PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theantiscalia

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Random question: at what point is it socially appropriate to list your summer internship? When you start? When you get an offer? When you return post law school? NEVER?

I'm going to go with never. If you're listing internships on FB, I don't think you're using FB right. Try LinkedIn.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Random question: at what point is it socially appropriate to list your summer internship? When you start? When you get an offer? When you return post law school? NEVER?

I don't have a LinkedIn profile, although someone just invited me today, but I figure you can go all out posting your credentials on there; that's what it's for. Until you actually work full time (as in year round) at a firm, it's probably best to leave it off Facebook. It's a social site.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:39 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

Delete it, explain to them the sensitivities of the situation, and move on?

This is ridiculous. If someone is offended by a person's family member congratulating him on an accomplishment, then that person seriously needs to grow a MUCH thicker skin if he is going to survive in this profession.

Yeah, on further reflection, you're probably right. Or at least I'm probably wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if I get a family member to post "CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING LAW REVIEW" on my facebook wall? Serious about this by the way

This is ridiculous. If someone is offended by a person's family member congratulating him on an accomplishment, then that person seriously needs to grow a MUCH thicker skin if he is going to survive in this profession.

To clarify, my family member hasn't congratulated me on law review yet, but since I thought it was too tacky to post something myself about law review, I was going to ask them to congratulate me on my wall so people can know that I made it. I'm assuming this is fine then provided that people don't find out that it was actually me who asked them to post?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:43 pm

This was answered appropriately numerous times above.
Last edited by bdubs on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

To clarify, my family member hasn't congratulated me on law review yet, but since I thought it was too tacky to post something myself about law review, I was going to ask them to congratulate me on my wall so people can know that I made it. I'm assuming this is fine then provided that people don't find out that it was actually me who asked them to post?
Ruh roh

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To clarify, my family member hasn't congratulated me on law review yet, but since I thought it was too tacky to post something myself about law review, I was going to ask them to congratulate me on my wall so people can know that I made it. I'm assuming this is fine then provided that people don't find out that it was actually me who asked them to post?

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:Yeah, on further reflection, you're probably right. Or at least I'm probably wrong.

Maybe, but I would be embarrassed as hell if my mom congratulated me on LR on FB. Then again, I'd rather my mom didn't post anything on my wall. (Fortunately, she doesn't have FB... as far as I know. I only check the thing about three times a year.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 pm

theantiscalia wrote:

I'm going to go with never. If you're listing internships on FB, I don't think you're using FB right. Try LinkedIn.

TBF, if you return post law school it's no longer an internship. Still, point taken.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:

TBF, if you return post law school it's no longer an internship. Still, point taken.

You can put your longterm employer on FB. Let's not go too far here.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Bronte wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Yeah, on further reflection, you're probably right. Or at least I'm probably wrong.

Maybe, but I would be embarrassed as hell if my mom congratulated me on LR on FB. Then again, I'd rather my mom didn't post anything on my wall. (Fortunately, she doesn't have FB... as far as I know. I only check the thing about three times a year.)

Right. I conflated how I would feel + what I would do with "what somebody should do." Of course given the further response, the correct answer is DESTROY ALL HUMANS, but still.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Right. I conflated how I would feel + what I would do with "what somebody should do." Of course given the further response, the correct answer is DESTROY ALL HUMANS, but still.

Yeah the entire concept of law school is kind of a human fail, but we sure play the game anyway. Sigh.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

I think there are a few times in life when it's justified to be a total douche and post your accomplishments on FB - for example, I don't even have Facebook, but if I *ever* become a Scotus clerk, I will open an account just so I can send out an announcement to everyone I've ever met in life.

And to the poster requesting that his family congratulate him - yes, it's perfectly acceptable so long as no one knows you asked for the kudos in advance. :D

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:52 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I think there are a few times in life when it's justified to be a total douche and post your accomplishments on FB - for example, I don't even have Facebook, but if I *ever* become a Scotus clerk, I will open an account just so I can send out an announcement to everyone I've ever met in life.

And to the poster requesting that his family congratulate him - yes, it's perfectly acceptable so long as no one knows you asked for the kudos in advance. :D

. . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To clarify, my family member hasn't congratulated me on law review yet, but since I thought it was too tacky to post something myself about law review, I was going to ask them to congratulate me on my wall so people can know that I made it. I'm assuming this is fine then provided that people don't find out that it was actually me who asked them to post?

