PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't mind at all if someone posts on FB that they got a job offer and are excited about it, especially if its their dream firm. If it were a friend of mine, I would be so happy for them. Sure, if its someone I'm not too fond of, I would go and say he is being a douche by posting. But thats more a reflection of jealousy than a criticism of one posting a dream job offer on FB.

howell

Postby howell » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm

You can totally take the douche out of bragging by turning it into a complaint. Your friends will be totes impressed and want to spend even more time with you.

"I can't believe that Law Review is making me go to an orientation DURING SUMMER! Don't they know that I'll be going on the Summer Associate retreat for my V10 firm to Ibiza that weekend??? Ugh!"

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm

howell wrote:You can totally take the douche out of bragging by turning it into a complaint. Your friends will be totes impressed and want to spend even more time with you.

"I can't believe that Law Review is making me go to an orientation DURING SUMMER! Don't they know that I'll be going on the Summer Associate retreat for my V10 firm to Ibiza that weekend??? Ugh!"

The art of the humblebrag:

E.g. "Wow, I have to be one of the worst bluebookers on the entire Law Review staff. I seriously don't believe the EIC when he says that I'm guaranteed a high-level executive staff position next year. No way."

"I'm surprised that Herb Wachtell even remembers my name after that lackluster memo I handed in last week."

http://twitter.com/#!/humblebrag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Meh. Law school does attracts some really ugly people. I see nothing at all wrong with being publicly happy about LR. It is a significant accomplishment in terms of marketability (but vastly overrated for whatever it may mean about your intellect). Yes, I made LR, before you ask. But I know for fact that if I hadn't, I wouldn't hate on those who announced to the world that they did. I don't operate like that.

howell wrote:You can totally take the douche out of bragging by turning it into a complaint. Your friends will be totes impressed and want to spend even more time with you.

Now that, I agree is douchy in the extreme. I have seen people complain on FB about citechecking for LR and wonder out loud why they ever accepted the invitation -- knowing full well that they would have sold their grandmas to get on. Even offline, I find loud, melodramatic conversations about the rigors of LR well within earshot of everyone else, to be immensely off-putting. It is very obvious that these people merely want others to know of their LR goodness.

Just in general, anything kind of bragging maskerading as a complain is transparently douchy.

But publicly celebrating one's good fortune isn't -- even in a zero sum game. If you didn't make it, well suck it up and move on. I know I would have.

Cool Brees

Postby Cool Brees » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:01 pm

sunynp wrote:wait you guy aren't on google + yet? I could invite people but I only have it in my real name right now and don't want to out myself. Wonder if I could invite myself to a fake account...I'm sure you can get invites without me. Soon FB will be irrelevant. ;)

also tl;dr much more than the title - sorry

also - not sober so this whole post will probably be deleted when I read it in the morning.

I was just thinking the same thing. Google+ has made this thread irrelevant. This thread won't even make sense to class of 2016. If a member of that class saw this thread, he would wonder, "Why didn't these HD's just put law school or non-law review types in their own group? Silly, HD's."

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Cool Brees wrote:
sunynp wrote:wait you guy aren't on google + yet? I could invite people but I only have it in my real name right now and don't want to out myself. Wonder if I could invite myself to a fake account...I'm sure you can get invites without me. Soon FB will be irrelevant. ;)

also - not sober so this whole post will probably be deleted when I read it in the morning.

I was just thinking the same thing. Google+ has made this thread irrelevant. This thread won't even make sense to class of 2016. If a member of that class saw this thread, he would wonder, "Why didn't these HD's just put law school or non-law review types in their own group? Silly, HD's."

You do realize you're responding to a month-old post, right? Google+ existed for like two weeks when he wrote that.

Cool Brees

Postby Cool Brees » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:21 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Cool Brees wrote:

You do realize you're responding to a month-old post, right? Google+ existed for like two weeks when he wrote that.

You do realize my point still stands right? Yes, this thread was relevant a month ago, but it won't be 2 years from now.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Cool Brees wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Cool Brees wrote:

You do realize my point still stands right? Yes, this thread was relevant a month ago, but it won't be 2 years from now.

(1) I don't get your point.

(2) LOL at facebook suddenly disappearing because google offers a similar product.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:41 pm

the fuck is google+?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:the fuck is google+?

Cool Brees

Postby Cool Brees » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:49 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Cool Brees wrote:You do realize my point still stands right? Yes, this thread was relevant a month ago, but it won't be 2 years from now.

(1) I don't get your point.

(2) LOL at facebook suddenly disappearing because google offers a similar product.

(1) I can't make it any clearer than "this thread was relevant a month ago, but it won't be 2 years from now."

(2) 2 years is a date that I just threw out there. But, I think Google's product has some interesting concepts that could eventually lead to Facebook becoming less popular. No, it won't "suddenly disappear", but I did say 2 years not tomorrow night. I mean do you really think it is impossible for one similar product to become more popular than another?

--ImageRemoved-- Myspace likes this

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:57 am

dude you got way too excited about Google+, it's not a big deal, just let it go

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

seatown12 wrote:dude you got way too excited about Google+, it's not a big deal, just let it go

Return to “Legal Employment”