PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm

A'nold wrote:Yeah I definitely wasn't trying to make those argument IAFG. I am just using LSAT scores and schools as an example of where not everyone can get 99%ile and go to a t14. That doesn't mean lower scorers should be jealous or think badly of those that talk about scoring that highly and attend the most prestigious schools. Conversely, those at the bottom 50% of the class are akin to those that necessarily score sub 95 percentile on the LSAT and in both situations it is cruel and uncalled for to ridicule them.


The distinction is that your friend group when you're applying to LS is largely not going to consist of other people trying to get into LS. Obviously will depend on the person, and some people probably knew a lot more people applying to LS than I did, but if that's the case, you're probably back to a situation where you really shouldn't post anything about your school until you're attending and just updating your network, which no one can fault you for.

Also, on a separate note, I don't know what everyone else's schools are like, but at my school it would have been impossible not to be friends on FB with LS people. Probably a third of the class perfunctorily sent out friend requests to me in the first week, and I got about two a month after that. Declining these would have been a worse faux pas than posting LR.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:The hell with Facebook! Why don't you turn it up a notch and create a website to help mold the future slaves and bitches of America (i.e., lawyers), and then turn around and use that platform to boast about how much money you've got coming out yo ass as a result of being a glorified Remax ballooner.

Ken wrote:I am definitely proud of my accomplishments and I woudl not have achieved these heights of success without my legal education. Young, white and famous, I got money coming out of my ... 8)


viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159407#p4564291

O.k., this seriously just made me lol.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:The hell with Facebook! Why don't you turn it up a notch and create a website to help mold the future slaves and bitches of America (i.e., lawyers), and then turn around and use that platform to boast about how much money you've got coming out yo ass as a result of being a glorified Remax ballooner.

Ken wrote:I am definitely proud of my accomplishments and I woudl not have achieved these heights of success without my legal education. Young, white and famous, I got money coming out of my ... 8)


http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p4564291


Lol, we might have a little beef, but gotta give you props for this one.

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Your name will be posted on the "new members of LR" sheets all over the school. That's not enough publicity?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Bronte wrote:
A'nold wrote:Yeah I definitely wasn't trying to make those argument IAFG. I am just using LSAT scores and schools as an example of where not everyone can get 99%ile and go to a t14. That doesn't mean lower scorers should be jealous or think badly of those that talk about scoring that highly and attend the most prestigious schools. Conversely, those at the bottom 50% of the class are akin to those that necessarily score sub 95 percentile on the LSAT and in both situations it is cruel and uncalled for to ridicule them.


The distinction is that your friend group when you're applying to LS is largely not going to consist of other people trying to get into LS. Obviously will depend on the person, and some people probably knew a lot more people applying to LS than I did, but if that's the case, you're probably back to a situation where you really shouldn't post anything about your school until you're attending and just updating your network, which no one can fault you for.

Also, on a separate note, I don't know what everyone else's schools are like, but at my school it would have been impossible not to be friends on FB with LS people. Probably a third of the class perfunctorily sent out friend requests to me in the first week, and I got about two a month after that. Declining these would have been a worse faux pas than posting LR.

Obviously I am not making the point I was trying to put forward b/c you are the second poster to think that this is what I was trying to say, haha.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 pm

A'nold wrote:Not trying to split hairs here but I didn't say you are cocky about your pre-law stats. I said that you SHOULD be proud. You achieved something great.


I frankly don't think that a 4.0 in easy lib arts majors and a high LSAT score are anything much to be cocky about. This is why my commentary on TTTs is really just a commentary on TTTs rather than people looking into them (unless they insist on being irrational and defensive, which is what happens when they're basically looking for validation rather than advice). And IIRC, my chief issue with your comments in those threads has most to do with the fact that you seem to think it's okay to take a gamble as long as you're willing to work hard. Your hard work paid off enough for you to land decent class rank - great, but it's statistically impossible for that to be the case with everyone and you shouldn't make them think they're going to do as well as you did as long as they share some sort of a hardworking mentality. All of your classmates worked hard, and most didn't do as well as yourself (which is incidentally precisely why you should refrain from posting about grades on FB).

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 pm

A'nold wrote:Obviously I am not making the point I was trying to put forward b/c you are the second poster to think that this is what I was trying to say, haha.


