Pre-OCI Reception at Jenner & Block Chicago

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre-OCI Reception at Jenner & Block Chicago

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 am

Anyone go? What did you think?

I went and enjoyed it. Everyone seemed happy and pretty honest about how things were going.

Anonymous User

Re: Pre-OCI Reception at Jenner & Block Chicago

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:44 am

Would you mind sharing anything specific that might be helpful for people considering them? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:53 am

They all seemed genuinely happy to be there, even if they were going back to work after the event. They talked about specific cases/deals they were working on, they lavished praise on the training they get from partners who are at the top of their fields, etc. I got a really good vibe from them.

The ones who said they were going back to work said that they have busy days and not so busy days but the schedule isn't quite as bad as people generally make it out to be. One said that she had an easy day but the in-house counsel at a client sent over a bunch of work at 5pm that slammed her and will make for a long night. That seems to be fairly common.

They value facetime at the firm and associate offices are sprinkled in with partners and senior associates, so it's important to be there but it's not absolutely necessary that you're the first in and last out: one first year said that sometimes to beat rush hour, he'll work from home in the morning and come in around 10 or he'll leave at 4 and work from home for a few hours in the evening. The firm is learning that technology pretty much makes people available.

Oh, and the views from the office were amazing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:27 am

Agreed with pretty much everything the poster above said. I enjoyed it, people were honest though most seemed optimistic (both partners and associates said they were very busy). Definitely seemed like a good fit for me. Did anyone get any impression of how big their 2012 class might be?

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am

Tagged.

Wish I could've been there.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I have absolutely no ties to this firm or Chicago, but wanted to at least shed some light on these "receptions" that firms host. First, the attendees from the firm are typically VERY CAREFULLY selected. Firms don't allow just any old associate to walk in and start sharing experiences. Rather, the recruiting department has selected the most social and typically up-beat associates. These are the partners/associates that go to all receptions and recruiting events.

It is great that everyone was pleasant, and perhaps everyone is actually pleasant at this firm, but as a current associate at a NY biglaw firm, I would caution anyone from taking away too much about firm culture/associate satisfaction from these receptions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 pm

^^^Maybe it's how it works at your firm, but I'm at Jenner, and any associate who wanted to attend the reception was free to do so.

Drewtheman84

Postby Drewtheman84 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Yeah. My advice for any reception is to take it for what it's worth...not much. I had a classmate who left a similar reception at Jenner beaming and touting it as the best firm in the city. She interviewed there and absolutely hated it and turned down an offer.

As mentioned, of course they will tell you they are busy (but not too busy). Of course they will seem optimistic about the firm--surely Jenner is not suffering. However, I think it's rare to go to a reception and not enjoy it. Whether it's the view from the reception room, the attractive, well-balanced associates they parade in front of you, the food, or whatever, firms are always going to try to impress. The best thing to do is to talk to classmates, friends, alumni, etc that work there that will be honest with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Drewtheman84 wrote:Yeah. My advice for any reception is to take it for what it's worth...not much. I had a classmate who left a similar reception at Jenner beaming and touting it as the best firm in the city. She interviewed there and absolutely hated it and turned down an offer.

As mentioned, of course they will tell you they are busy (but not too busy). Of course they will seem optimistic about the firm--surely Jenner is not suffering. However, I think it's rare to go to a reception and not enjoy it. Whether it's the view from the reception room, the attractive, well-balanced associates they parade in front of you, the food, or whatever, firms are always going to try to impress. The best thing to do is to talk to classmates, friends, alumni, etc that work there that will be honest with you.

I will honestly say this hasn't been true for every reception I have attended. There are two firms where the food and location sucked, two firms where the associates admitted that it sucked there, and one firm where the associates seemed downright bizarre.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm also at Jenner and not only was this open to all associates, the firm did not (to my acknowledge) selectively encourage some to go but not others. I'm sure that there's some natural self selection at these things--if you hate the firm, why would you go to a recruiting event for 2Ls?--but at least at this reception there wasn't more than that happening (as far as I know).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah, there were clearly some associates/partners who had signed up to come and had pre-printed name tags, but there were an equal number of them who came and hand-wrote their name tag when they got there. I didn't get the feeling that the firm was trying to ensure that we only saw happy associates.

What do people think of Jenner?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do people think of Jenner?

It's my dream firm, and one I won't likely get given the GPA numbers for callbacks. Culture seems awesome, the lit department has an incredible rep. DO WANT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:

It's my dream firm, and one I won't likely get given the GPA numbers for callbacks. Culture seems awesome, the lit department has an incredible rep. DO WANT.

This is what I'm thinking, too. What do you know about their GPA requirements? My school refuses to give any meaningful info...

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Pretty similar feelings from me. Given our lack of data I have no idea whether I'm likely to get a callback, however.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

This is what I'm thinking, too. What do you know about their GPA requirements? My school refuses to give any meaningful info...

NU's combined median for the past two years was something around a 3.7-ish, iirc (i may be off .1 in either direction because I don't have my sheet handy.) They can afford to be selective.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:52 pm

For those of you who are at Jenner (or who know people at Jenner), do you think it's a sweatshop? Any knowledge re: work/life balance? Their VAULT survey is kind of sparse.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:55 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

NU's combined median for the past two years was something around a 3.7-ish, iirc (i may be off .1 in either direction because I don't have my sheet handy.) They can afford to be selective.

I've heard NU has some inflation...where does 3.7 put you in the class?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:56 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I've heard NU has some inflation...where does 3.7 put you in the class?

Anywhere from top 1/4 to 15%, I would guess.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Hopefully their SA class goes up a bit next year. It was a little surprising that it remained at 16 according to NALP for this summer when some of the other bigger Chicago firms (especially Sidley and K&E) made a jump back close to or above 09 levels.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Hopefully their SA class goes up a bit next year. It was a little surprising that it remained at 16 according to NALP for this summer when some of the other bigger Chicago firms (especially Sidley and K&E) made a jump back close to or above 09 levels.

Hard to tell, but I'm wishing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:36 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
I've heard NU has some inflation...where does 3.7 put you in the class?

Jenner's Median for Mich students is 3.45 FWIW. I think that's around top 25% here, but not positive. Since I don't imagine that JB would have lower standards for Michigan students, I'm assuming the 3.45 and 3.7 are about equivalent.

Also note however that Michigan gives data for offers and not just callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:29 pm

So no firsthand experience with Jenner? Worklife?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:34 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Hopefully their SA class goes up a bit next year. It was a little surprising that it remained at 16 according to NALP for this summer when some of the other bigger Chicago firms (especially Sidley and K&E) made a jump back close to or above 09 levels.

After talking with a classmate who was at the reception, it sounds like they may not be increasing from the 16 very much, if at all. Anecdotal and with a grain of salt of course, but Goddamnit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I believe Class of 2011 starts in January.

But they are receiving a nice, substantial stipend. Unlike the incoming associates at Weil Gotshal.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:

After talking with a classmate who was at the reception, it sounds like they may not be increasing from the 16 very much, if at all. Anecdotal and with a grain of salt of course, but Goddamnit.

Disappointing. Even a few would be nice.

Return to “Legal Employment”