Moot Court and Transactional Work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moot Court and Transactional Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 pm

So, I'm at NYU and I'm interested in doing transactional work. Our writing competition includes moot court, which I ranked I think 4th (not certain, but somewhere like that) because working on the moot court casebook seemed vaguely interesting, and few of the specialty journals are in my preferred areas.

Somehow, I ended up on moot court rather than any journal. The whole thing seems seems very odd, as my grades are very good, above top 10%--didn't expect LR, but did expect one of the other two journals I ranked above moot court. I have no ability to do any journal as a result.

Should I do moot court, or go without any "major" activity? I don't have a term-time internship or clinic, either, although I am planning to do my substantial writing credit in the fall. In interviews, how can I explain being interested in transactional work while at the same time being on the moot court board? Any and all advice appreciated.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Re: Moot Court and Transactional Work

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Tons of people do moot court, clerk, journals (which are totally not about transactional law), etc. and go transactional. Amongst transactional attorneys, it's quaint and amusing that nothing in law school, especially not in the first year, is relevant to a transactional practice. Even a class like corporations is 95% about the crap litigators quabble over, and if you pick up any tidbits of transactional information it's likely going to be incidental.

So, when making your decision, don't worry about the impact it will have vel non on your chances of doing deals when you grow up.

p.s. I apologize for writing vel non.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 pm

I think you can have moot court will still saying you're interested in transactional work.

That said, in my opinion, anything outside of law review doesn't give a large enough bump to make the personal sacrifice in work worth it, at least if you're interested in just getting a big firm job. This is assuming your grades are decent.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Jynx!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 pm

thesealocust wrote:Tons of people do moot court, clerk, journals (which are totally not about transactional law), etc. and go transactional. Amongst transactional attorneys, it's quaint and amusing that nothing in law school, especially not in the first year, is relevant to a transactional practice. Even a class like corporations is 95% about the crap litigators quabble over, and if you pick up any tidbits of transactional information it's likely going to be incidental.

So, when making your decision, don't worry about the impact it will have vel non on your chances of doing deals when you grow up.

Eh, I understand all of that. I just feel as if doing moot court sends off a strong "litigation" vibe that would make my response to the question "Litigation or transactions?" sound strange. Not in the sense that a journal would prepare me for transactional work. I am well aware that it would not. But, rather, in the sense that being on moot court is the automatic tag of a litigator.

If this just isn't true, then I won't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:I think you can have moot court will still saying you're interested in transactional work.

That said, in my opinion, anything outside of law review doesn't give a large enough bump to make the personal sacrifice in work worth it, at least if you're interested in just getting a big firm job. This is assuming your grades are decent.

How would I then go about answering the question of why I am not on a journal/moot court?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Tons of people do moot court, clerk, journals (which are totally not about transactional law), etc. and go transactional. Amongst transactional attorneys, it's quaint and amusing that nothing in law school, especially not in the first year, is relevant to a transactional practice. Even a class like corporations is 95% about the crap litigators quabble over, and if you pick up any tidbits of transactional information it's likely going to be incidental.

Eh, I understand all of that. I just feel as if doing moot court sends off a strong "litigation" vibe that would make my response to the question "Litigation or transactions?" sound strange. Not in the sense that a journal would prepare me for transactional work. I am well aware that it would not. But, rather, in the sense that being on moot court is the automatic tag of a litigator.

If this just isn't true, then I won't worry about it.

It just isn't true, so don't worry about it :)

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:I think you can have moot court will still saying you're interested in transactional work.

How would I then go about answering the question of why I am not on a journal/moot court?

Just say you're interested in trying out some more litigation-oriented stuff (which is good, because it shows that you're flexible), but that your primary interest is transactional.

Return to “Legal Employment”