PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swc65

Silver

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
swc65 wrote:If someone did well, be happy for them or don't read their FB. I just don't get it. What is it abut seeing others succeed that makes you so pissed? How can you ever make friends with people if you don't want to share in their triumphs?
People who do well should count their blessings and shut the hell up. We are not talking about discussing something with law school friends, discreetly, when someone asks (IF they ask). We are talking about posting it so that everyone will know -- people who do that are not doing it to tell their family or close friends (who they will tell eventually). They are doing it so that everyone at their law school knows. That is why these people are douches. And by the way, it is not seeing others succeed that makes people pissed. It is seeing others succeed and then fail so hard at being a humble/normal/non-douchey human being. Plenty of people are loved for their success, because they don't rub it in other people's faces like jackasses.

But maybe you're right. I suppose on your theory you could also go up to a homeless person and scream "I have a home! I sleep on a bed every night! Be happy for me!" But if he punched you in the face, I would not be surprised.

No I understand that there is a line and some people cross it. Like I said, putting all your grades is a bit much. No, I am not advocating going up to homeless people and rubbing in their faces. The thing is, if you don't want to read about someone's life, don't go on their FB. Reading their FB status is not the same as them going into your home (even if it happens to a be a box in the park) and yelling at you about their success. But, they shouldn't have to "shut the hell up."

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 pm

cortknee wrote:Also, can people stop posting their vacation picture, happy moments with significant others, or anything positive at all? I am so sick of people bragging about their lives. I only want to see posts about what you are eating and how much your life sucks.

Well, if they like what they are eating or are skinny and can eat without gaining weight, they shouldn't put that on there either.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:22 pm

swc65 wrote:No I understand that there is a line and some people cross it. Like I said, putting all your grades is a bit much. No, I am not advocating going up to homeless people and rubbing in their faces. The thing is, if you don't want to read about someone's life, don't go on their FB. Reading their FB status is not the same as them going into your home (even if it happens to a be a box in the park) and yelling at you about their success. But, they shouldn't have to "shut the hell up."
Let's not pretend like FB is one's little bubble. For better or for worse, we're all getting social media shoved down our throats. It's like saying, "If you don't like people shoving on to the elevator before you get off, don't take the elevator."

cortknee

New

Post by cortknee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:23 pm

IAFG wrote:In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing crippling debt and dismal employment prospects, it's absolutely inappropriate to gloat. Honestly I am disgusted by anyone who would still defend this. Think about the pre-facebook equivalent: having an LR t-shirt made? Announcing it over and over? Painting "ZOMG 4th CALLBACK!" on your garage? Stop trying to defend being a dick.

In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing a lifetime of loneliness and shitty relationship prospects, it is absolutely inappropriate to gloat about getting engaged.This about the pre-facebook equivalent: WEaring a large diamond ring? Putting a wedding announcement in the paper, sending out wedding invitations, shower invitations. Painting "Just Married" on the back of your car? Stop trying to defend being a dick.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 pm

cortknee wrote:
IAFG wrote:In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing crippling debt and dismal employment prospects, it's absolutely inappropriate to gloat. Honestly I am disgusted by anyone who would still defend this. Think about the pre-facebook equivalent: having an LR t-shirt made? Announcing it over and over? Painting "ZOMG 4th CALLBACK!" on your garage? Stop trying to defend being a dick.

In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing a lifetime of loneliness and shitty relationship prospects, it is absolutely inappropriate to gloat about getting engaged.This about the pre-facebook equivalent: WEaring a large diamond ring? Putting a wedding announcement in the paper, sending out wedding invitations, shower invitations. Painting "Just Married" on the back of your car? Stop trying to defend being a dick.
My point exactly.

Also, there are roughly as many men as women. There are not as many top grades/LR spots/SAs as law students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 pm

cortknee wrote:

Dude no one wants to get married.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 pm

cortknee wrote:

Why yes, because engagements are clearly a zero-sum game. Hooray strawmen! I'm actually impressed with how illiterate the people defending assholery are pretending to be.
Last edited by zanda on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 pm

swc65 wrote: And? I mean why can people not be happy about their success and share it? Because others feel inadequate upon hearing about the success of others? Perhaps it is the people who feel inadequate and get angry that should change their reactions. Isn't better to be happy for others and contemplate how to improve yourself rather than try to silence those who did better so you don't have to be reminded that you didn't do as well? I look up to my friends who are successful and feel glad to be in a position to learn from them rather than be upset and try to guilt/socially punish them into being quiet about their success.
Based on the above, you are either

A) the Dalai Lama, or
B) someone who posted on FB about eight hours ago that they made LR, then told all their homeless friends the same thing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 pm

After it's all said and done, some people are going to think you're an annoying douche for advertising law review status or grades on your facebook or wherever. Call them sensitive, self-conscious crybabies if you want, but the fact that there is a non-trivial amount of law students who have such a strong gut reaction to your actions, that's probably all you need to know about what course you should take. Law school takes a lot out of people. It hits some people to their very core and a lot of emotions are bound up in law school success. Some people are terrified about job prospects and are facing mountains of debt. It can be devastating. So by all means, take the "I don't give a fuck what they think; they should be patting me on the back" approach. Just don't expect to have a lot of friends, or a small amount of enemies ready to jump for joy when you stumble.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 pm

I know what you guys mean. When one of my friends' relationship status changes from "single" to "it's complicated" or "in a relationship" I get so fucking pissed!! I mean, why the fuck do they think that they should gloat about every little thing that happens to them.

