Philly Phirms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTH

Philly Phirms

Postby TTH » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Hey y'all,

There's a few firms I have an opportunity to bid on in Philly through this sorta-kinda OCI thing. Just curious what does it take (with moderate regional ties, if it matters) to crack any of these firms from a non-T14?

Dechert
Ballard Spahr
Saul Ewing (any info about the Bal'mer office would be useful too)

Anonymous User

Re: Philly Phirms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:16 am

Need more specifics about your stats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 am

Not OP, but curious still. T2, Top 20%, strong local ties. Curious about lesser Philly and DE firms as well...

robert85

Postby robert85 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but curious still. T2, Top 20%, strong local ties. Curious about lesser Philly and DE firms as well...

Villanova?

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need more specifics about your stats.

don't really want to throw my stats out there since I didn't post anon, so hypothetically what class rank would someone from a T1, on Law Review, with decent ties to the region need to have to get a sniff from the Philly/Baltimore firms?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

I've got a couple ties to Philly too, and I'd guess that top 10% will make give you a good chance, top 15% will give you a fighting chance, and top 20% will give you a prayer.

The firms there seem to be pretty parochial, so it will help if they're at least familiar with your school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:22 pm

I was top ~35% at Chicago, with fairly strong ties to Philly, and had callbacks at Dechert, MLB, Duane Morris, Drinker Biddle, and Cozen O'Connor. Accepted callbacks at the first three, and got offers from MLB and DM (withdrew from Dechert before hearing about an offer).

Ties are huge, they will ask you about your ties in the initial OCI interview right out of the gate.

Return to “Legal Employment”