PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ladylegale

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby ladylegale » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Love This

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Bronte wrote:Oh I know people. How close does your tar approximate your appearance?

Haha. I wish I looked like the old Lindsay Lohan. She was gorgeous, pre-cocaine/house arrest/kleptomania.

Well as long as it's close and you dig soon-to-be SCOTUS clerks, you've got my number.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:48 pm

I didn't bother adding anyone from law school on my facebook, but I did notice one girl said "I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...largely due to my awesome [school] class rank!!!!"

:roll:

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Like it and comment underneath it "Thanks, Mom! I'm still in shock myself--I never would have thought I'd be amongst the best and brightest of my classmates."

TITCR.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

I don't get why journals shouldn't be posted. It's public information. It's not like grades which remain secret.

I don't get why you can't be bummed about not making it while feeling happy for someone that did.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want people to know that I made it on but I don't want my classmates to think I'm a douche.

The two are mutually exclusive.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bronte wrote:There was an ATL post a few months back about a guy that posted his first semester grades on FB. Literally something like:

Torts: A
Contracts: A
Property: A
Legal Writing: A
Crim: B+

That's probably worse that posting that you go onto law review. But pretty much posting anything on FB about law school sucks.

We had fucktards galore doing this at my school. Giving their exact GPA, the fact that they retained their scholarship (when others obvz hadn't), job offers during 1L oci (the two people who did this even included the weekly $ amount of the position- and they were both around median and had quite obviously received the offer through minority interview programs).

I do not get this mentality. I have friends that did much better than me in law school. A good, good friend of mine got top honors and LR. When he told me, I was genuinely happy for him. I was a little miffed that I partied too much and didn't study enough last year, but how could I ever be upset with him? If someone did well, be happy for them or don't read their FB. I just don't get it. What is it abut seeing others succeed that makes you so pissed? How can you ever make friends with people if you don't want to share in their triumphs?

Posting your transcript on FB is a little much, but if you don't like it, don't read it. Why begrudge others a little happiness? Of course, if they start putting others down or trying to make others feel bad/less, that is too far.

Sensitivity about grades is one of the things that makes it tough to be friends with people in law school. Everyone is uncomfortable sharing what they did well because of people who get pissed. On the other hand, those who did poorly are afraid to reach for fear of being judged.

Seriously 1L is ALL ABOUT GRADES. If you can't share your experiences with the people around you, you're bound to feel lonely/isolated and not make connections. Anyways, that's just my two cents.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00 pm

blowhard wrote:
I don't get why you can't be bummed about not making it while feeling happy for someone that did.

This is my attitude. If someone did well, be happy for them. If they did poorly be there for them. And expect the same in return.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 pm

swc65 wrote:We had fucktards galore doing this at my school. Giving their exact GPA, the fact that they retained their scholarship (when others obvz hadn't), job offers during 1L oci (the two people who did this even included the weekly $ amount of the position- and they were both around median and had quite obviously received the offer through minority interview programs).

I do not get this mentality. I have friends that did much better than me in law school. A good, good friend of mine got top honors and LR. When he told me, I was genuinely happy for him. I was a little miffed that I partied too much and didn't study enough last year, but how could I ever be upset with him? If someone did well, be happy for them or don't read their FB. I just don't get it. What is it abut seeing others succeed that makes you so pissed? How can you ever make friends with people if you don't want to share in their triumphs?

Posting your transcript on FB is a little much, but if you don't like it, don't read it. Why begrudge others a little happiness? Of course, if they start putting others down or trying to make others feel bad/less, that is too far.

Sensitivity about grades is one of the things that makes it tough to be friends with people in law school. Everyone is uncomfortable sharing what they did well because of people who get pissed. On the other hand, those who did poorly are afraid to reach for fear of being judged.

Seriously 1L is ALL ABOUT GRADES. If you can't share your experiences with the people around you, you're bound to feel lonely/isolated and not make connections. Anyways, that's just my two cents.

I agree that people are overly sensitive about law school credentials, etc., to a degree that's just weird. Still, it's inherently insensitive to openly brag about your grades. In general, people worry too much about what other people do, but it's best to try hard to be modest.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:Not because it will make you look unprofessional and douchey, but because I actually will find you and destroy you. I have agents everywhere.

Always. Watching.

I take it you didn't make law review? :wink:

Actually I'm basically on board with this sentiment, but I am definitely a believer that people can post whatever the **** they want when using *their* own social media...

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 pm

swc65 wrote:
blowhard wrote:

This is my attitude. If someone did well, be happy for them. If they did poorly be there for them. And expect the same in return.

+1

Though I admit it is hard for me not to feel jealous about certain things...

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Not because it will make you look unprofessional and douchey, but because I actually will find you and destroy you. I have agents everywhere.

Always. Watching.

Actually I'm basically on board with this sentiment, but I am definitely a believer that people can post whatever the **** they want when using *their* own social media...

Isn't "my social media" kind of an oxymoron?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 pm

swc65 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bronte wrote:There was an ATL post a few months back about a guy that posted his first semester grades on FB. Literally something like:

That's probably worse that posting that you go onto law review. But pretty much posting anything on FB about law school sucks.

