PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:41 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:But what if the person in question married the object of herpderp's desire?!?!


hmmmm......On second reflection, I think you may be right.

Wow, turns out there really is no difference between posting about an engagement and posting about making law review / getting great grades.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Rinkrat, the new corsair?

Isn't Corsair the one who had trouble getting a job at NU? And posting to facebook is what doomed him? Yikes, good to know.

Hey, I freely admit I haven't been there yet. If I'm lucky enough to get LR and good grades, I promise I'll do my best to not make my classmates feel like shit.

If only my engaged friends would do the same for me. (I still argue that there are some emotional parallels, if not the same potential for lifelong financial ruin.)

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:50 pm

A'nold wrote:
Bronte wrote:
A'nold wrote:I can see how posting "OMGZ I am in the top 5%! $$$$$$!!!!!!!" would be way over the top. But someone posting, "Ahhh! Oh my gosh, I just made LR. I could die I'm so excited!" or something like that would not bother me in the least. People should wholeheartedly congratulate that person, especially if they are a nice person otherwise. It is sincere and a very exciting moment in her life and she deserves congrats, not jealous, bitter resentment.


I think IRL people do simply congratulate the person. For the most part, angry posters on TLS are puppies in real life. However, part of the purpose of anonymous forums like this one is for people to vent their frustration in a way that they can't in public life. Overall, it's better not to post "OMG I just [achieved something that makes it much more likely that I'll pay off my debt than you]" on a public forum. If I saw it, I wouldn't give a damn. But people are just venting.

It pisses me off that even my wife can't post about an award I just got or something like that b/c oh noes! someone at my school might see it! :shock: Someone I like could post a brag online and it wouldn't bother me and someone that I despise for prior arrogant douchiness could post something passively and it would get under my skin. I really think it should depend on the person. Just drop your own insecure jealousies and be happy for the nice guy/girl who worked his/her butt off and is succeeding. So what if you also worked your butt off. I think the real douches are the ones that would be offended by someone like Opera Soprano posting on FB that she made law review b/c they are not living up to their own dreams/expectations.


I missed this somehow, but should state for the record that I did not make law review (nor post same), though I am otherwise sans regrets about my experiences in LS. As for being angry or jealous if I did read that someone had, I think that I would look to their motives in posting about it. There are indeed people at my school who would brag just to brag, but they are known for this kind of behavior before they even get near FB. If someone I cared about posted something that came across as insensitive, I'd message the person to give them a heads up about it. What we would term douchiness can just be the product of excitement, and I wouldn't condemn anyone for that, but I would alert the person about how others might view their enthusiasm. It's a matter of being considerate, as, since others have pointed out, this is a zero sum game.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Rinkrat, the new corsair?

Isn't Corsair the one who had trouble getting a job at NU? And posting to facebook is what doomed him? Yikes, good to know.

Hey, I freely admit I haven't been there yet. If I'm lucky enough to get LR and good grades, I promise I'll do my best to not make my classmates feel like shit.

If only my engaged friends would do the same for me. (I still argue that there are some emotional parallels, if not the same potential for lifelong financial ruin.)


He posted his grades on TLS and pissed people off.

Don't be a retard. Getting engaged isn't even nearly the same.

PS I can hook you up with some 2L's who are just as socially awkward as you are if you want.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
But what if the person in question married the object of herpderp's desire?!?!


I laughed hard.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Rinkrat, the new corsair?

If only my engaged friends would do the same for me. (I still argue that there are some emotional parallels, if not the same potential for lifelong financial ruin.)


Whether there are parallels or not is completely besides the point. The point, and the ONLY point, is that it's socially acceptable to tell people about your engagement, but not socially acceptable to tell people your grades. Why? Who knows? It's totally socially acceptable to talk about your expensive vacation to Europe, but not acceptable to post about the huge bonus you used to pay for it. That's just how social norms work.

Also: I approve of the use of herpderp.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:55 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)


u jelly?

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Rinkrat, the new corsair?

If only my engaged friends would do the same for me. (I still argue that there are some emotional parallels, if not the same potential for lifelong financial ruin.)


Whether there are parallels or not is completely besides the point. The point, and the ONLY point, is that it's socially acceptable to tell people about your engagement, but not socially acceptable to tell people your grades. Why? Who knows? It's totally socially acceptable to talk about your expensive vacation to Europe, but not acceptable to post about the huge bonus you used to pay for it. That's just how social norms work.

Also: I approve of the use of herpderp.


Some kid at my school bragged about this expensive trip he took to [Europe.] He had taken several other expensive trips. It was clear his parents were paying. Fine, fine.

But the source of hilarity? He apparently owed a lot of money to [creditor.] Creditor was facebook friends with this kid. Apparently, kid had told creditor that he was a little hard up and would pay him sometime soon.

