Florida bright futures on 1L resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dabbadon8

Florida bright futures on 1L resume?

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Just a quick q, was wondering if I should include full bright futures on my resume, under my undergrad, for my 1L job search. The line would say more specifically something like "Florida Academic Scholars Award Recipient (Full Tuition Scholarship)" which is the name of the full scholarship. For those of you who don't know what bright futures is, it is automatic scholarships from the state if you meet certain SAT and GPA requirements. I know it isn't exactly prestigious, but would it be worth putting on? (Might it help explain any questions why I went to the flagship state school instead of some place more competitive?)

gov

Re: Florida bright futures on 1L resume?

Postby gov » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:19 pm

It had never crossed my mind to put it on a resume - just because it is common (well, used to be when the reqs were so super low).

I don't think it would hurt, though.

Mitch McDeere

Postby Mitch McDeere » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I was told by Career Placement to put it on mine. I can't think of any possible reason not to put it on your resume.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:34 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Just a quick q, was wondering if I should include full bright futures on my resume, under my undergrad, for my 1L job search. The line would say more specifically something like "Florida Academic Scholars Award Recipient (Full Tuition Scholarship)" which is the name of the full scholarship. For those of you who don't know what bright futures is, it is automatic scholarships from the state if you meet certain SAT and GPA requirements. I know it isn't exactly prestigious, but would it be worth putting on? (Might it help explain any questions why I went to the flagship state school instead of some place more competitive?)

Pretty much everyone who went to a Florida public school was on bright futures. I think at UF it's like over 80% of in state students were on the full scholarship and another 18% were on the 75% scholarship. It's just not impressive, especially not to in-state firms who know what bright futures is.

That said, if you for some reason have empty space on your resume, which might indicate other problems, it certainly can't hurt you to put it. It just seems like there are so many better things that could go on there.

Things to put on your resume that would serve you better than listing the bright futures scholarship:

Guild leader in World of Warcraft
    Nascar enthusiast
    Middle school science award

That's just off the top of my head though...

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Ha, well, I have other stuff to put on my resume, I guess I will run it by career services when I can. I figured since it won't literally say the words "bright futures" on it, that it might be ok, possibly more so for firms outside of florida. Thought it could of been a decent blurb under my undergrad since my frat positions won't be on there and other than volunteer work, the only things I have to put with undergrad is latin honors and that I was in the honors program.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Bright Futures is not prestigious. It is only slightly more prestigious than FL pre-paid.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 pm

rad law wrote:Bright Futures is not prestigious. It is only slightly more prestigious than FL pre-paid.

Well I guess that answers my next question... :lol:

gov

Postby gov » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 pm

rad law wrote:Bright Futures is not prestigious. It is only slightly more prestigious than FL pre-paid.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:20 pm

LOL @ the thought of anyone from Florida having a "bright future"

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:21 am

LOL, doesn't everyone in Florida get this automatically? Almost everyone I know has Bright Futures.

Nicholas Nickleby

Postby Nicholas Nickleby » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:33 am

No.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:28 am

IIRC UF undergrad is pretty damn hard to get into, hence why so much of the class has Bright Futures.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 am

I don't see why not. Bright futures is definitely not in any way prestigious in FL, but I have something like "Florida Academic Scholars Award, Full tuition scholarship" on my resume. Other states don't know how easy it is to get bright futures :D

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:07 am

Just call yourself a FullBright Scholar and hope that it pans out for the better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:58 am

I'm not from Florida, but I had a full ride scholarship to a top private school, and its definitely on my resume and career services told me to put it there as well as my lawl school scholarship. My UG scholarship came up several times in 1L summer job interviews. Some people were definitely impressed.

It's a talking point.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:08 am

Not to sound like a total gunner, but I had this same question about a similar scholarship in Missouri. So I checked the Duke career manual, and the answer is to leave it off. Though frat positions might actually be fair game to include if they show leadership.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:30 am

beachbum wrote:Not to sound like a total gunner, but I had this same question about a similar scholarship in Missouri. So I checked the Duke career manual, and the answer is to leave it off. Though frat positions might actually be fair game to include if they show leadership.

You referring to where they said not to list scholarships that depend on scores to standardized test? (Not to sound like a total gunner back)

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:38 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Not to sound like a total gunner, but I had this same question about a similar scholarship in Missouri. So I checked the Duke career manual, and the answer is to leave it off. Though frat positions might actually be fair game to include if they show leadership.

You referring to where they said not to list scholarships that depend on scores to standardized test? (Not to sound like a total gunner back)

haha yeah, that's the one

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am

beachbum wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

haha yeah, that's the one

I kinda thought that was a little ambiguous. Guess it doesn't matter too much for now since I am not sending out resumes for a while. I'll leave in on and make a note to ask career services about it.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:20 pm

I have had to do some non-legal hiring and I dislike seeing frats. It makes me think that you didn't have anything better to list, which means you are less qualified than the people with much better things listed. hence your resume get archived.

and for law students, if you don't have anything better to put on then your frat then you in for a tough slog in finding a jerb.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm

meh, I put law school shcolarship on my resume and it's not even close to a full tuition scholarship. I say do it (of course it's unlikely to have any effect either way, and it probably wouldn't anyway even if the scholarship was super hard to get).

Return to “Legal Employment”