Oh I see your point now, my bad. I don't condone giving people shit for being at lesser schools or having lower grades. There's exceptions though. I don't see it that much on here except where there's some sort of direct flame war going on or the poster is a notorious poster or both.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 pm

dresden doll wrote:
A'nold wrote:Not trying to split hairs here but I didn't say you are cocky about your pre-law stats. I said that you SHOULD be proud. You achieved something great.


I frankly don't think that a 4.0 in easy lib arts majors and a high LSAT score are anything much to be cocky about. This is why my commentary on TTTs is really just a commentary on TTTs rather than people looking into them (unless they insist on being irrational and defensive, which is what happens when they're basically looking for validation rather than advice). And IIRC, my chief issue with your comments in those threads has most to do with the fact that you seem to think it's okay to take a gamble as long as you're willing to work hard. Your hard work paid off enough for you to land decent class rank - great, but it's statistically impossible for that to be the case with everyone and you shouldn't make them think they're going to do as well as you did as long as they share some sort of a hardworking mentality. All of your classmates worked hard, and most didn't do as well as yourself (which is incidentally precisely why you should refrain from posting about grades on FB).

I definitely don't think you can "work your way" to top grades. I just don't think it is all arbitrary and luck. Regardless, we have all said and done things in the past that we would not condone today. I have no problem if this is your stance. Your comments can be pretty dang sarcastic and biting though. I will put my TLS reputation (it's all a man really has you know) on the line and promise you that I've actually had multiple pm discussions trying to make somebody feel better that you (even if partly unintentionally) made to feel like crap about their options. The range of reasons for certain law school choices are as numerous and endless as anything else in society and blanket demeaning statements to posters just looking for advice on their options can have a real affect on a person's self esteem. That same poster might have been one of the most outstanding, caring, and self-sacrificing PD's to ever practice in this country but b/c of this website choose to forgo law school out of a mistaken belief that the posters talking down to them truly know their situation and that their situation is hopeless. A little dramatic? Maybe. But I know first hand what it feels like to be ridiculed on this site b/c of my LSAT score and my law school. It is not a great feeling and you'd be surprised just how much your words can hurt the people on the other end of the computer.

lalala21
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby lalala21 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 pm

A'nold wrote:
I definitely don't think you can "work your way" to top grades. I just don't think it is all arbitrary and luck. Regardless, we have all said and done things in the past that we would not condone today. I have no problem if this is your stance. Your comments can be pretty dang sarcastic and biting though. I will put my TLS reputation (it's all a man really has you know) on the line and promise you that I've actually had multiple pm discussions trying to make somebody feel better that you (even if partly unintentionally) made to feel like crap about their options. The range of reasons for certain law school choices are as numerous and endless as anything else in society and blanket demeaning statements to posters just looking for advice on their options can have a real affect on a person's self esteem. That same poster might have been one of the most outstanding, caring, and self-sacrificing PD's to ever practice in this country but b/c of this website choose to forgo law school out of a mistaken belief that the posters talking down to them truly know their situation and that their situation is hopeless. A little dramatic? Maybe. But I know first hand what it feels like to be ridiculed on this site b/c of my LSAT score and my law school. It is not a great feeling and you'd be surprised just how much your words can hurt the people on the other end of the computer.




+1

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm

I leave this thread for ONE DAY, and you people law student all over it?

TLS, while having a seizure, wrote:BUT WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?>???????????????????????????????\


dresden doll wrote:Will you please stop derping?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

lalala21 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
I definitely don't think you can "work your way" to top grades. I just don't think it is all arbitrary and luck. Regardless, we have all said and done things in the past that we would not condone today. I have no problem if this is your stance. Your comments can be pretty dang sarcastic and biting though. I will put my TLS reputation (it's all a man really has you know) on the line and promise you that I've actually had multiple pm discussions trying to make somebody feel better that you (even if partly unintentionally) made to feel like crap about their options. The range of reasons for certain law school choices are as numerous and endless as anything else in society and blanket demeaning statements to posters just looking for advice on their options can have a real affect on a person's self esteem. That same poster might have been one of the most outstanding, caring, and self-sacrificing PD's to ever practice in this country but b/c of this website choose to forgo law school out of a mistaken belief that the posters talking down to them truly know their situation and that their situation is hopeless. A little dramatic? Maybe. But I know first hand what it feels like to be ridiculed on this site b/c of my LSAT score and my law school. It is not a great feeling and you'd be surprised just how much your words can hurt the people on the other end of the computer.


