Media/First Amendment law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Media/First Amendment law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Where should I be applying if I want to do this in New York or DC? I know it's a tough practice area to crack, but assume I have the grades and credentials to have a shot.

Bronte

Gold

Re: Media/First Amendment law

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:05 pm

These are two pretty disparate practice areas, and extremely niche/rare. Anything involving con law is mostly going to go on in DC as far as I know, which is the hotbed of appellate practice. Media law on the other hand is just... I don't know. If you have the grades, I would recommend broadening your expressed preference to appellate litigation generally and applying to NY and DC firms that have strong practices in those areas.

citydweller09

Bronze

Post by citydweller09 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Bronte wrote:These are two pretty disparate practice areas, and extremely niche/rare. Anything involving con law is mostly going to go on in DC as far as I know, which is the hotbed of appellate practice. Media law on the other hand is just... I don't know. If you have the grades, I would recommend broadening your expressed preference to appellate litigation generally and applying to NY and DC firms that have strong practices in those areas.
They aren't disparate at all, they're pretty commonly understood to go hand in hand. The primary places for this would be NYC and LA, i.e. the major media capitals of the U.S. The firms that come to mind off the top of my head in NYC are Davis Wright Tremaine, Gibson Dunn, Patterson Belknap, Cahill Gordon, and maybe Boise Schiller. To find others, check the Chambers & Partners list of the top media & entertainment litigators in New York, and apply to whatever firms they're at. Good luck!

ETA: In DC you'll want to apply to Levine Sullivan Koch & Schulz.
Last edited by citydweller09 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 pm

citydweller09 wrote:
Bronte wrote:These are two pretty disparate practice areas, and extremely niche/rare. Anything involving con law is mostly going to go on in DC as far as I know, which is the hotbed of appellate practice. Media law on the other hand is just... I don't know. If you have the grades, I would recommend broadening your expressed preference to appellate litigation generally and applying to NY and DC firms that have strong practices in those areas.
They aren't disparate at all, they're pretty commonly understood to go hand in hand. The primary places for this would be NYC and LA, i.e. the major media capitals of the U.S. The firms that come to mind off the top of my head in NYC are Davis Wright Tremaine, Gibson Dunn, Patterson Belknap, Cahill Gordon, and maybe Boise Schiller. To find others, check the Chambers & Partners list of the top media & entertainment litigators in New York, and apply to whatever firms they're at. Good luck!
Yeah I'll concede to being wrong there. I see how they would obviously go hand in hand. Still think you should broaden your focus, but if you have the credentials go for it.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

citydweller09 wrote: The firms that come to mind off the top of my head in NYC are Davis Wright Tremaine, Gibson Dunn, Patterson Belknap, Cahill Gordon, and maybe Boise Schiller.
This is pretty accurate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Jack & Balkin LLP

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 am

citydweller09 wrote:

Jenner & Block, too.

http://www.jenner.com/practice/practice ... .asp?ID=47

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:48 am

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:Jack & Balkin LLP
Hahahah -- much as I love JB I doubt he's hiring. Thanks for the advice, TLS. This confirms much of what I've heard elsewhere (including on the Chambers website).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:03 pm

citydweller09 wrote:

FYI Levine Sullivan is also in New York.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 pm

citydweller09 wrote:

Yeah, Cahill has Floyd Abrams, who seems to be involved in like every blockbuster 1st Amendment case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:49 am

FYI Davis Wright Tremaine and Levine Sullivan only hire laterals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FYI Davis Wright Tremaine and Levine Sullivan only hire laterals.
Actually not true for either -- they hire summer associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FYI Davis Wright Tremaine and Levine Sullivan only hire laterals.
Actually not true for either -- they hire summer associates.
This is accurate. However, it should be noted that the NYC office of DWT only hires one summer associate, and it's always a 1L. This is specifically because they don't extend permanent offers to summer associates for this office because it's so small.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:15 am

Um, Cahill Gordon should be the first and only name that pops into your head. Floyd Abrams is a partner there and he argued Citizens United and the Pentagon Papers case before the Supreme Court. Not to mention he represents countless reporters in cases where they are being subpoened to protect their confidential sources. He represented Judith Miller and was even in a movie about reporter's privilege. NY Times is a HUGE client of theirs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”