Mass Mail Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mail Question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm

When mass mailing for OCI, should a transcript be sent along, or should I wait for them to ask for it?

(Median-ish grades if it matters)

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mail Question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 pm

I wouldn't send a transcript for median grades. I'm sure your GPA is on your resume, so you don't want to draw any extra attention to it. You would only send an unsolicited transcript if your grades are a key selling point

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Columbia doesn't assign GPA's, and therefore cannot be placed on a resume. Does that change anything?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Columbia doesn't assign GPA's, and therefore cannot be placed on a resume. Does that change anything?

So all you have is your rank? Hmm, that is sort of a dilemma since you don't want to put "50th percentile" on your resume, but at the same time, you can't have a complete lack of academic information from 1L year. I can't really say I know the answer here. My intuition says that you should just wait for the employers to request grades info before you provide any. Perhaps they will just see "Columbia" and be so impressed that they don't even bother looking too hard at academic info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Columbia doesn't assign GPA's, and therefore cannot be placed on a resume. Does that change anything?

Calculate your own GPA and call it "estimated:" (e.g., "GPA: 3.52 (estimated)"). Schools don't "assign" GPAs, and you can bet every other Columbia student will be calculating their GPA and putting it down.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 pm

"Class Rank: Top 50%" sounds better than "50th Percentile"

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 pm

kaiser wrote:

So all you have is your rank? Hmm, that is sort of a dilemma since you don't want to put "50th percentile" on your resume, but at the same time, you can't have a complete lack of academic information from 1L year. I can't really say I know the answer here. My intuition says that you should just wait for the employers to request grades info before you provide any. Perhaps they will just see "Columbia" and be so impressed that they don't even bother looking too hard at academic info.

UVa doesn't give a "GPA" or "rank." You just calculate your GPA yourself and put it on your resume if you desire.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:

UVa doesn't give a "GPA" or "rank." You just calculate your GPA yourself and put it on your resume if you desire.

Your GPA appears on some pages in SIS, just not on the transcript that slowly finds its way to symplicity.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:
5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Your GPA appears on some pages in SIS, just not on the transcript that slowly finds its way to symplicity.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. No GPA "for purposes of outside employers," I suppose.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Eh, some schools (cough penn cough) try to pretend GPAs don't exist and prohibit their calculation. While UVA doesn't make them obvious, it also doesn't go far enough to say we have no GPA for the purposes of outside employers.

Return to “Legal Employment”