3L Employment Opportunity - Applications Accepted Now

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfirmrecruiter

3L Employment Opportunity - Applications Accepted Now

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis in Nashville, Tenn., has launched a new apprentice program developed specifically for 3L students. Schola2Juris is a practice-specific fall apprenticeship that provides a unique opportunity to gain practical training while earning a $10,000 scholarship. Apprentices that successfully complete the program will also be eligible for full-time employment after graduation. Because the program is mainly conducted online, students from any school and any location can apply and participate.

During this 6-week program that begins on September 2nd, our apprentices will work closely with an associate and partner mentor in the assigned practice area. You will work on a training module that is specifically designed to take you through the life cycle of a client matter. Each group’s hypothetical contains different components specific to that particular area of law and provide a unique look into real client work. (example - our corporate apprentice will follow the formation, acquisition and dissolution of a corporation.) The majority of your training will take place online via our virtual conference center and you will be given a laptop with the appropriate software and video equipment necessary to participate. We do not expect work to exceed 15 hours each week. The program will conclude on October 14th, which will also be Job Offer Day.

All of our firm's practice groups are accepting applications for Schola2Juris now through July 31st. For more information about the program and to apply, please follow this link: --LinkRemoved--

thesealocust

Re: 3L Employment Opportunity - Applications Accepted Now

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Not sure if spam.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:24 pm

thesealocust wrote:Not sure if spam.

Not spam. This posting was approved by The Moderators.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 pm

He/She is legit and has been answering questions for about a month in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=158035.
Last edited by shoeshine on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:32 pm

shoeshine wrote:

He/She is legit and has been answering question for about a month in this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=158035.

I'd venture Sealocust is aware of that.

Spelling edit.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:34 pm

It's legit. Lfr's been a helpful resource, and Waller's one of the best firms in the city.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 pm

LFR: I have spent some time lurking in your Q&A thread and wanted to say:

1. It's fascinating to finally see what firm you represent.
2. This sounds like a well thought-out and ambitious program that I hope is successful for you all... I would definitely be interested if I were looking in the South and/or not currently a rising 2L.
3. Lest you be accused of shilling for your firm here, thanks for providing so much genuinely useful information and really improving the noise-to-signal ratio on this board the last several weeks.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:37 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:LFR: I have spent some time lurking in your Q&A thread and wanted to say:

2. This sounds like a well thought-out and ambitious program that I hope is successful for you all... I would definitely be interested if I were looking in the South and/or not currently a rising 2L.
3. Lest you be accused of shilling for your firm here, thanks for providing so much genuinely useful information and really improving the noise-to-signal ratio on this board the last several weeks.

I pretty much agree with all of this. It's just jarring to see an employment advertisement in this forum. I understand that OP has contributed a lot to the forum (I've stayed out of that thread as it was pretty clear early on the perspective was coming from a different kind of firm than we usually drone on about here).

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:43 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:LFR: I have spent some time lurking in your Q&A thread and wanted to say:

Thank you for that. We have indeed put a lot of thought into how to change the crazy system that is OCI/student recruiting and sought to better align client demand with student hiring. We view 3L apprentice training and hiring as the way to do that. As with anything new, we welcome your inputs and thoughts.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:28 am

Are any other 3L's having a hard time wrapping their heads around this? I know it is legit, but I can't help but keep thinking that this is really like desertfox or someone sitting there ready to post our resumes and cover letters in the lounge in an epic prank.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:47 am

A'nold wrote:Are any other 3L's having a hard time wrapping their heads around this? I know it is legit, but I can't help but keep thinking that this is really like desertfox or someone sitting there ready to post our resumes and cover letters in the lounge in an epic prank.

I think the reason you feel that way is because you first heard of the program here on TLS. Waller has been talking about this since I think April or May. I got an email from my CSO about it way back then.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:05 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
A'nold wrote:Are any other 3L's having a hard time wrapping their heads around this? I know it is legit, but I can't help but keep thinking that this is really like desertfox or someone sitting there ready to post our resumes and cover letters in the lounge in an epic prank.

I think the reason you feel that way is because you first heard of the program here on TLS. Waller has been talking about this since I think April or May. I got an email from my CSO about it way back then.

Yeah, you are absolutely correct about that. That's good info for the 3L's on here (although I doubt there are many jobless 3L's with the credentials this firm is looking for).

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:24 am

A'nold wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Yeah, you are absolutely correct about that. That's good info for the 3L's on here (although I doubt there are many jobless 3L's with the credentials this firm is looking for).

:(

Sad face

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:43 am

A'nold wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

I asked about that in the other thread. Seems to me their pool at the moment will consist of pretty much every law student with the good sense to at least apply, even those who are current SA's. In the end though, IMO, you inevitably end up selecting from a group of students who a) struck out at oci and did nothing this summer b) did something they didn't want to do this summer c) got no offered this summer. I just don't see any scenario where a student with an offer in hand turns it down to work for however many weeks for the chance to maybe get an offer at the end of it.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 am

Aqualibrium wrote: In the end though, IMO, you inevitably end up selecting from a group of students who a) struck out at oci and did nothing this summer b) did something they didn't want to do this summer c) got no offered this summer. I just don't see any scenario where a student with an offer in hand turns it down to work for however many weeks for the chance to maybe get an offer at the end of it.

