3L Employment Opportunity - Applications Accepted Now Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

VinceIrons

New

Re: 3L Employment Opportunity - Applications Accepted Now

Post by VinceIrons » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:44 am

A'nold wrote:Nashville is like my wife's favorite city. I've never been but it sounds pretty nice.
I went to Vandy UG. Nashville is absolutely fantastic :D

This programs sounds pretty awesome, I'll definitely keep an eye out for it next year!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:25 pm

I applied to Waller Lansden last year and was really excited to hear about this program this year.
Sent my app in last week and am keeping my fingers crossed, it sounds like a fabulous opportunity.

It seems like a really well thought out and intelligent way to deal with the changing legal market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 pm

FYI,

NALP requires firms to hold open permanent job offers until November 1 for summer associates, so if you got accepted to this program, you would be able to choose between the offers, based on LFR's purported timing that job offers are on October 15.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:53 pm

How would a grade drop be viewed by the firm? In my case, I worked what was supposed to be part time (20 hrs/week) throughout the school year last year, but it was not an organized program like this, and so they ended up taking over my life (calling/emailing at all hours, weekend work, working right up to exams)---negatively impacting grades? Not horrible, but certainly not up to what I would like. In the end I got chance of a lifetime work experience, but mediocre grades. First year I had excellent grades so I know I can do better.

Would someone like that have any chance?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would a grade drop be viewed by the firm? In my case, I worked what was supposed to be part time (20 hrs/week) throughout the school year last year, but it was not an organized program like this, and so they ended up taking over my life (calling/emailing at all hours, weekend work, working right up to exams)---negatively impacting grades? Not horrible, but certainly not up to what I would like. In the end I got chance of a lifetime work experience, but mediocre grades. First year I had excellent grades so I know I can do better.

You should have spoken up for yourself or called it quits if the grades were important to you and you think working caused a drop.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:17 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How would a grade drop be viewed by the firm? In my case, I worked what was supposed to be part time (20 hrs/week) throughout the school year last year, but it was not an organized program like this, and so they ended up taking over my life (calling/emailing at all hours, weekend work, working right up to exams)---negatively impacting grades? Not horrible, but certainly not up to what I would like. In the end I got chance of a lifetime work experience, but mediocre grades. First year I had excellent grades so I know I can do better.

You should have spoken up for yourself or called it quits if the grades were important to you and you think working caused a drop.
Then I would have been irresponsible for leaving them hanging with my work still not completed...no way. Plus, it was a really exciting case to be involved with and definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience a case headed for trial as a student.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

Then I would have been irresponsible for leaving them hanging with my work still not completed...no way. Plus, it was a really exciting case to be involved with and definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience a case headed for trial as a student.
Dude, at the end of the day they didn't give you a job and now you want to go that route again? Working at a law firm is demanding. Of course you can't cut out early. It doesn't sound like you can handle work and school at the same time. Why would you be interested in a program that combines these aspects yet again?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

Dude, at the end of the day they didn't give you a job and now you want to go that route again? Working at a law firm is demanding. Of course you can't cut out early. It doesn't sound like you can handle work and school at the same time. Why would you be interested in a program that combines these aspects yet again?

Because this program is organized. The place I worked during the school year does not recruit law students straight out of law school. They are pretty hard core, and I knew going in there was no chance of a job. That wasn't what it was about. I worked on a case during the summer for them, and had the opportunity to stay and keep up the work. I found it really exciting and a great opportunity, especially to work for such a prestigious firm.

Because they do not normally allow people to do what I did, there were no real limits on what I was asked to do, they knew I could only work 20 hours a week, but that didn't stop them from asking me to do work at unscheduled times and from overwhelming me. I know better than anyone else that law firms are demanding, I am no naive fool. I had more than two years of work experience before starting law school. I also know that I am capable of doing the work and find it exciting.

This opportunity appears to be completely different, well planned and scheduled and only about 10-15hrs of work per week. I wouldn't expect that a program like this would involve unexpected late night phone requests, or emails that force me to leave class and run home. However, if it were to involve those things, I would certainly be adequately experienced and better able to handle my schedule, than I was last year.

I don't think that you should be so judgmental about something you don't understand completely. In fact, I have been told by several people inside law firms that if they were judging it they might consider the work experience and dedication that I showed to be a better sign than if I had just quit when it got hard. Additionally, I never said that I was an applicant to the program, I was merely trying to ask lawfirmrecruiter his/her opinion on that situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Without seeing your credentials, this is hard to answer. All applications are being reviewed and many different factors other than GPA are being taken into consideration.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FYI,

NALP requires firms to hold open permanent job offers until November 1 for summer associates, so if you got accepted to this program, you would be able to choose between the offers, based on LFR's purported timing that job offers are on October 15.
This is correct. All offers for our Schola2Juris program will be made on October 14th. You would have plenty of time to consider our offer even if you are currently summering at another firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:58 pm

lawfirmrecruiter wrote:

Without seeing your credentials, this is hard to answer. All applications are being reviewed and many different factors other than GPA are being taken into consideration.

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to answer this for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Did anyone who applied hear anything yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump
Sorry to hear that. I'm anticipating the same result. Snail mail or email?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone who applied hear anything yet?
Applications closed this morning. We are going through all of the candidates now and hope to contact callbacks by the end of the week. Thank you all for your interest and patience. We have a lot of very qualified candidates that we want to thoroughly review.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
"Bump" is what you say when you're bringing a thread back to life or just trying to put it in a position where more people will notice it. You're thinking of "ding," friend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:49 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
"Bump" is what you say when you're bringing a thread back to life or just trying to put it in a position where more people will notice it. You're thinking of "ding," friend.
No one has been dinged or bumped! We wanted to wait for all applications to come in before making decisions so everyone has an equal opportunity to be reviewed.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Umm... if the program starts Sept. 2nd and you are an out-of-town law student, how can you do the program and go to classes? Am I missing something?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:Umm... if the program starts Sept. 2nd and you are an out-of-town law student, how can you do the program and go to classes? Am I missing something?
Yes you are...I'll let you try to educate yourself.

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:Umm... if the program starts Sept. 2nd and you are an out-of-town law student, how can you do the program and go to classes? Am I missing something?
It is conducted on a virtual platform through video conferencing and online document collaboration.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:40 am

how many callbacks do you anticipate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how many callbacks do you anticipate?
Also, now that the application window is closed, can you reveal how many spots each practice group is trying to fill?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

If a person gets a callback for S2J, is it safe to assume their grades are within your acceptable range? In other words, is the interview just for personality, fit with the firm, etc.?

lawfirmrecruiter

Silver

Post by lawfirmrecruiter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how many callbacks do you anticipate?
Also, now that the application window is closed, can you reveal how many spots each practice group is trying to fill?
We are still working on final numbers for each group.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”