Top 10 at Tier 2 School - Where should I apply?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 10 at Tier 2 School - Where should I apply?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm in the top 3% at a school ranked in the 80's, but have no specific ambitions. I just want a job in New York, and the higher the pay, the better. I applied for every New York opening for firms participating in my school's OCI, but am wondering where I should apply beyond that.

My school seems to recommend everyone apply to all of the top firms. This is way too general to actually be helpful - does anyone have any specifics that they recommend?

Thanks for any help!

thesealocust

Re: Top 10 at Tier 2 School - Where should I apply?

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Apply to all the top firms, some arguably top firms, and some firms that are definitely not top firms.

Seriously, with those grades you COULD get a job basically anywhere, though obviously it's more and less likely at various places. It's really worth your time to mass mail the fuck out of places. If you told me you just spent $100 on supplies to mail every Vault ranked firm in NYC, I would find that a sane life choice. If you told me you emailed them carefully prepared PDFs with your resume, transcript, and cover letter, I'd think you were a genius.

Don't stop there - T2 school introduces a lot of chaos into the process, and you should look for other firms via the NALP directory and martindale and such like - but definitely don't limit yourself.

REACH FOR THE STARS etc.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 pm

I would transfer to Cornell/Columbia/NYU/Michigan/Penn/Duke/UVA in your situation. All will likely give you a better chance at large firms than what you have now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I would transfer to Cornell/Columbia/NYU/Michigan/Penn/Duke/UVA in your situation. All will likely give you a better chance at large firms than what you have now.

OP here.

I have a full scholarship, and don't want to give that up to pay full tuition at a better school. If I can't get a job at a top firm, that's okay - I'll still have no debt. I just want the best job I can actually get in my current position.

It looks like I'll just have to mass-mail NY firms and see what happens from there. Thanks for the advice, thesealocust!

Return to “Legal Employment”