Looking for a law-related job in New York City

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zulofft

Looking for a law-related job in New York City

Postby Zulofft » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Hey all.
I have recently graduated in May. While debating between a MPP and a JD, I have decided that I'd rather go through with the JD. I have a lot of prior experience (with NGOs and in government settings, mostly relating to human rights). Does anyone know where I could find paralegal or something law-related work in the NY area? I would like to work in a legal setting for a year or two before heading off to law school. Thank you.

jonas

Re: Looking for a law-related job in New York City

Postby jonas » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 am

Check law firms' websites for info on how to apply for paralegal positions. You can find the names of the biggest law firms here:

http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/ran ... gYear=2012

Depending on your interests, you might also check with legal aid organizations like Bronx Defenders and Brooklyn Defender Services, government organizations like the Manhattan DA's office, and nonprofits like the ACLU, NAACP Legal Defense Fund, Human Rights Watch, Human Rights First, etc.

Zulofft

Postby Zulofft » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:32 am

jonas wrote:Check law firms' websites for info on how to apply for paralegal positions. You can find the names of the biggest law firms here:

http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/ran ... gYear=2012

Depending on your interests, you might also check with legal aid organizations like Bronx Defenders and Brooklyn Defender Services, government organizations like the Manhattan DA's office, and nonprofits like the ACLU, NAACP Legal Defense Fund, Human Rights Watch, Human Rights First, etc.

Thank you - that's very helpful!

Zulofft

Postby Zulofft » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Just bumping this, any other advice? Is Craigslist legit? Thanks!

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Look for legal staffing agencies. You don't have to pay them - the company that hires you does. There are a few shops that only use agencies and the agency will help you with your resume and shit like that.

Return to “Legal Employment”