We had fucktards galore doing this at my school. Giving their exact GPA, the fact that they retained their scholarship (when others obvz hadn't), job offers during 1L oci (the two people who did this even included the weekly $ amount of the position- and they were both around median and had quite obviously received the offer through minority interview programs).

LOOOOOOOOL. Because grade posts are about anything other than LET ME SHOW YOU HOW AWESOME I AM AND HOW I WON THIS ZERO-SUM GAME type feelings.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 pm

blowhard wrote:I don't get why journals shouldn't be posted. It's public information. It's not like grades which remain secret.

Actually, at the school I'm currently at our Journal/Review results were posted--I think it sucks, but I may have felt differently if I had in fact ended up on Law Review. :lol:

I actually didn't realize that at some schools it is anon.. now the OP makes more sense to me...

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Bronte wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

Always. Watching.

Isn't "my social media" kind of an oxymoron?

Well, yeah in that it is good to be sensitive to others.. But as long as the service terms of use aren't being violated I think there is pretty limited room for objective determinations of what is appropriate for someone else to post.. But I also do get annoyed by certain types of posts on social media (and others prob get annoyed with some of mine I'm sure).

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
blowhard wrote:I don't get why journals shouldn't be posted. It's public information. It's not like grades which remain secret.

Actually, at the school I'm currently at our Journal/Review results were posted--I think it sucks, but I may have felt differently if I had in fact ended up on Law Review. :lol:

I actually didn't realize that at some schools it is anon.. now the OP makes more sense to me...

I think it's anonymous at most schools, or at least most top schools where they're obsessed with obscuring credentials, but it doesn't stay anonymous for long.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:15 pm

swc65 wrote:If someone did well, be happy for them or don't read their FB. I just don't get it. What is it abut seeing others succeed that makes you so pissed? How can you ever make friends with people if you don't want to share in their triumphs?

People who do well should count their blessings and shut the hell up. We are not talking about discussing something with law school friends, discreetly, when someone asks (IF they ask). We are talking about posting it so that everyone will know -- people who do that are not doing it to tell their family or close friends (who they will tell eventually). They are doing it so that everyone at their law school knows. That is why these people are douches. And by the way, it is not seeing others succeed that makes people pissed. It is seeing others succeed and then fail so hard at being a humble/normal/non-douchey human being. Plenty of people are loved for their success, because they don't rub it in other people's faces like jackasses.

But maybe you're right. I suppose on your theory you could also go up to a homeless person and scream "I have a home! I sleep on a bed every night! Be happy for me!" But if he punched you in the face, I would not be surprised.

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Lawquacious wrote:

Always. Watching.

This feels as unpersuasive as when people argue that the First Amendment should prevent us from criticizing the content of others' speech.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
swc65 wrote:If someone did well, be happy for them or don't read their FB. I just don't get it. What is it abut seeing others succeed that makes you so pissed? How can you ever make friends with people if you don't want to share in their triumphs?

People who do well should count their blessings and shut the hell up. We are not talking about discussing something with law school friends, discreetly, when someone asks (IF they ask). We are talking about posting it so that everyone will know -- people who do that are not doing it to tell their family or close friends (who they will tell eventually). They are doing it so that everyone at their law school knows. That is why these people are douches. And by the way, it is not seeing others succeed that makes people pissed. It is seeing others succeed and then fail so hard at being a humble/normal/non-douchey human being. Plenty of people are loved for their success, because they don't rub it in other people's faces like jackasses.

But maybe you're right. I suppose on your theory you could also go up to a homeless person and scream "I have a home! I sleep on a bed every night! Be happy for me!" But if he punched you in the face, I would not be surprised.

A little over dramatic and insecure are we?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 pm

In the context of a significant number of your facebook friends facing crippling debt and dismal employment prospects, it's absolutely inappropriate to gloat. Honestly I am disgusted by anyone who would still defend this. Think about the pre-facebook equivalent: having an LR t-shirt made? Announcing it over and over? Painting "ZOMG 4th CALLBACK!" on your garage? Stop trying to defend being a dick.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I lol'ed.

cortknee

Postby cortknee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Also, can people stop posting their vacation picture, happy moments with significant others, or anything positive at all? I am so sick of people bragging about their lives. I only want to see posts about what you are eating and how much your life sucks.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:19 pm

A'nold wrote:A little over dramatic and insecure are we?

It was overdramatic, but he's right. Humility is a virtue. Don't rub your credentials in others faces, especially knowing that everyone has tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars riding on them.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 pm

A'nold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A little over dramatic and insecure are we?

TBF, i do go up to homeless all the time and scream "i have a home; jealous U MAD??"
Last edited by dood on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 pm

dresden doll wrote:
swc65 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOOOOOOOOL. Because grade posts are about anything other than LET ME SHOW YOU HOW AWESOME I AM AND HOW I WON THIS ZERO-SUM GAME type feelings.

And? I mean why can people not be happy about their success and share it? Because others feel inadequate upon hearing about the success of others? Perhaps it is the people who feel inadequate and get angry that should change their reactions. Isn't better to be happy for others and contemplate how to improve yourself rather than try to silence those who did better so you don't have to be reminded that you didn't do as well? I look up to my friends who are successful and feel glad to be in a position to learn from them rather than be upset and try to guilt/socially punish them into being quiet about their success.

Return to “Legal Employment”