How hard is it to get hired as a states attorney in Illinois

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How hard is it to get hired as a states attorney in Illinois

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Anyone have a sense what kind of grads get these jobs? Which schools? What kind of grades?

Anonymous User

Re: How hard is it to get hired as a states attorney in Illinois

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:38 pm

My good friend got an interview there through Chicago minority job fair (CCBA). Shes top 20% at a school in the t20-t30.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm

I can't speak much for other counties, but Cook County is extremely competitive. I think this year they hired about 20-25 applicants out of about 800-900. They also have kind of a weird waiting list system that they hire people from.

My sense is that grades and school rank are not all that important. What is VERY important, however, is clerking for the office during law school. It's almost a necessity, and possibly the biggest overall factor in hiring decisions.

Just to put the counties in perspective, Cook has about 900 ASAs. The next largest county, DuPage, has about 75. So there's probably going to be quite a bit of difference between Cook and the other counties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:31 am

Yeah I was thinking Cook. So a Northwestern or a U of Chicago grad wouldn't be a lock by any means? If that was what I wanted Id have to be sure to do all of my internships there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm

An NU/Chi grad might get the edge all other things being equal. But there are a TON of ASAs who went to DePaul/Kent/Loyola/John Marshall.

You don't necessarily have to do ALL your internships there. I would at least try and spend some time there as a 711 so you can do trials and show them what kind of trial attorney you would be. If you do your 711 there and can get some great references out of that you would be off to a pretty good start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can't speak much for other counties, but Cook County is extremely competitive. I think this year they hired about 20-25 applicants out of about 800-900. They also have kind of a weird waiting list system that they hire people from.

My sense is that grades and school rank are not all that important. What is VERY important, however, is clerking for the office during law school. It's almost a necessity, and possibly the biggest overall factor in hiring decisions.

Just to put the counties in perspective, Cook has about 900 ASAs. The next largest county, DuPage, has about 75. So there's probably going to be quite a bit of difference between Cook and the other counties.

Anonymous User wrote:An NU/Chi grad might get the edge all other things being equal. But there are a TON of ASAs who went to DePaul/Kent/Loyola/John Marshall.

You don't necessarily have to do ALL your internships there. I would at least try and spend some time there as a 711 so you can do trials and show them what kind of trial attorney you would be. If you do your 711 there and can get some great references out of that you would be off to a pretty good start.

Absolutely dead on. I worked here before law school, but talked to a lot of the law students and the ASA that I worked for explained the hiring to me. You basically have to do at least 1 summer in the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for all of the information. I heard the reason there are so many grads from some of the other law schools who work as ASAs is becuase the northwestern and chicago people get jobs at big law firms, and becuase they have so much in student debt that they cant work for 50k.

SouthernMiss

Postby SouthernMiss » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 pm

Can anyone here answer questions about interning with CCSAO over the summer? If so: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=225245&p=7518939#p7518939

Return to “Legal Employment”