Will doing Moot Court rather than Law Review affect me?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anteater85

Will doing Moot Court rather than Law Review affect me?

Postby anteater85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Our school does a pure write on, which I elected not to try since I knew I wanted to do moot court. I am starting to second guess my decision. I knew that firms like to see law review experience, but I didn't realize how important it is to them. Almost all of the large firms coming to OCI say they "prefer" law review.

I will be on the Jessup team next year, which is a big time commitment so I'd have minimal time to dedicate to law review even if I had written on. Is doing minimal work on a law review still more prestigious in having a significant role in moot court? My GPA should be within the top 10% so I am less concerned about law review as a reflection of grades than I am about law review as the source for skills that firms want their attorneys to have.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this.

Aston2412

Re: Will doing Moot Court rather than Law Review affect me?

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't know to what extent law review actually helps you develop skill sets for life as an attorney. It's a scholarly publication and while the broader researching skills might be helpful, I don't think the specific skills translate well into the actual field of legal practice.

That said, yes - you probably should have done law review (the credited response is actually to have done both). It's too late for you to change your decision now, so don't worry about it. Especially as you're top 10% and have moot court.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:27 pm

You made a bad decision. Sorry.

Employers like law review because it designates that you were either among the highest GPAs or best writers at your law school. It's very selective; only 10% of students or so get law review. There's nothing else like it--anyone can do moot court (even if your particular moot court team is competitive to join, that doesn't matter). Your participation in moot court tells employers (and clients) nothing about how you fared against your peers in law school. So even though law review is mostly irrelevant to the practice of law (certainly more irrelevant than moot court), it's valued much more highly by employers.

Grades are the most important thing in law school, but law review is by far the next most important.

billbrasky

Postby billbrasky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:49 pm

As long as you have top grades, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Both are valuable, but law review sets the standard. My opinion is that employers assume that if one is not on law review that it is because they didn't make it---not because they could have been on law review & choose moot court instead. Deciding not to write-on to law review also may be seen as suggesting that one is willing to settle for second best. Although both activities require extensive research & writing skills, law review is viewed as having a higher standard. Although it doesn't seem fair & may not be accurate, it is reality.

anteater85

Postby anteater85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:30 pm

That is what I have been afraid would be the case. Law review at my school is fairly easy to join because of our small class size - almost the whole 2L class was involved last year, but I can't expect firms to know that. Since we don't have any secondary journals yet, should I explain my decision if asked about moot court or would that seem disingenuous and defensive?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:33 pm

it doesn't matter, the opportunity has already passed.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:36 pm

I would answer any questions re: your moot court participation in an honest & direct manner. Moot court can require a tremendous amount of time & dedication in addition to research, writing & litigating skills. Moot Court is a significant activity. Also, your small law school is a bit different in that law review membership is not restrictive regarding participation. Are you willing to name your law school in a PM ?

anteater85

Postby anteater85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I would answer any questions re: your moot court participation in an honest & direct manner. Moot court can require a tremendous amount of time & dedication in addition to research, writing & litigating skills. Moot Court is a significant activity. Also, your small law school is a bit different in that law review membership is not restrictive regarding participation. Are you willing to name your law school in a PM ?

I outed myself in an earlier thread in order to get the information I needed so what's one more time :). My school is UCI - the first class allowed any student to join law review since they needed the manpower. There was a write on for our class, a large number of people made it on (I have no idea if anyone did not make it, but don't want to assume they let everyone on).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:14 pm

The most important to realize is that in almost every attorneys mind, Law Review is an honors society and all other journals, moot court competitions, etc. are extracurriculars.

You can sit around and law student over whether or not that should be true, whether it's true at every school, or the extent to which that is universally understood, the amount of space between 'honors society' and 'extracurricular' until you wind up blue in the face. But the above sentence is really the alpha through the omega.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serenity

Postby Serenity » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Did you end up applying to transfer, if you did then you can still write-on for law review at most schools if you are accepted?

sharklasers

Postby sharklasers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 pm

moot court does shit all for your professional outlook; it's just a line that could be filled in by anything. where did the false rumor start that it's remotely comparable to law review??

anteater85

Postby anteater85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:27 pm

I didn't end up applying anywhere. My fiance works about 3 miles from the law school, I love the school, and I feel like I've built up a pretty good network in the area. I want to work in the immediate area for the long term so there was not much incentive leave.

anteater85

Postby anteater85 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Ya dude, you gotta see if you can do the write on now.

I might try to see if they need any more hands, but I feel like I would feel obligated to make a big time contribution if they even let me on. I just don't think it's doable considering the amount of time I'm planning to put into moot court. We only have 5 people doing Jessup and we're the inaugural team so we have nothing to build off of . . . I'm one of those nerds who says, "If I'm going to do it, I want to do it well."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 pm

not sure how it works at other schools, but joining moot court board at nyu is part of the writing competition...i ranked it in my choices, and ended up getting on. i'm leaning more towards the casebook division, though...not that it matters now, but i'm also curious--would a secondary journal have been better?

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:33 am

Just get good grades, bro.

Coif >>>>>> LR without Coif.

anteater85

Postby anteater85 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:59 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Just get good grades, bro.

Coif >>>>>> LR without Coif.

Will try on the grades, not so sure I'd have much luck being a bro.

And we don't have coif or even a real rank. I was just guessing/hoping where I land based on other school's cut offs.

Return to “Legal Employment”