Is it too soon to start targeted mailings to non-oci firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it too soon to start targeted mailings to non-oci firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Too soon?

Anonymous User

Re: Is it too soon to start targeted mailings to non-oci firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 pm

bump

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:47 pm

No. I understand the general consensus to be that 07/15 is an appropriate time to start and that if you want to be ahead of the curve, you should apply beginning 07/01. HTH.

ObLaDiObLaDa

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm struggling with that question myself. Seems to depend more on the market, and the types of firms.

At least in my smaller market, if I'm aiming for mid to small sized firms, it seems like anything before about October seems early.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:57 pm

* checks watch *

Continue with the operation. You may fire when ready.

In seriousness, this is probably the perfect time. Firms are getting ready for fall hiring. You could still not hear back for a month++, but it's no longer 'early'.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Sending mine out to home market this weekend. Fingers crossed...

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Are you guys sending in your apps now just on the assumption that the firms are ready for them, or have you called and asked? I hate to send mine in too early and have it completely forgotten about by the time the firm actually gets around to considering them. On the other hand, I don't particularly want to call 100+ firms and ask either.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:06 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Are you guys sending in your apps now just on the assumption that the firms are ready for them, or have you called and asked? I hate to send mine in too early and have it completely forgotten about by the time the firm actually gets around to considering them. On the other hand, I don't particularly want to call 100+ firms and ask either.

Firms are ready, firms will not forget. You're not writing a letter to your friend, there are people at firms whose job description involves neither losing nor forgetting about applications you send to them.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Bobby Dazzler wrote:Sending mine out to home market this weekend. Fingers crossed...

Same, I have a phone meeting with career services in the morning on Friday, and then I'm going to send everything out in the early afternoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

If I actually follow through with transferring, the mass mail situation becomes very different. Since I'm moving to a school in my home market, pretty much every major firm I was going to mass mail is now at my new school's OCI. Life just got a whole lot easier. Just a few stragglers not coming that I have to get in touch with.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:40 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Are you guys sending in your apps now just on the assumption that the firms are ready for them, or have you called and asked? I hate to send mine in too early and have it completely forgotten about by the time the firm actually gets around to considering them. On the other hand, I don't particularly want to call 100+ firms and ask either.

I'll be home in two weeks and wanted to give the firms time to accommodate any potential interview. Assuming I can get some interviews...

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:36 am

Bobby Dazzler wrote:

I'll be home in two weeks and wanted to give the firms time to accommodate any potential interview. Assuming I can get some interviews...

That's what I was thinking too. The problem is, as ObLa mentioned above, most of the firms in my market don't appear to be interested in any interviews until around October.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:07 pm

I just sent mine out on 7/13.

Return to “Legal Employment”