best/worst job rejection letters? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: best/worst job rejection letters?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:39 am

3 of my 4 rejection letters included personal stuff, such as what I discussed during the interview, the strength of my résumé (not generic) etc.
Strook, on the other hand, did a BCC to a crapload of people all at once

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 am

theaccidentalclerk wrote:I'm a USDC clerk who just wrapped up a job search in the spring -- secondary market where I didn't clerk but have strong ties.

My favorite was when I received a rejection letter from a firm I didn't apply to (or ever even contact). I had just accepted a job with the satellite office of a national firm, and I was worried that some rogue headhunter was sending around my resume without my knowledge/consent (and it might get back to my future employer), so I emailed the hiring partner at the rejecting firm to see how he got my stuff. Turns out it was the hiring partner at another firm in town who I DID send my resume too -- they didn't have room, but he thought the other firm might be interested. Gee, thanks for telling me.
See, I think that actually is nice that he took the time to try to help you. Maybe the rejection letter was a bit odd, but I like that someone was willing to do that for you.

Not my worst, but I just got a second rejection letter from a firm (only applied/interviewed once). The two emails were about a week, week and a half apart and are word for word the same. Makes me believe the 'great credentials, sure you'll end up somewhere else great' all the more. :roll:

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:28 am

I have shared the story before, but it's fun every time. Applied to firm my (now) husband had an offer at last year. Letter rejected me while suggesting his offer was still open and he should contact them.

Another: after following up with me post-mass mail, let me know the reason I was being rejected was my grades. My massmail included my GPA on my résumé and transcript, so that wasn't coming out of left field for them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”