best/worst job rejection letters?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CG614

Re: best/worst job rejection letters?

Postby CG614 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Best:
Rejection letter from EIP last summer from Dewey. I kept it as a relic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11 pm

After accepting an offer I emailed the firms I had had screeners and CBs with to let them know I was no longer interested. All of those firms responded to my "rejection email" with form rejection letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Best is from Gibson Dunn, worst is from Bingham McCutchen so far.

Grades are well below median, no significant work experience, so pretty much out for both to begin with. Thought I'd be more of a crapshoot at Gibson, but got the Bingham rejection first before the OCI week was even over.

The Gibson letter at least tried to insert a line about my resume to show they paid attention. They basically said "We especially enjoyed talking about your experience at Y firm, and encourage you to apply again next fall when we interview 3L's"

My beef with the Bingham letter has more to do with how sacchrine they were with the compliments. They basically said "You have great/impressive credentials and we're sure you'll be a very successful lawyer." If they were so sure, they would have at least considered me longer than the 1-2 days it took >_>...

90%+ of law firm rejection letters will talk about how great your credentials are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Sent in application, received a ding email less than an hour later including a line about their "thorough" review of my application and putting it against others.

....yeah, I'm sure you looked at much beyond the GPA in less than an hour from submission.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:59 pm

For one of my CBs in NYC, I was still waiting a month later for their decision. I emailed my recruiter contact about how I had an offer with another firm (that I seriously disliked and wasn't planning on accepting at anyway). She immediately responded with a scanned copy of a rejection letter and said, "sorry. This was returned to us by mail a few weeks ago." It was dated the same day as my CB.

Interviewed with another firm. During the interview, one of the partners was telling me about a pro bono project he worked on for a PI organization. I received a rejection letter a few weeks later, and in the letter, it was recommended I apply for a "competitive" unpaid non-legal internship with the PI organization instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 pm

worst rejection ever: got past a screener and had a callback with a mid-sized firm in nyc. a week or so after the interview they put me on a "wait-list" and said they would let me know in a couple weeks. the weeks go by and one day i get a call from my career counselor asking for my lsat score because the firm asked for it. that afternoon i get a call from the recruitment coordinator rejecting me and telling me it's because the person who was their 1st choice accepted and that they otherwise would've picked me as their second choice. i was like "ok thanks" and tried to end the awkward call ASAP. like obviously y'all rejected me because of my LSAT, this call is awkward as fuck, so just say you selected someone else and leave it there. even though i am still an unemployed 3L i feel like i dodged a bullet with that firm....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Sent mass-mail at 1:59 pm. Received rejection at 3:38 pm.

"We appreciate your interest in our firm. Unfortunately, based on review of your application for a 2014 summer associate position, we are unable to invite you for an interview. However, I have no doubt that with your credentials you will find a summer associate position you find both challenging and rewarding."

That was some quick review. This is my quickest rejection by a wide margin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:55 pm

I was rejected by a firm 8 minutes after sending an e-mail. and the rejection mentioned a specific piece of my resume as a reason why I would be successful elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Rejection just now. They took the time to print and scan a rejection letter on very nice paper and send it to me via email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:17 pm

My worst rejection letter has only two words:

"No thanks!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My worst rejection letter has only two words:

"No thanks!"

LOL! That's cold. Assholes.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:57 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:30 pm

kalvano wrote:Getting a rejection letter in the mail was fun. Getting the same rejection letter sent certified mail, return receipt requested was even more fun.

Out the firm. That is incredibly rude.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My worst rejection letter has only two words:

"No thanks!"

Firm?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:32 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Personally, I'd like it if firms would be perfectly honest with us about why they are dinging us. It would be great if, at the end of a screener, the interviewer told me that I either had no shot before I even walked through the door for X reason or that I blew the interview because of X reason. Same applies to CBs, targeted mailings, etc. I don't need to hear why I'm sooooo qualified and they are unfortunately not able to offer me a position. Brutal honesty may hurt, but at least it can be helpful.

I agree, and ideally it would work this way. The problem is that while there are people who go into an interview and disqualify themselves, there are also just more perfectly good, qualified candidates than necessary. So sometimes there isn't anything helpful to say. It's not necessarily that you had no shot or that you blew the interview - you may have done really well. There just may have been enough people who were that tiny bit better that they didn't need to pick you. Also, people can get picked for reasons unrelated to their interview - for instance, that practice group X needs more people than practice group Y, and you expressed interest in practice group Y (which, admittedly, would be easy enough to explain in a letter), or that candidate A had reached out to a named partner and that partner went to bat for them, or candidate B is related to a major client and you're not, or Candidate C went to the same alma mater as the hiring partner and you didn't (I don't think a firm would want to put these last three in a letter). None of those things have anything to do with your ability and they wouldn't help you in trying to get something else.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:34 pm

manofjustice wrote:
kalvano wrote:Getting a rejection letter in the mail was fun. Getting the same rejection letter sent certified mail, return receipt requested was even more fun.

Why would outing the firm be relevant at all?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:36 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

Why would outing the firm be relevant at all?

Relevant to?