+1


I'll also reluctantly give this a +1. While I find the A'nold-style optimism a touch on the nauseating side, I think it's better than being an asshole. TLS is great, but some posters definitely breach the line (sorry thesealocust*) of ethics with their harshness on the boards. (Not commenting on Dresden in particular, have no knowledge of her on-topic posting habits or beef with her whatsoever.) Obviously, posting on TLS is automatically consenting to being fucked with a little bit, but sometimes posters take it too far when naive newbs get their lives shat on.

Edit: *This was a response to:

TLS, while having a seizure, wrote:BUT WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?>???????????????????????????????\


Not a call out for breaching the line.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:42 pm

thesealocust wrote:I leave this thread for ONE DAY, and you people law student all over it?

I think that's the first time I've seen "law student" used as a verb. Well done.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 pm

A'nold wrote:I definitely don't think you can "work your way" to top grades. I just don't think it is all arbitrary and luck. Regardless, we have all said and done things in the past that we would not condone today. I have no problem if this is your stance. Your comments can be pretty dang sarcastic and biting though. I will put my TLS reputation (it's all a man really has you know) on the line and promise you that I've actually had multiple pm discussions trying to make somebody feel better that you (even if partly unintentionally) made to feel like crap about their options. The range of reasons for certain law school choices are as numerous and endless as anything else in society and blanket demeaning statements to posters just looking for advice on their options can have a real affect on a person's self esteem. That same poster might have been one of the most outstanding, caring, and self-sacrificing PD's to ever practice in this country but b/c of this website choose to forgo law school out of a mistaken belief that the posters talking down to them truly know their situation and that their situation is hopeless. A little dramatic? Maybe. But I know first hand what it feels like to be ridiculed on this site b/c of my LSAT score and my law school. It is not a great feeling and you'd be surprised just how much your words can hurt the people on the other end of the computer.


I think I'm pretty realistic in judging school choices presented so I doubt, at the very least, that I failed to provide sensible advice based off of information whoever you're referring to provided. I won't speak to the manner in which I gave that advice because I have no idea what specifically you're talking about.

It's impossible to judge whether or not those who quit LS plans would have done amazingly had they persisted. Perhaps that person would have become a great PD; perhaps he'd have failed miserably and did himself a huge favor by quitting. Whatever the case, LS is a plan one can generally always return to so if you indeed think that the legal profession lost out by his quitting, it's hardly too late to attempt to convince him to resume applying.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:17 am

f7 wrote:How did this become a thread about A'nold's long term butthurt over a +1'd TTT comment?


General direction that most megathreads go.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby A'nold » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:19 am

f7 wrote:How did this become a thread about A'nold's long term butthurt over a +1'd TTT comment?

Did you expect anything less? :wink:

Haha, I really didn't mean to bring that thread up to talk about me, even if it looks that way.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby A'nold » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 am

Bronte wrote:
lalala21 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
I definitely don't think you can "work your way" to top grades. I just don't think it is all arbitrary and luck. Regardless, we have all said and done things in the past that we would not condone today. I have no problem if this is your stance. Your comments can be pretty dang sarcastic and biting though. I will put my TLS reputation (it's all a man really has you know) on the line and promise you that I've actually had multiple pm discussions trying to make somebody feel better that you (even if partly unintentionally) made to feel like crap about their options. The range of reasons for certain law school choices are as numerous and endless as anything else in society and blanket demeaning statements to posters just looking for advice on their options can have a real affect on a person's self esteem. That same poster might have been one of the most outstanding, caring, and self-sacrificing PD's to ever practice in this country but b/c of this website choose to forgo law school out of a mistaken belief that the posters talking down to them truly know their situation and that their situation is hopeless. A little dramatic? Maybe. But I know first hand what it feels like to be ridiculed on this site b/c of my LSAT score and my law school. It is not a great feeling and you'd be surprised just how much your words can hurt the people on the other end of the computer.