The numbers are on their side so, probably only 5,000 law students (give or take) will complete summer associate positions and get offers. That leaves around 40,000 to choose from. I don't know about you, but I'd feel pretty good about those odds if I were an employer.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote: In the end though, IMO, you inevitably end up selecting from a group of students who a) struck out at oci and did nothing this summer b) did something they didn't want to do this summer c) got no offered this summer. I just don't see any scenario where a student with an offer in hand turns it down to work for however many weeks for the chance to maybe get an offer at the end of it.

The numbers are on their side so, probably only 5,000 law students (give or take) will complete summer associate positions and get offers. That leaves around 40,000 to choose from. I don't know about you, but I'd feel pretty good about those odds if I were an employer.

Is this a typical "biglaw" firm or something else.....?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Most people on TLS would call them mid-law, mainly because this site is NY, DC, CHI, Cali centric (for good reason...they are the major markets after all). In the south, they'd be considered "big law" though. Nearly 200 attorneys and competitive salaries for the region.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Most people on TLS would call them mid-law, mainly because this site is NY, DC, CHI, Cali centric (for good reason...they are the major markets after all). In the south, they'd be considered "big law" though. Nearly 200 attorneys and competitive salaries for the region.

Are you going to apply? Who else on here is applying?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 pm

If interviews are in early August, when do you notify applicants that they've been selected for an interview?

Also, are the interviews in Nashville or over phone/video?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If interviews are in early August, when do you notify applicants that they've been selected for an interview?

Also, are the interviews in Nashville or over phone/video?

It is a very compressed timeline. We will be notifying students about callbacks the first week of August. Interviews will be held in our office in Nashville the week of August 8th. We will cover the cost of the trip and candidates will have 1/2 day interviews with members of the practice group they are assigned. Final selections will be announced the next week, August 15th.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:19 pm

A'nold wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Most people on TLS would call them mid-law, mainly because this site is NY, DC, CHI, Cali centric (for good reason...they are the major markets after all). In the south, they'd be considered "big law" though. Nearly 200 attorneys and competitive salaries for the region.

No. I'm not interested in working in Nashville. Birmingham maybe, but there is really only one firm in Birmingham that I'd want to work at. I'd actually be really interested to see what attorney attrition rates look like 3-5 years down the road in a program like this. I get that the statistics are already pretty horrible in that regard, but here you have a firm conducting a national recruitment campaign and presumably roping in a whole range of students who have never been to/never imagined going to/never contemplated living in Nashville. I'm sure some will fall in love, but there will certainly be others who are just taking what's available then biding their time until they can get to where they really want to be (though I suppose that's always a risk/consideration in recruiting, the regional scale of this recruiting effort seems to magnify that risk).

edit: Don't want to seem like I'm down on this program at all. I think it's very innovative, and I commend Waller Lansden on shaking up the traditional recruiting model. It's unlikely that they'll publish hard statistics about the program's performance 3-5 years down the line, but I would be really intrigued to see that. Hope it goes well.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Nashville is like my wife's favorite city. I've never been but it sounds pretty nice.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
A'nold wrote:

No. I'm not interested in working in Nashville. Birmingham maybe, but there is really only one firm in Birmingham that I'd want to work at. I'd actually be really interested to see what attorney attrition rates look like 3-5 years down the road in a program like this. I get that the statistics are already pretty horrible in that regard, but here you have a firm conducting a national recruitment campaign and presumably roping in a whole range of students who have never been to/never imagined going to/never contemplated living in Nashville. I'm sure some will fall in love, but there will certainly be others who are just taking what's available then biding their time until they can get to where they really want to be (though I suppose that's always a risk/consideration in recruiting, the regional scale of this recruiting effort seems to magnify that risk).

edit: Don't want to seem like I'm down on this program at all. I think it's very innovative, and I commend Waller Lansden on shaking up the traditional recruiting model. It's unlikely that they'll publish hard statistics about the program's performance 3-5 years down the line, but I would be really intrigued to see that. Hope it goes well.
I think you're assuming that they're automatically going to take the 'top' applicants they get, though. That isn't the sense I've gotten from Lfr's posts - they want qualified candidates, to be sure, but Lfr's talked about fit and filling specific needs IIRC, not just throwing bodies from CLS at the work they have coming in. I doubt that changing from a summer program to this system means that they've forgotten that some applicants are just applying because it's there and they're looking for a lifeboat. I mean, they could probably fill their class with solid applicants from Vandy alone every year if they chose - there'll be southerners and SEC refugees at Duke/UVA/Emory and other schools that have plenty of interest in the region. It shouldn't be any different from trying to pick out the people with ties for a normal summer program. Publicizing it will draw many more applicants because of the timing of the program, but that doesn't mean they have to take the kid in the top 10% at Berkeley who was born in Seattle and has never set foot east of the Rockies.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Aqua, you make great points, all of which we considered when developing Schola2Juris. It is our thought that attrition will actually go down because we are aligning our hiring with client need and candidate practice choice. By moving the timeline a full year later, students have more control over their careers and we can fill needs we know our clients have.

We will be closely monitoring the progress of the program as we, too, are interested in the outcomes 3, 5, 10 years from now. If anything, we are now free to recruit the best way for our firm, not the exact same way every other firm recruits.

As for people that may come here and then leave, well, it is part of our job to make sure our associates are happy enough to stay long term!

Thanks for your comments. I welcome any and all suggestions and thoughts!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 pm

I think this would be good for picking up good people that fell through the cracks around the country. I probably wouldn't think of Nashville on a 3L job search but if there was an opportunity like this I would jump on it and I'm sure lots of others would too.

Return to “Legal Employment”