. I went the safe route and did not get any.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 am

go hipster business card. name on front, phone number on back.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:25 pm

gwuorbust wrote:go hipster business card. name on front, phone number on back.

and not rectangular.

Postby 071816 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm

There was this guy at a scholarship reception for admitted students that I went to who was wearing a full-on suit and handing his business cards out to anyone with a pulse (including professors). I thought it was a bit premature, to say the least.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:47 pm

shoeshine wrote:
bk1 wrote:The search function, it is your friend.

Dammit. Rookie mistake. Here is the relevant thread for those who care; viewtopic.php?f=23&t=124623&start=0

holydonkey's business card was glorious:

holydonkey wrote:Get them, just keep it simple. Name, phone, email, name of school and grad year.

Also, you should put an inspiring quote on it. For example:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:49 pm

TTH wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:go hipster business card. name on front, phone number on back.

and not rectangular.

random pieces of cardboard is TCR

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Its just as douchey as having "J.D. Candidate" in your email signature. NO SHIT, YOU ARE A LAW STUDENT.

I always found that douchetastic.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 pm

missinglink wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Its just as douchey as having "J.D. Candidate" in your email signature. NO SHIT, YOU ARE A LAW STUDENT.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't do this.

Pretty much every email I get from a fellow law student has one of the long email signatures - full name, law email address, J.D. candidate, etc.

I'm thinking about putting one of those confidentiality warnings on all of my emails, telling the recipient to destroy the email if they aren't the intended recipient. :)

Good idea or great idea?

Is this really douchetastic?

I personally have one and didn't think much of it, because I thought it'd be easier to have all my contact info in one place and indicate that I'm sending the email in a professional capacity.

Otherwise, I feel like my emails look very bare.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:30 pm

i'm thinking of adding a sig to my law school email account... it just seems professional to me. anyone else think this is douchy?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
missinglink wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:Its just as douchey as having "J.D. Candidate" in your email signature. NO SHIT, YOU ARE A LAW STUDENT.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't do this.

Pretty much every email I get from a fellow law student has one of the long email signatures - full name, law email address, J.D. candidate, etc.

I'm thinking about putting one of those confidentiality warnings on all of my emails, telling the recipient to destroy the email if they aren't the intended recipient. :)

Good idea or great idea?

Is this really douchetastic?

I personally have one and didn't think much of it, because I thought it'd be easier to have all my contact info in one place and indicate that I'm sending the email in a professional capacity.

Otherwise, I feel like my emails look very bare.

No, it's douchetastic to think it's douchetastic. Without a signature, how the fuck would people who've never heard of you know who you are, unless of course you've incorporated "LAW STUDENT" into your name or something? What, attach a resume to everything? The email signature should be short though, it can always be removed manually.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 pm

spanktheduck wrote:

This. As a law student you are not going to be in a position where a person will need your business card. No one is going to contact you. You will be taking other people's business card and contacting them.

lol.. this post makes me think you are both OLs, but I just saw from profile that at least one of you has been on TLS for ages, so prob not. But really the only TCR to this question IMO is in fact "Yes," you should have business cards as a law student. Especially for interviews, networking, and summer jobs they can be critical, and not having them is a sign of unprofessionalism IMO.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:

lol.. this post makes me think you are both OLs, but I just saw from profile that at least one of you has been on TLS for ages, so prob not. But really the only TCR to this question IMO is in fact "Yes," you should have business cards as a law student. Especially for interviews, networking, and summer jobs they can be critical, and not having them is a sign of unprofessionalism IMO.

Like I tried to point out above, it's regional / practice area specific thing. At a top school looking for a standard big firm job in the northeast, business cards would be a fairly dramatic breach of protocol. That may not be true of all practice areas, geographies, and firms, but it's certainly the case in that world.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:

how? how could it possible be critical?

sharklasers

Postby sharklasers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:19 pm

no, god no ... and you should not post your undergrad degree and "JD Candidate" in your email signature ... it's like an 8 year old putting on her mother's makeup, except instead of an 8 year old, it's a mentally ill 32 year old with the capacity of an 8 year old putting on her mother's makeup

oh, and studying at a bar does not meaningfully distinguish you from undergraduates, it's just weird

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Career services gave us 1l business cards and I just laughed and threw them away. I think a signature is douchey too. Who would I ever be emailing that would need to know I was a law student but I wouldn't just say in the first line that I was a law student?

Return to “Legal Employment”