In house?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In house?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:32 pm

How does one go about getting an in-house position.

Anonymous User

Re: In house?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Graduate from Harvard Law and do ten years at Baker & McKenzie. You'll have a great shot.

VA LawDog

Postby VA LawDog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:36 pm

I heard that going in-house without experience is like trying to get to heaven without dying first - possible with the right drugs, but really difficult.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

I know a Cooley grad who got an inhouse job right out of school. No work experience at all. She was also slamming hot though. Definitely an outlier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Depends what you mean. Lots and lots of companies hire junior attorneys for lowish pay to do (oftentimes non-legal) scut work. Insurance companies are notorious for this, but there certainly are others. To get these jobs, just be willing to work average-to-high hours doing dredgery -- though some firm experience will help.

Now, if you mean the sort of more senior in house position that pays well and is interesting -- and usually involves supervising outside counsel -- then you'll probably want to have approximately 5 years of experience at a big firm. Transactional/securities/regulatory experience is necessary for most of these jobs, though there are a few spots for litigators (again mostly in the insurance context).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Im working at a production company as a legal intern (0L btw). Here, the VP's and Senior VP's of legal all went to T1 schools and went BigLaw for a while, then lateraled over. The juinor lawyers honestly have very little chance at advancement within the company (Since they are actively looking to hire someone out of Biglaw right now instead of promoting from within). That said, the junior lawyers have a pretty good gig...9-6, decent pay (not 6 figs), awesome working environment, and relatively easy/light workload. The majority of what they do consists of copyright clearances and basic employment contracts with talent. They dont even get to see the big distribution/licensing/production deals. So you can go in house right out of LS, but career advancement shouldnt be what your looking for (at least within the entertainment industry). They want to see Biglaw experience if you actually want a chance at a parking spot and fat bonus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

any in house at OCI for top 14 law schools?

happy187

Postby happy187 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I am a PT student and I my goal was to go in house for the company I work for. Fortune 500 bank, we are in 5 states with around 600 locations. I called our corporate legal department to discuss transistion options and they were pretty straigh forward in the response. They rarely ever hire straight out of law school. They did it once a few years ago and it didn't work out. The reason they stated was in house works with a small staff and a virtually no safety net. They prefer an attorney enter the office knowing what to do.

Then again I have meet with other in house that were more receptive to straight out of law school grads. These companies typically had greater emphasis on litigation.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm

A large majority of inhouse positions at major corporations go to former biglaw attorneys, that's just sort of how the pipeline is set up. Some are so big that they hire summer classes or fresh graduates (I've heard of oil and gas companies and HP doing so at least).

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Really seems biglaw is the gateway to a lot of legal jobs. Want a plus in-house gig? Get biglaw experience. Want a prestigious PI position? Probably should get biglaw experience. Want to go into academia? Do a clerkship, do biglaw for a bit, VAP, then become a professor.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

bhan87 wrote:Really seems biglaw is the gateway to a lot of legal jobs. Want a plus in-house gig? Get biglaw experience. Want a prestigious PI position? Probably should get biglaw experience. Want to go into academia? Do a clerkship, do biglaw for a bit, VAP, then become a professor.

Yep.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

bhan87 wrote:Really seems biglaw is the gateway to a lot of legal jobs. Want a plus in-house gig? Get biglaw experience. Want a prestigious PI position? Probably should get biglaw experience. Want to go into academia? Do a clerkship, do biglaw for a bit, VAP, then become a professor.

That last sentence is funnier if you replace the "V" with an "F".

To echo sealocust, its infinitely easier to go biglaw --> inhouse. Preferably transactional practice in biglaw --> inhouse. Really, your exit options are so much better if you biglaw it for a bit. Lots of in-house attys only worked a brief time in biglaw so if you are concerned about losing your soul to billables its only temporary my friend.

iwantT14

Postby iwantT14 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 am

what kind of salaries do in-house attorneys make? lets say you put in 4 years in biglaw and are making 200kish there, would you be making a comparable amount (salary and bonus) with the in-house gig? im assuming the hours are much better also.

happy187

Postby happy187 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:19 pm

iwantT14 wrote:what kind of salaries do in-house attorneys make? lets say you put in 4 years in biglaw and are making 200kish there, would you be making a comparable amount (salary and bonus) with the in-house gig? im assuming the hours are much better also.

I have been told that it is usally less. maybe around 15-20% pay cut seemed typical from the in house attys I spoke with. Altough there are many other factors, pension, vacation time, and size of company moving to.

Return to “Legal Employment”