Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Need advice urgently. The deadline at CLS to get the bid lists in is tommorow afternoon. I really haven't done my due dilegence and researched the process throughly. I'm hoping my high grades can bail me out.

FYI for any non-CLSers…..Stone is given to the top 30% at CLS……My GPA however is about 3.65 which I think is around top 10%. I also found out that I made Law Review last week.

What firms should I bid on?

Don’t care about litigation or corporate. Just want to be at the firm where I can have the best exit options to either do in-house work or high level government.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Do you have any idea how obnoxious of a post this is? You not only didn't do any research, but you didn't even mention a single kind of firm or geographic preference.

If you want to work in NYC, fire up a copy of Vault, and bid on every firm from #1 to #50 or so that has 'NYC' as its HQ. Then add the NYC offices of firms in the top 20 or so that have headquarters in places like DC, Chicago, or California.

Also I hate you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Not the OP, but similarly situated.

How much does bid ordering matter for someone in OP's position? Should he just rank firms purely based on preferences, or would it still make sense to spend the highest bids on less-selective firms that get lots of bids?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not the OP, but similarly situated.

How much does bid ordering matter for someone in OP's position? Should he just rank firms purely based on preferences, or would it still make sense to spend the highest bids on less-selective firms that get lots of bids?


Probably smarter to bid on preference, but attempt to avoid putting any firm that NEVER fills its interview schedule in your top 5 or 10 or so.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need advice urgently. The deadline at CLS to get the bid lists in is tommorow afternoon. I really haven't done my due dilegence and researched the process throughly. I'm hoping my high grades can bail me out.

FYI for any non-CLSers…..Stone is given to the top 30% at CLS……My GPA however is about 3.65 which I think is around top 10%. I also found out that I made Law Review last week.

What firms should I bid on?

Don’t care about litigation or corporate. Just want to be at the firm where I can have the best exit options to either do in-house work or high level government.


Bid the V20. Split remaining bids between Irell, Munger, Susman and add some DC firms if you want to do government. Enjoy your V5 job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Need advice urgently. The deadline at CLS to get the bid lists in is tommorow afternoon. I really haven't done my due dilegence and researched the process throughly. I'm hoping my high grades can bail me out.

FYI for any non-CLSers…..Stone is given to the top 30% at CLS……My GPA however is about 3.65 which I think is around top 10%. I also found out that I made Law Review last week.

What firms should I bid on?

Don’t care about litigation or corporate. Just want to be at the firm where I can have the best exit options to either do in-house work or high level government.


Bid the V20. Split remaining bids between Irell, Munger, Susman and add some DC firms if you want to do government. Enjoy your V5 job.


OP here: how should I order my bids?

should I go straight down the Vault rankings or make Davis Polk/Clearly #1 since they seem to be popular in terms of bids?

thanks

viking138
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Stone + Law Review...where should I bid?

Postby viking138 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: how should I order my bids?

should I go straight down the Vault rankings or make Davis Polk/Clearly #1 since they seem to be popular in terms of bids?

thanks


The obnoxious OP and your egregious typos make me think this is liLtuneChi. Anyway, don't bid "Clearly" or Davis Polk #1 since they have close to a 1:1 bid to interview ratio. If you really like them, put them in the top 15, but make your top 5 smaller firms with fewer schedules that you're really interested in. For example, if you're really interested in litigation, you might put Susman as your number one.

Edited to add: If you really care about exit options, a firm like Wachtell is a "golden ticket." Although I know similar firms looked down on anything lower than a 3.7 last year, so good luck.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.