Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:28 pm

... or will it just raise the question "Why didn't you make law review"?

Also, the secondary journal membership is based entirely on the write-on. Should I emphasize this point to market my writing skills?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Your question does not resolve. Is it a secondary from your old school, or new school? Have you done any work for it yet?

And there aren't, to my knowledge, secondaries that use anything BUT the write-on to make decisions, so I would not 'emphasize' that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:Your question does not resolve. Is it a secondary from your old school, or new school? Have you done any work for it yet?

And there aren't, to my knowledge, secondaries that use anything BUT the write-on to make decisions, so I would not 'emphasize' that.

OP here. Secondary at old school, sorry. No work, just an invite.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:36 pm

No, you should not list that on your resume or mention it in your application materials.

/thread

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:51 pm

I disagree to a certain degree.

If you are applying to transfer to your new school, definitely put it on there.

However, i am assuming you have already transfered and are now doing OCI at your new school. This answer is a bit more difficult, but definitely not a blanket no.


There is a situation which warrants it:
If you have transferred to a school that has a special write on competition for transfer students, you should include it on your resume. This is because you will be competing against "normal" students who have already written on to a journal, and an employer wants to know if you at least have a fighting chance of writing onto a journal at your new school if he's going to offer you a callback/job before transfer write-on results get back.

Personally, I wrote on to every secondary journal at my old school, and I specifically included that fact on my resume. However, now that the results of the write on competition have come and gone, that isn't on my resume anymore.

On the other hand, if law review was yours to lose and you lost it... then yes... maybe its best to try and avoid that subject...

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Total Litigator wrote:I disagree to a certain degree.

If you are applying to transfer to your new school, definitely put it on there.

However, i am assuming you have already transfered and are now doing OCI at your new school.
This answer is a bit more difficult, but definitely not ablanket no.


There is a situation which warrants it:
If you have transferred to a school that has a special write on competition for transfer students, you should include it on your resume. This is because you will be competing against "normal" students who have already written on to a journal, and an employer wants to know if you at least have a fighting chance of writing onto a journal at your new school if he's going to offer you a callback/job before transfer write-on results get back.

Personally, I wrote on to every secondary journal at my old school, and I specifically included that fact on my resume. However, now that the results of the write on competition have come and gone, that isn't on my resume anymore.

On the other hand, if law review was yours to lose and you lost it... then yes... maybe its best to try and avoid that subject...


I realize I'm being a dick, but there's no room for argument on this one. It's neither impressive nor relevant that you almost were on a journal that wasn't law review.

There's a tiny amount of room for argument over an invitation to join LR at a prior school (I still wouldn't list it) but this is pretty clear.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:I realize I'm being a dick, but there's no room for argument on this one. It's neither impressive nor relevant that you almost were on a journal that wasn't law review.

There's a tiny amount of room for argument over an invitation to join LR at a prior school (I still wouldn't list it) but this is pretty clear.



OK. I think you're right if you are making a big jump in the rankings, one where your class rank at your old school is at least top 10%. It's all relative though. As long as the conditions in my previous post were fulfilled, if OP is making a lateral enough transfer (e.g. from a school where top 33%, top 25% or even top 20% got him into his new school), law review would not be expected of him. I think then it would help your application by (a) showing you have the drive to go through a write on process even when you are considering transferring, (b) offering further proof beyond your Legal Writing grade that you have competitive writing skills, and (c) showing that you have a fighting chance of successfully writing on to one of your new school's journals.

Perhaps we will just have to agree to disagree.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby lawgod » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:And there aren't, to my knowledge, secondaries that use anything BUT the write-on to make decisions, so I would not 'emphasize' that.


In my school there aren't any journals that don't use grades partially (except 10 spots on LR). As there aren't any journals that use grades exclusively.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Kronk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Wouldn't you put it on your resume in the same way you'd put membership in a student group on your resume?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:35 pm

Kronk wrote:Wouldn't you put it on your resume in the same way you'd put membership in a student group on your resume?


But you never participated in it. You put a student group since you were a member in the past year. It would be like putting on a student group that you hadn't joined yet, but planned to join had you not transferred. Makes no difference since you aren't actually participating. And unlike LR, the invite itself isn't all that big a deal either. So I see no point in listing it out.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Kronk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm

kaiser wrote:
Kronk wrote:Wouldn't you put it on your resume in the same way you'd put membership in a student group on your resume?


But you never participated in it. You put a student group since you were a member in the past year. It would be like putting on a student group that you hadn't joined yet, but planned to join had you not transferred. Makes no difference since you aren't actually participating. And unlike LR, the invite itself isn't all that big a deal either. So I see no point in listing it out.


Gotcha, should've read the OP more closely.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:08 am

Kronk wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Kronk wrote:Wouldn't you put it on your resume in the same way you'd put membership in a student group on your resume?


But you never participated in it. You put a student group since you were a member in the past year. It would be like putting on a student group that you hadn't joined yet, but planned to join had you not transferred. Makes no difference since you aren't actually participating. And unlike LR, the invite itself isn't all that big a deal either. So I see no point in listing it out.


Gotcha, should've read the OP more closely.


Its kind of like putting Phi Beta Kappa on your resume even though you don't go to any meetings. Its the fact you qualified that counts. And yes I know the prestige of Phi Beta Kappa in undergrad doesn't compare to that of a secondary journal in law school, but I'm just trying to make a point.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:33 am

"Pfft, he wasn't even good enough at his original school (that we probably don't interview at or hire many people at) to make Law Review. Why should we hire him?"

Leave it the hell off.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Should I put a secondary journal on a transfer resume?

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Fine. OP, if your transfer was more lateral than vertical, put it on. If your transfer was more vertical than lateral, leave it off.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.