Critique Bid List for HLS 2Hs 8Ps Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Critique Bid List for HLS 2Hs 8Ps

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Looks good to me now.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 pm

do you have a hard sciences background? otherwise the patent bids or even the IP-only bids might not make much sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:55 pm

englawyer wrote:do you have a hard sciences background? otherwise the patent bids or even the IP-only bids might not make much sense.
I do, but only a bachelor's and not in engineering. I think Jones Day might only allow 1 interview, so I might have to strike their IP interview from the list. My impression is I can do both interviews with Weil. I'm hoping the background will give me a small general boost considering the slightly below median grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
englawyer wrote:do you have a hard sciences background? otherwise the patent bids or even the IP-only bids might not make much sense.
I do, but only a bachelor's and not in engineering. I think Jones Day might only allow 1 interview, so I might have to strike their IP interview from the list. My impression is I can do both interviews with Weil. I'm hoping the background will give me a small general boost considering the slightly below median grades.

How did this all turn out for you? As someone in a pretty similar position this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: 31 firms feels like a lot? Should I cut it down? I heard 2Ls from last year say that they thought it was a mistake to bid for as many as OCS will tell you to.
what was their reasoning? it seems like more bids will just get more screening interviews. are they warning you of exhaustion or what?
You should bid on as many as you are able to, but once you get the results you might want to cancel a few. Last year I did six or seven on a single day, and by the last one I had such a huge case of the fuck-it-alls that I performed poorly. No need to decide now, though.
Yea, that, getting the "fuck-I-can't-do-this-anymore" mentality is part of what I'm afraid of. Also, maybe I've spoken to the wrong (the right?) people, but those I spoke to did not need that many bids to get several callbacks. They wished they had been a bit more selective about their bid lists, by which I mean bid fewer firms but still cover your ass and have some safeties.

I think your strategy could be right in that I can always cancel a few later, but I'm wondering if I'd have a better chance of getting every target firm on my list if I just cull a few now. For example, if I have a ton of firms coming on the 16th on my list, am I setting myself up to lose a few I want because I have too many bids for that day?
I did 39 interviews, felt fine at end of the day, albeit tired but I don't think more so than anyone else. Really depends on you personally. If you think, and in fact can, handle a lot of interviews, then its fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How did this all turn out for you? As someone in a pretty similar position this year.
OP here. Sorry I only just saw your post since I haven't been checking this old thread regularly, but I don't think it's too late to at least tell you how it turned out. Just fyi, I think I'm a pretty good interviewer, although I do get a little nervous when I'm thrown off by weird questions. Most OCI interviews don't involve any trick questions or brainteasers though, so I got through them pretty well. I got 8 CBs, including 1 V10, 2 V20, and the rest V20-V50. I decided to go for one of the V20s where I am now.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”