ATL Scotus Clerkship info

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nymario

ATL Scotus Clerkship info

Postby nymario » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:29 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Notably, Breyer has already hired 3 (possibly 2) -- one of whom is a Kozinski clerk -- for OT12, so he may not be retiring before this election cycle. Ginsburg only has hired 1 (a Posner clerk!), and I'd be very surprised if she didn't retire next summer.
Last edited by nymario on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Re: ATL Scotus Clerkship info

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 pm

nymario wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/07/supreme-court-clerk-hiring-watch-the-changing-of-the-guard/#more-81475

Notably, Breyer has already hired 3 (possibly 2) -- one of whom is a Kozinski clerk -- for OT12, so he may not be retiring before this election cycle. Ginsberg only has hired 1 (a Posner clerk!), and I'd be very surprised if she didn't retire next summer.

I'm not sure what about that makes you think Ginsburg is retiring. Roberts/Scalia/Kennedy/Alito have hired a combined one between them for OT12.
Last edited by 5ky on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nymario

Postby nymario » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Because Ginsburg is on the typical "liberal" side of the court, and almost certainly would not want her replacement appointed by a Republican president. Scalia almost certainly would not retire in 2012, pending the election - Kennedy is usually put in this category.

Roberts and Alito are far too young to consider.

I'm sorry, I considered this part obvious in light of mentioning the election cycle.
Last edited by nymario on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

nymario wrote:Because Ginsberg is on the typical "liberal" side of the court, and almost certainly would not want her replacement appointed by a Republican president. Scalia almost certainly would not retire in 2012, pending the election - Kennedy is usually put in this category.

I'm sorry, I considered this part obvious in light of mentioning the election cycle.

Ginsburg has made it very clear that she will not time her retirement based on politics. Scalia will probably end up dying on the bench, though I wouldn't be surprised if he took the opportunity to jump in, say, 2019 if a Republican was to win in 2016.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Complete (and probably baseless) speculation but I could see a surprise Thomas retirement at basically any time, no matter who the president is. He strikes me as someone who both doesn't really enjoy his job that much and as someone who wouldn't really care who his successor is, despite how political he is (his wife could be an influence though (more baseless spec)).

With Ginsburg a lot of it probably depends on her health, the current state of which I know nothing about.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
nymario wrote:Because Ginsberg is on the typical "liberal" side of the court, and almost certainly would not want her replacement appointed by a Republican president. Scalia almost certainly would not retire in 2012, pending the election - Kennedy is usually put in this category.

Ginsburg has made it very clear that she will not time her retirement based on politics. Scalia will probably end up dying on the bench, though I wouldn't be surprised if he took the opportunity to jump in, say, 2019 if a Republican was to win in 2016.

Even if she did, retiring in the months in the middle of a presidential campaign would probably be too much. Can you imagine how that would muddy the waters?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:51 pm

goodolgil wrote:Complete (and probably baseless) speculation but I could see a surprise Thomas retirement at basically any time, no matter who the president is. He strikes me as someone who both doesn't really enjoy his job that much and as someone who wouldn't really care who his successor is, despite how political he is (his wife could be an influence though (more baseless spec)).

With Ginsburg a lot of it probably depends on her health, the current state of which I know nothing about.

What makes you think Thomas doesn't like his job? The fact that he never talks to anybody at work?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Proud to see one Boaltie up there....although I'm worried that he's the one RBG clerk that they have the wrong info for....

And holy crap - didn't realize Fletcher was such a feeder judge. No wonder his fed courts section is the hardest class at Boalt. Super gunner alert. :shock:

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Bronte wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Complete (and probably baseless) speculation but I could see a surprise Thomas retirement at basically any time, no matter who the president is. He strikes me as someone who both doesn't really enjoy his job that much and as someone who wouldn't really care who his successor is, despite how political he is (his wife could be an influence though (more baseless spec)).

What makes you think Thomas doesn't like his job? The fact that he never talks to anybody at work?

I dunno, I read that book "The Nine" awhile back. Seemed like he enjoys "regular folk" life (fishing, bbq, etc...) more than being a Supreme Court justice.

It's been awhile tho and I'm not even sure if I'm remembering it right.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:42 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Bronte wrote:

I dunno, I read that book "The Nine" awhile back. Seemed like he enjoys "regular folk" life (fishing, bbq, etc...) more than being a Supreme Court justice.

It's been awhile tho and I'm not even sure if I'm remembering it right.

Yeah I was joking. Anyone who has to hang out with Ginsberg all day could not possibly like their job.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Bronte wrote:Yeah I was joking. Anyone who has to hang out with Ginsberg all day could not possibly like their job.

Ginsburg. Seriously, not hard to spell her name correctly.

Everything's hard for me to spell.

Return to “Legal Employment”