+1


I'll also reluctantly give this a +1. While I find the A'nold-style optimism a touch on the nauseating side, I think it's better than being an asshole. TLS is great, but some posters definitely breach the line (sorry thesealocust*) of ethics with their harshness on the boards. (Not commenting on Dresden in particular, have no knowledge of her on-topic posting habits or beef with her whatsoever.) Obviously, posting on TLS is automatically consenting to being fucked with a little bit, but sometimes posters take it too far when naive newbs get their lives shat on.

Edit: *This was a response to:

TLS, while having a seizure, wrote:BUT WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?>???????????????????????????????\


Not a call out for breaching the line.

A few more things:

1. I am no saint. I wish I were more optimistic. I mean, I am TLS's official "flame caller" whenever a new poster posts something I suspect is bs. I am also trying to bring increased optimism (educated optimism; not blind) into my prosecution career. Prosecutors have a greater ability to help those in need of a second chance even more than PD's do.

2. Law student as a verb is the greatest thing to hit TLS this year. I am not surprised it came from my TLS friend thesealocust. 8)

3. You guys should watch episode 3 of the San Diego Law and Order show on Hulu. You won't be disappointed.

CaseClosed
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:20 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby CaseClosed » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 am

cortknee wrote:Also, can people stop posting their vacation picture, happy moments with significant others, or anything positive at all? I am so sick of people bragging about their lives. I only want to see posts about what you are eating and how much your life sucks.


lol

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:48 am

wait you guy aren't on google + yet? I could invite people but I only have it in my real name right now and don't want to out myself. Wonder if I could invite myself to a fake account...I'm sure you can get invites without me. Soon FB will be irrelevant. ;)

also tl;dr much more than the title - sorry

also - not sober so this whole post will probably be deleted when I read it in the morning.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby goodolgil » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 am

sunynp wrote:wait you guy aren't on google + yet? I could invite people but I only have it in my real name right now and don't want to out myself. Wonder if I could invite myself to a fake account...I'm sure you can get invites without me. Soon FB will be irrelevant. ;)

also tl;dr much more than the title - sorry

also - not sober so this whole post will probably be deleted when I read it in the morning.


I already have my "people with good grades" and "people on law review" circles set up so I can brag without offending anyone.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:40 am

I feel like A'nold is slowly coming unhinged in this thread.

I think it's pretty douchey to post LR or grade comments on facebook. It's about on the level of actually asking someone for their grades in terms of douchiness, for me. Some people might not care, but in general it's not a great move. I actually like it when people post their jobs for the summer because I think it's kind of cool to see where classmates are working. I have my job on there, although it's not like anyone else actually covets my job so I'm pretty sure it's inoffensive.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:51 pm

CaseClosed wrote:
cortknee wrote:Also, can people stop posting their vacation picture, happy moments with significant others, or anything positive at all? I am so sick of people bragging about their lives. I only want to see posts about what you are eating and how much your life sucks.


lol


Yeah, what a funny, totally apposite joke.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273460
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:19 am

a pal of mine updated his FB status

amazing news: I have just been offered a permanent position by my dream firm, xxxx (vault 100, RS), in my dream city (SF).


I am booking a trip to *** ( an european city) to celebrate! before I go back to school this fall.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Moxie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:a pal of mine updated his FB status

amazing news: I have just been offered a permanent position by my dream firm, xxxx (vault 100, RS), in my dream city (SF).


I am booking a trip to *** ( an european city) to celebrate! before I go back to school this fall.


That's not exceptionally douchey because at least job offers aren't a direct competition like LR is.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Unitas » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:a pal of mine updated his FB status

amazing news: I have just been offered a permanent position by my dream firm, xxxx (vault 100, RS), in my dream city (SF).


I am booking a trip to *** ( an european city) to celebrate! before I go back to school this fall.


How is this bad at all? It just appears you are not a pal of this guy/girl.... Be happy for people and he now has a career there. Did you not think he would tell anyone? Shame on him for letting his "friends" know.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:19 pm

Moxie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:a pal of mine updated his FB status

amazing news: I have just been offered a permanent position by my dream firm, xxxx (vault 100, RS), in my dream city (SF).


I am booking a trip to *** ( an european city) to celebrate! before I go back to school this fall.


That's not exceptionally douchey because at least job offers aren't a direct competition like LR is.


Yeah, I kind of agree here. Probably something I would never post, but this isn't like bragging about Law Review, callbacks, or summer-associate offers.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.