Fordham OCI bid list

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fordham OCI bid list

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

grades put me b/w top 10%-15%, non-LR journal, 5+yrs solid work experience in finance. also, i am an evening student, still working full-time while going to school. i understand v10 is obviously out (but may throw a bid or two to the firms where i'd really like to work), but should i focus more v20-50, or 50-100?

thanks for any opinions

OnceUponAMemo

Re: Fordham OCI bid list

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Do you have a working list? It would be easier for TLS to critique if you put out what you had now, then we could comment.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Congrats, classmate! I would not rule out some of the V10 that have larger class sizes. Your WE is golden and you probably have a better shot than you think. I agree that you should post your bid list so the most knowledgeable people on here can assist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Congrats, classmate! I would not rule out some of the V10 that have larger class sizes. Your WE is golden and you probably have a better shot than you think. I agree that you should post your bid list so the most knowledgeable people on here can assist.

this girl plugs fordham shamelessly. v10 is out of the question nonlrev, non-top 10% at fordham. 10% of fordham students got jobs at oci = play it smart and go top 100. don't feed on opera's hopelessly optimistic teet...be realistic and bid accordingly. you'll be fine, but don't think you're "golden" because some tls-fulltime fordham booster told you so.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:56 am

LOL at 10% of Fordham getting jobs through OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:58 am

it was around 30% this year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:it was around 30% this year

right...the head dean of career services lied to me. lying to yourself is an easy way to get through oci jobless.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:

right...the head dean of career services lied to me. lying to yourself is an easy way to get through oci jobless.

People try to say its 40% at Fordham and that you take with not a grain, but an entire salt shaker. In reality about 25% of last year's class got a job through OCI.

To OP:
I also just missed the top 10% cut-off and would be happy to talk about my current bid-list or other things if you want to PM. Bidding wisely certainly is the proper response here, but your grades (assuming you are over a 3.5) make you competitive at least for many V20-V100 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:33 am

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

People try to say its 40% at Fordham and that you take with not a grain, but an entire salt shaker. In reality about 25% of last year's class got a job through OCI.

To OP:
I also just missed the top 10% cut-off and would be happy to talk about my current bid-list or other things if you want to PM. Bidding wisely certainly is the proper response here, but your grades (assuming you are over a 3.5) make you competitive at least for many V20-V100 firms.

how do you recommend bidding if top 10% and law review?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm responding anonymously but I am a Fordham 3L, top 10% last year, at a firm now...

Bid wherever you want, seriously. Look at the 1-2-3 list and bid all 2+'s that you would want to work at. Bid on the 2's that you want to work at. Bid a bunch of the V10 but skip SullCrom and Cravath - they won't hire you and frankly you probably want a better quality of life, however minimally better.

Last tip - don't bid on 2 firms that you're neutral about and only have 21 slots - it's a waste of a bid.

And no, I'm not giving any insight over the internet as to what the 1-2-3 list says.

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm responding anonymously but I am a Fordham 3L, top 10% last year, at a firm now...

Bid wherever you want, seriously. Look at the 1-2-3 list and bid all 2+'s that you would want to work at. Bid on the 2's that you want to work at. Bid a bunch of the V10 but skip SullCrom and Cravath - they won't hire you and frankly you probably want a better quality of life, however minimally better.

Last tip - don't bid on 2 firms that you're neutral about and only have 21 slots - it's a waste of a bid.

And no, I'm not giving any insight over the internet as to what the 1-2-3 list says.

This is because they are ridiculously overbid? I have a bunch of them on my list now thinking they were conservative options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm responding anonymously but I am a Fordham 3L, top 10% last year, at a firm now...

if you are top 10%, how much does ranking the bids matter? should i just rank the firms i want most at the top, regardless of how many offers they gave and amount of interviews they do?

and what do you mean "only have 21 slots"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

if you are top 10%, how much does ranking the bids matter? should i just rank the firms i want most at the top, regardless of how many offers they gave and amount of interviews they do?

and what do you mean "only have 21 slots"?

Ranking matters because of the way interview slots are given out. The first five or so bids are firms that you're worried won't choose you and you want to make sure you get in that door.

only have 21 slots means that the firm is only interviewing 21 people. You should be familiar with this...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:17 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:

This is because they are ridiculously overbid? I have a bunch of them on my list now thinking they were conservative options.

I would recommend considering what other students are ranking. While your chance of getting a callback may be better than other students, you need to also worry about getting in that door for the preliminary interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”