Just as much as I hate those assholes who post pictures of their vacations or fun times that they have out with their friends. I get it, you have more fun than I do. Some of us don't have that much fun, you socially retarded dicks. God, I could just fart in their tea.

The worst have to be the people who update their facebook profile picture when they think that there's a new photo that defines their profile. Jesus, I have such white-hot rage at these self-centered fuckwits. So what?! You had a picture taken of you in the last 9 months? You think that makes you special? Why would they go out of their way to advertise that to the world?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Bronte wrote:
cortknee wrote:

Dude no one wants to get married.

Except the gays for some reason. :lol:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 pm

I have no idea why anyone would brag about either grades or successful family life. I've never been tempted to do either.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 pm

zanda wrote:
cortknee wrote:

Why yes, because engagements are clearly a zero-sum game. Hooray strawmen! I'm actually impressed with how illiterate the people defending assholery are pretending to be.
Well they kind of are. If you marry someone they and you are taken off the market. That's two fewer people that others could marry. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Z3RO wrote:I know what you guys mean. When one of my friends' relationship status changes from "single" to "it's complicated" or "in a relationship" I get so fucking pissed!! I mean, why the fuck do they think that they should gloat about every little thing that happens to them.

Just as much as I hate those assholes who post pictures of their vacations or fun times that they have out with their friends. I get it, you have more fun than I do. Some of us don't have that much fun, you socially retarded dicks. God, I could just fart in their tea.

The worst have to be the people who update their facebook profile picture when they think that there's a new photo that defines their profile. Jesus, I have such white-hot rage at these self-centered fuckwits. So what?! You had a picture taken of you in the last 9 months? You think that makes you special? Why would they go out of their way to advertise that to the world?
How did they even let you into the LSAT testing center?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 pm

IAFG wrote:
cortknee wrote:

My point exactly.

Also, there are roughly as many men as women. There are not as many top grades/LR spots/SAs as law students.
You (or I may) may be misreading this post.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 pm

zanda wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Not because it will make you look unprofessional and douchey, but because I actually will find you and destroy you. I have agents everywhere.

Always. Watching.

I take it you didn't make law review? :wink:

Actually I'm basically on board with this sentiment, but I am definitely a believer that people can post whatever the **** they want when using *their* own social media...
This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.
Yes, because people often use the First Amendment to argue that free speech should be curtailed. :wink:

I actually agree with the sentiment, as I mentioned, but I am a bit wary about the idea of people being shamed in cases where they unintentionally made someone else feel insecure (or, more accurately, where a person blames their feelings of insecurity on someone else's douchiness. Not saying that this applies to this thread particularly though).
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote: How did they even let you into the LSAT testing center?
He's totes well adjusted. He doesn't have an inferiority complex or anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 pm

swc65 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
cortknee wrote:

My point exactly.

You (or I may) may be misreading this post.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I know what you guys mean. When one of my friends' relationship status changes from "single" to "it's complicated" or "in a relationship" I get so fucking pissed!! I mean, why the fuck do they think that they should gloat about every little thing that happens to them.

Please don't fart in my tea.

Yeah it's not a perfect analogy Helm, but I think the disagreement is about when people are "rubbing it in" or just sharing. Seriously, you shouldn't just go to people, point your finger, laugh and say how much worse their grades are than yours. But, I do not think posting on FB "I got X award" is the same thing.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:32 pm

dresden doll wrote:I have no idea why anyone would brag about either grades or successful family life. I've never been tempted to do either.
Yeah worse than posting grades is posting constant updates about your fucking honeymoon. But I don't think it's the same thing. One is nausea-inducing not because you're bragging about something others want, but because you're talking about something that only you care about and invoking images of your ugly ass getting it on. The other is just douchey because others have a significant financial investment in the same thing.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:32 pm

The only reason to brag about anything is because you're insecure (about the size of your penis).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

ITT Helmholtz causes laughter to interrupt my evening ritual of of crying, eating ice cream, and crying.

cortknee

New

Post by cortknee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:33 pm

zanda wrote:
cortknee wrote:

"I'm in law school, I have special feelings. I think I know what a straw man is."

What a bunch of babies. Guess what, you ain't special no more.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Has this been posted yet?

Waah waah, buncha self-absorbed babies. This is exactly what Google+ circles are for. That way you can tell the people in your life who care about you things that you're excited about without some ever-child flying into an impotent rage across town.
Last edited by Z3RO on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 pm

cortknee wrote:
zanda wrote:
cortknee wrote:

"I'm in law school, I have special feelings. I think I know what a straw man is."

What a bunch of babies. Guess what, you ain't special no more.
Did you create an account to say this? After you posted your grades on FB?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”