realisitic transfer expectations

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm

I was wondering how far down the V100 should transfer students shoot for when moving into T14. This could be relevant for all transfers, but my specific situation is top 6% at previous school in T40-50 range likely moving to one of the bottom T14 schools. Obviously shooting for Cravath or Skadden seems unlikely, but what about firms below the V50 range?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Talk to your new career services peeps. I'm going to a T14 from a T25 and they said I'd be in the game for every firm except the Williams & Connolly's of the world. I was top 6%, LR, serious work experience pre-LS, relevant master's degree.

My guess is that if you interview well, you will be in better shape than you think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Talk to your new career services peeps. I'm going to a T14 from a T25 and they said I'd be in the game for every firm except the Williams & Connolly's of the world. I was top 6%, LR, serious work experience pre-LS, relevant master's degree.

My guess is that if you interview well, you will be in better shape than you think.


Sounds like good advice. Career services was kind of funny because they gave me mixed advice:
1. You should definitely bid conservatively.
2. Transfers tend to do as well, if not better than our typical students.

So I guess that equates to "winging it."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Talk to your new career services peeps. I'm going to a T14 from a T25 and they said I'd be in the game for every firm except the Williams & Connolly's of the world. I was top 6%, LR, serious work experience pre-LS, relevant master's degree.

My guess is that if you interview well, you will be in better shape than you think.


Sounds like good advice. Career services was kind of funny because they gave me mixed advice:
1. You should definitely bid conservatively.
2. Transfers tend to do as well, if not better than our typical students.

So I guess that equates to "winging it."

I have not formally committed to my (T10) transfer school, but I spoke with the CSO and they gave me similarly vague/obvious advice.

I'll bust a testicle if I leave top 15% at a T25 and end up getting shut out at OCIs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:13 pm

I personally know 3 T2-->lower-T14 transfers who got jobs at DPW, S&C, and Jones Day.

I'm not saying you have a good chance, but it is possible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I personally know 3 T2-->lower-T14 transfers who got jobs at DPW, S&C, and Jones Day.

I'm not saying you have a good chance, but it is possible.


OP here,

That is comforting...but I would hate to leave a good thing for a possibility. Surely, people in the bottom T1 can do alright at OCI if they rank well...right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:31 pm

New poster here. Are there any threads or resources that expand on transfer OCI prospects a bit more in depth?

Recently accepted from T25 to H and am unsure where I stand, or frankly where to start. Thanks in advance for any insight.

phoenixsoars
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby phoenixsoars » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 am

.
Last edited by phoenixsoars on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I personally know 3 T2-->lower-T14 transfers who got jobs at DPW, S&C, and Jones Day.

I'm not saying you have a good chance, but it is possible.


Please don't get my hopes up :lol:.

BTW, the advice I got from one CS office: they look at transfers the same way they'd look at your if you were applying as a student at your old school. If the firm is familiar with your school and hires from people in your grade range, you have a much better shot than if the firm has no clue about your school or never heard of it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:11 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I personally know 3 T2-->lower-T14 transfers who got jobs at DPW, S&C, and Jones Day.

I'm not saying you have a good chance, but it is possible.


Please don't get my hopes up :lol:.

BTW, the advice I got from one CS office: they look at transfers the same way they'd look at your if you were applying as a student at your old school. If the firm is familiar with your school and hires from people in your grade range, you have a much better shot than if the firm has no clue about your school or never heard of it.


OP again.

So than when a transfer school OCI firm says top 10% required, can you even fall into that category as a transfer? Or are those wasted bids?

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby missinglink » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I personally know 3 T2-->lower-T14 transfers who got jobs at DPW, S&C, and Jones Day.

I'm not saying you have a good chance, but it is possible.


Please don't get my hopes up :lol:.

BTW, the advice I got from one CS office: they look at transfers the same way they'd look at your if you were applying as a student at your old school. If the firm is familiar with your school and hires from people in your grade range, you have a much better shot than if the firm has no clue about your school or never heard of it.


OP again.

So than when a transfer school OCI firm says top 10% required, can you even fall into that category as a transfer? Or are those wasted bids?

I'm interested in this as well.

For the time being, I'm going to compare the GPA / rank cutoffs at my old school and use those to prioritize bids at my new school. So for instance, if it's top 5% at my old school, that will be a reach. But if it's top 10%, then I'll bid at my new school.


To me, that seems like the logical thing to do, until I hear otherwise.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:59 pm

i dont think they are wasted bids. if it asks for top 10% and you were top 10% at your old school and you own the shit out of that interview, then i don't think it matters. I really believe that 90% of the game for transfers comes down to how you interview. If they like you, they are not going to give a shit that you transferred from a school they don't interview at especially because for the rest of your career it's going to say "T14" on your firm bio. They will see you did well at your old school and that will be all the cover they need to give you the job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273405
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: realisitic transfer expectations

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Just talked to my CDO today about this. They weren't incredibly explicit, but what it came down to was there will be firms wary of transfers because they're not sure how your old GPA/Rank stacks with your new school, others will just be impressed you were able to transfer and took the initiative to do so. Of course, there's no way of telling which firms are which, so, yeah. Not entirely sure how to take that other than it's kinda a crapshoot for transfers. I figure if you're bidding on a firm that interviews at both your new and old school, looking at what they want from the old school's students should give you an idea. But, if you're like me and there's almost zero overlap, not quite sure what to do there.

My CDO said for the lottery bit, your top ten choices are really the only ones that matter (we do 70/30). So I think my strategy will be a couple of "reach" firms, firms I really want interviews with and don't want to risk not getting pre-selected, and then all the rest. Hope for the best, and then start on mass and targeted mailings!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.