Relevant to helping TLS identify the really ass hole firms. Some firms really are nice; some really are jerks. I think we could do ourselves a favor sussing out which firms are full of jerkoffs and if the water-cooler talk at a firm is so degrading of summers and law students that even the recruitment coordinator is rude to us, then we know that that firm is full of jerkoffs.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:45 pm

hoos89 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Personally, I'd like it if firms would be perfectly honest with us about why they are dinging us. It would be great if, at the end of a screener, the interviewer told me that I either had no shot before I even walked through the door for X reason or that I blew the interview because of X reason. Same applies to CBs, targeted mailings, etc. I don't need to hear why I'm sooooo qualified and they are unfortunately not able to offer me a position. Brutal honesty may hurt, but at least it can be helpful.

I agree, and ideally it would work this way. The problem is that while there are people who go into an interview and disqualify themselves, there are also just more perfectly good, qualified candidates than necessary. So sometimes there isn't anything helpful to say. It's not necessarily that you had no shot or that you blew the interview - you may have done really well. There just may have been enough people who were that tiny bit better that they didn't need to pick you. Also, people can get picked for reasons unrelated to their interview - for instance, that practice group X needs more people than practice group Y, and you expressed interest in practice group Y (which, admittedly, would be easy enough to explain in a letter), or that candidate A had reached out to a named partner and that partner went to bat for them, or candidate B is related to a major client and you're not, or Candidate C went to the same alma mater as the hiring partner and you didn't (I don't think a firm would want to put these last three in a letter). None of those things have anything to do with your ability and they wouldn't help you in trying to get something else.

That would also be helpful to know, though. If you think that you're getting dinged for bad interviews or something, while in reality you were perfectly qualified then you might try to change something that is perfectly fine. That said, my feeling is that firms don't do this because 1. it takes time and effort, and 2. it is far less comfortable than just saying "you're great: it's not you it's me!"

Well, yeah, I just think it's hard/inappropriate for firms to provide some of the detail about hiring decisions that candidates want, especially because some of the reasons for choosing candidates may not be very good reasons. I think my overall point is that it makes sense to take the "you're totally qualified we just couldn't hire you" thing at face value unless/until you get other evidence that the problem is you (e.g. you can tell the interviews are going badly, you get negative feedback, you strike out completely).

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:29 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Best is from Gibson Dunn, worst is from Bingham McCutchen so far.

Grades are well below median, no significant work experience, so pretty much out for both to begin with. Thought I'd be more of a crapshoot at Gibson, but got the Bingham rejection first before the OCI week was even over.

The Gibson letter at least tried to insert a line about my resume to show they paid attention. They basically said "We especially enjoyed talking about your experience at Y firm, and encourage you to apply again next fall when we interview 3L's"

My beef with the Bingham letter has more to do with how sacchrine they were with the compliments. They basically said "You have great/impressive credentials and we're sure you'll be a very successful lawyer." If they were so sure, they would have at least considered me longer than the 1-2 days it took >_>...

A couple of years ago Bingham flew me across the country for a callback and then never even bothered to send me a rejection. That was special.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still didn't have a job lined up at the end of the year. My last final was Wednesday, I was going to leave my LS town on Saturday for my home market (it's a multi-day trip) and take my chances there.

On Friday, I was all packed up, with everything I owned either in storage or my car. For some reason, I decided to follow up with a partner at a firm in my LS town that I had contacted earlier but never heard back from. The partner said that he'd accidentally deleted my original email before he could print out my resume, so he didn't know how to get in touch with me. But he remembered my credentials and we set up an interview for that evening. During the interview, I explained that if I didn't get the job, I would be going back to my home market to look for work. They said this was fine, that they wanted to make a hire ASAP anyway, and that they should be able to let me know something by close of business Monday.

After the interview, I went out to dinner, and by the time I got home, the partner had emailed me, said they really liked me and had narrowed it down to me and one other person, and asked what my salary requirements were. I emailed him back with a number (and hinted that it was negotiable).

I then began obsessively and compulsively checked my email every few minutes for the rest of the night, and again on Saturday, then Sunday, then Monday. Monday evening passed and I hadn't heard anything. Tuesday morning I emailed the partner to check in and began to constantly re-check my email. In the afternoon, I called him. I called again on Wednesday. On Thursday, I sent another email and called twice. On Friday, I called like six times.

Since everything was either packed in my car or in storage, I was literally living out of boxes for the week. I slept on the floor, had no TV or internet, and ate fast food every meal. Finally, late Friday evening, about 8 o'clock, the guy called me back and said "I got your message. Sorry about that, I guess I forgot to let you know. We hired one of your classmates."

what a f&cking dick

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:17 am

I'm a USDC clerk who just wrapped up a job search in the spring -- secondary market where I didn't clerk but have strong ties.

My favorite was when I received a rejection letter from a firm I didn't apply to (or ever even contact). I had just accepted a job with the satellite office of a national firm, and I was worried that some rogue headhunter was sending around my resume without my knowledge/consent (and it might get back to my future employer), so I emailed the hiring partner at the rejecting firm to see how he got my stuff. Turns out it was the hiring partner at another firm in town who I DID send my resume too -- they didn't have room, but he thought the other firm might be interested. Gee, thanks for telling me.

Return to “Legal Employment”