Don't kid yourself. You'd be trying to get as many people to find out as possible if you made law review too.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:I think there are a few times in life when it's justified to be a total douche and post your accomplishments on FB - for example, I don't even have Facebook, but if I *ever* become a Scotus clerk, I will open an account just so I can send out an announcement to everyone I've ever met in life.

. . .

Puke damage can really screw up a keyboard man. Although there's that keyboard thread, so I guess it's a good time to buy.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Bronte wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

. . .

Puke damage can really screw up a keyboard man. Although there's that keyboard thread, so I guess it's a good time to buy.

The keyboard thread will never be enough to restart my heart. Is there a "praying for the death of yourself and all other humans" thread? I would like that thread.
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 pm

thesealocust wrote:The keyboard thread will never be enough to restart my heart. Is there a "praying for the dead of yourself and all other humans" thread? I would like that thread.

Doesn't that kind of describe the lounge as a whole?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Haha. Fear not, people. I will *never* become a Scotus clerk. This is just one of those certainties in life.

Edit: Also, people need to learn not to take me seriously after, oh, I don't know....5pm EST?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Haha. Fear not, people. I will *never* become a Scotus clerk. This is just one of those certainties in life.

Edit: Also, people need to learn not to take me seriously after, oh, I don't know....5pm EST?

Oh I'm SCOTUS-secure so I took you quite literally. Does this mean you're going to comp thesealocust for his keyboard?

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:01 pm

My roommate and I had the misfortune of sitting down at a table with a social inept idiot at a law school social. All he wanted to talk about was about how he managed to make the dean's list without any studying at all, and how "you would have to be retarded" not to make the list. He also remarked on how he would be so embarrassed to not have his name on the Dean's list because its like a big sign on the wall outing you for being a retard. His date, who, apparently unbeknownst to the guy, was soundly median, was also uncomfortably squirming in her seat, obviously embarrassed by association.

As a side note I don't think he got any action that night.

So my roommate and I, who both barely missed Dean's list by a hair, were on the verge of slapping this guy. He was so socially inept he didn't catch our painfully obvious death glares. When the guy went up to go to the bathroom, we put about 8 tablespoons a salt and a large dallop of tobasco sauce in his microbrew, his date (who by this point was probably not his date) even joined in with some pepper as well. After he came back he took a couple sips of his beer, had a quick look of shock on his face, put it down and went to get a new beer. He obviously couldn't take a hint because he came back to the same table to drink his new beer (which was draft, maybe he was over microbrews lol). After about 5 minutes of us ignoring him he leans over the table and goes, did u guys do something to my beer??? My roommate says, yes but your lucky it's not poison, and stomped off. I think he really was about to hit the guy. Me, because I'm such a nice guy, patiently explained to this social inept where he went wrong during the conversation, and why you shouldn't remark that non-Dean listers are "Retards" to law students who are total strangers to you, becuase, geee there is a say 75% chance they didn't make the cut.

And yes. My roommate and I did feel a little (emphasis on little) bad afterwards because the guy was apparently so oblivious he really had no idea he was being a douche. People like that never cease to amaze me tho.....

edit: Sorry, lol, I had totally forgotten about this experience until I read this thread, so I thought I should document it once and for all.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Bronte wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Haha. Fear not, people. I will *never* become a Scotus clerk. This is just one of those certainties in life.

Oh I'm SCOTUS-secure so I took you quite literally. Does this mean you're going to comp thesealocust for his keyboard?

Quite possibly. Although if you're SCOTUS-secure, you're exactly the type of person I'd want to befriend, not because I actually like you, but because of who you will potentially become and/or know one day in the future....

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Quite possibly. Although if you're SCOTUS-secure, you're exactly the type of person I'd want to befriend, not because I actually like you, but because of who you will potentially become and/or know one day in the future....

Oh I know people. How close does your tar approximate your appearance?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Bronte wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Oh I know people. How close does your tar approximate your appearance?

Haha. I wish I looked like the old Lindsay Lohan. She was gorgeous, pre-cocaine/house arrest/kleptomania.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bronte wrote:There was an ATL post a few months back about a guy that posted his first semester grades on FB. Literally something like:

Torts: A
Contracts: A
Property: A
Legal Writing: A
Crim: B+

That's probably worse that posting that you go onto law review. But pretty much posting anything on FB about law school sucks.

We had fucktards galore doing this at my school. Giving their exact GPA, the fact that they retained their scholarship (when others obvz hadn't), job offers during 1L oci (the two people who did this even included the weekly $ amount of the position- and they were both around median and had quite obviously received the offer through minority interview programs).

I was on the same page until you wrote this. Now I kind of think you're a douche.

Return to “Legal Employment”