Resume Length Pre-Law School Jobs and 2L Work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
studebaker07

Resume Length Pre-Law School Jobs and 2L Work

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 am

My resume is currently at 3 pages in length. I am thinking that is too long but I want to make sure I include all my strong points.

I worked for about 3 years before law school at a small business as a marketing exec and then as a management consultant. I had some pretty significant accomplishments at this job that I think should definitely stay on the resume. However, the description of duties for this job currently takes up 8 lines.

During 2L and this summer, I have held 3 legal jobs / externships that I want to include on my resume.

Combine all that with the school information and personal information section and I am at 3 pages.

Should I cut a lot from my pre-law school work experience section or is 3 pages OK for resume length?

timbs4339

Re: Resume Length Pre-Law School Jobs and 2L Work

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:48 am

I'd say that is way too long. I've seen resumes of people with 5+ years of very relevant finance/banking/consulting WE plus summer internships fit on to one page. Cut the personal information section- I always used that as a resume filler when I didn't have enough for one page. Play around with fonts. Remove college clubs and organizations if you have enough law school ones.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 am

Great, thanks for the tip. I am also a transfer student so I am tempted to cut-out my old school completely. Just my education information alone (as it currently stands) takes up about a half-page. Thoughts?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 am

That is far too long. No reason for 8 lines dedicated to any single job experience. I had one year of work experience, and found a way to get it onto one page. You have a bit more to speak of, so perhaps you can stretch it onto a second page, but you are doing something wrong if you need it to stretch onto a third. Not concise enough.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:03 am

What personal information? Name address, phone number can be two-three lines.

I have 5yrs experience in four jobs (some were held concurrently) and two schools with lots of activities and other info. All fits on one page at 11 font and small margins. No one wants to read your three pages. Theyre not hiring a doctor with a ten page CV. You might be way too wordy or over-stylized.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:09 am

It definitely sounds like there's a formatting problem because even with what you've described, I think you could get it to a page and a half. There's no reason to have "full" spaces between parts, put the cursor there and make the font more like 5pt (or less) so there's separation but not wasted space. If you have multiple awards or activities, write them all on one line separated by commas. Look critically at everything and see where you can save space or use less words. Make sure you're not repeating information for the marketing and management positions. The transfer school should NOT take a half a page! My ugrad + law school are less than half a page! Include only the most important/relevant things, put yourself in the employer's position and think about what would be interesting to you.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have cut it down to 1.5 pages and I am going to continue to edit it down to 1 page. Do people think that it would okay for me to take my 1L law school off of my resume or is this a bad idea? It would save me about 10 lines. Thanks.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

studebaker07 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I have cut it down to 1.5 pages and I am going to continue to edit it down to 1 page. Do people think that it would okay for me to take my 1L law school off of my resume or is this a bad idea? It would save me about 10 lines. Thanks.

I wouldn't take it off, but 10 lines is a lot. What do you have from 1L that takes up 10 lines?

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 am

timbs4339 wrote:I wouldn't take it off, but 10 lines is a lot. What do you have from 1L that takes up 10 lines?

The school name, GPA, honors, and activities. I cut the activities down to the bare minimum to only include the Law Review invite, and an officer position for a club. So now the 1L school only takes up 5 lines which is probably more appropriate. At this point, I will have to cut out my pre-law school WE completely to get to one page.

npe

Postby npe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:18 am

studebaker07 wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone. I have cut it down to 1.5 pages and I am going to continue to edit it down to 1 page. Do people think that it would okay for me to take my 1L law school off of my resume or is this a bad idea? It would save me about 10 lines. Thanks.

I can think of an easy way to save yourself nine lines. What the hell is on there taking up TEN lines?

edit: answered. Trust me, your pre-law school work experience is WAY more important than your student club position.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 am

studebaker07 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I wouldn't take it off, but 10 lines is a lot. What do you have from 1L that takes up 10 lines?

The school name, GPA, honors, and activities. I cut the activities down to the bare minimum to only include the Law Review invite, and an officer position for a club. So now the 1L school only takes up 5 lines which is probably more appropriate. At this point, I will have to cut out my pre-law school WE completely to get to one page.

Unless you have other pre-LS WE, don't take it off. It's pretty solid experience. See if you can reduce college down to just the name of school, honors, and GPA.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 am

Don't be so verbose. My dad's resume fits on a page and he's 60.

Something like 1L school should be like 2 lines:

Something something school of law,
Candidate for Juris Doctor, GPA 3.99

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:32 am

Okay I am almost there. I have effectively shortened both my transfer and UG schools to 3 lines a piece: school name, GPA, and honors. I think I can be more concise in my descriptions for each job. I am at 1 page and 10 lines right now. I will do some more cutting but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

My resume was obviously in need of a re-work. I am visiting with CSO and, in any case, my resume was apparently too damn long! Thanks for The advice everybody. For some reason, the CSO at my 1L school said two pages was okay. Glad I sought an opinion from the TLS community.
Last edited by studebaker07 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:33 am

One last thing: at my transfer school, I have 3 Cali awards. Should I list those or just cut them? It would save me four lines at least.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 am

studebaker07 wrote:One last thing: at my transfer school, I have 3 Cali awards. Should I list those or just cut them? It would save me four lines at least.

Lol, how are you this bad with resumes? You just write CALI Award, and then next to it, list the three classes. Why would you waste 4 lines if you can put it all into 1 line? C'mon man.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 am

kaiser wrote:
studebaker07 wrote:One last thing: at my transfer school, I have 3 Cali awards. Should I list those or just cut them? It would save me four lines at least.

Lol, how are you this bad with resumes? You just write CALI Award, and then next to it, list the three classes. Why would you waste 4 lines if you can put it all into 1 line? C'mon man.

Apparently I am very bad. But there is always room for improvement right? I guess my problem is I am just being too verbose and I am stylistically obsessive compulsive.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:59 am

studebaker07 wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Apparently I am very bad. But there is always room for improvement right? I guess my problem is I am just being too verbose and I am stylistically obsessive compulsive.

Well hey, at least you know what the problem is, and that it can be easily fixed

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am

kaiser wrote:
Well hey, at least you know what the problem is, and that it can be easily fixed

True. Being too wordy has always been a problem I have struggled with but I best fix that habit if I want to be a successful lawyer. Exercises like this are helpful in that regard. Thank you for the help.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:38 am

Well I did it. I got everything down to fit inside one page. I cut a lot from my pre-law school WE and cut A LOT of activities from law school. Pretty much all I have under activities for both my old school and the transfer school are "Law Review Member". I hope employers see my resume as strong.

Does anybody care to take a look to see if I'm good to go?

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

Well done! Props to you for being so willing to take people's advice and work on your resume-writing skills.

I'd be happy to take a look at it and see if anything jumps out at me.

Return to “Legal Employment”