Hilarity ensued.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)

True. Like hand shots of giant diamond. Prolly skip that.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)

True. Like hand shots of giant diamond. Prolly skip that.


All I ever see is hand shots of tiny shit diamonds.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:59 pm

rayiner wrote:
Also: I approve of the use of herpderp.


I freaking love that word. It's a verb now too which excites me in particular.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 pm

dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Also: I approve of the use of herpderp.


I freaking love that word. It's a verb now too which excites me in particular.


George Carlin wrote:[. . .] As almost every word in a sentence: F uck the f ucking f uckers.


Slightly modify:

Herpderp the herpderping herpderpers.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)


u jelly?


I am thrilled for my close friends who are getting married, and happy on my own account. I maintain that things like diamond hand shots, as IAFG mentioned, are tacky. These are details you should share with your friends and family IRL. An engagement announcement is just fine, and if I were getting engaged, I am sure I'd say as much on FB.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:27 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Also: I approve of the use of herpderp.


I freaking love that word. It's a verb now too which excites me in particular.


George Carlin wrote:[. . .] As almost every word in a sentence: F uck the f ucking f uckers.


Slightly modify:

Herpderp the herpderping herpderpers.


I know! Oh, the joy.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:32 pm

f7 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)

True. Like hand shots of giant diamond. Prolly skip that.

This girl at CLS would scroll through facebook photos of giant diamond shots while wearing said giant diamond in class.


I hope she sat in the first row too and had a giant screen.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 pm

f7 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)

True. Like hand shots of giant diamond. Prolly skip that.

This girl at CLS would scroll through facebook photos of giant diamond shots while wearing said giant diamond in class.

Looking pics of an inanimate object while that inanimate object is in the room?! Really?!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:34 pm

f7 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I will say that posting and posting and posting about engagement stuff can be tacky in its own right. Make the anouncement, sure, but the details are better handled offline (or amongst your close friends and family members.)

True. Like hand shots of giant diamond. Prolly skip that.

This girl at CLS would scroll through facebook photos of giant diamond shots while wearing said giant diamond in class.

Yeah she should have gotten an engagement ring tattoo instead. How gauche!

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Are you serious? Um, maybe we have over a hundred family members and friends in common and my wife *gasp* likes to, you know, express how proud she is of her spouse to all of our friends and family? Your response completely came out of left field for me man..... :?


Maybe I'm just an old fogey about it but I find all the announcing of everything over fb.com to be extremely tacky (in a similar vein to bumper stickers saying your kid is on the honor roll). I just don't get the need for everybody in the world to know everything. If I'm proud of my SO or my friend about something, I tell them I don't tell the world. If they want the world to know then that's their decision, not mine. I basically just don't get fb.com. Why do people need or even want all their communications with other people to be public?

But I'm an outlier. Most people enjoy posting stupid tacky crap all over fb.com and tweeting inane shit that the world could not give two fucks about.

Dude, would you have a problem with her calling up my in-laws and telling them? She just uses facebook instead of calling 10 individuals......why is that so weird?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby paratactical » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 pm

A'nold wrote:Dude, would you have a problem with her calling up my in-laws and telling them? She just uses facebook instead of calling 10 individuals......why is that so weird?

Isn't this what the group feature is for?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:58 pm

A'nold wrote:Dude, would you have a problem with her calling up my in-laws and telling them? She just uses facebook instead of calling 10 individuals......why is that so weird?


Because using Facebook is akin to being on a bus with the rest of your classmates (assuming you friended them on fb) and making that same call.

I personally don't really care (especially because my fb use is minimal). People brag and do tacky shit all the time all over fb.com and the real world. It doesn't mean that people can't also point out how it is in poor form.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:01 pm

A'nold wrote:Dude, would you have a problem with her calling up my in-laws and telling them? She just uses facebook instead of calling 10 individuals......why is that so weird?


Oh god no, not the telephone or even sending out an e-mail and having to write TEN DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESSES IN THE "TO" BAR. LORD HAVE MERCY.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
A'nold wrote:Dude, would you have a problem with her calling up my in-laws and telling them? She just uses facebook instead of calling 10 individuals......why is that so weird?


Oh god no, not the telephone or even sending out an e-mail and having to write TEN DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESSES IN THE "TO" BAR. LORD HAVE MERCY.

or, you know, only bragging/gloating to people you talk to regularly.

honestly if i made LR i wouldn't tell any of my extended family. they wouldn't get it right away and explaining what it is would just sound pathetic and sad to them. "so it's a student-run publication... that you're going to be... editing punctuation for?"

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Rurik wrote:
swc65 wrote:Great argument technique. Calling people names and writing "eff-you" really drives the point home and makes people respect your opinions. Your anonymous post (while revealing no personal information that needs to be hidden) does not come across as vile and filled with hatred at all. :roll:


I apologize. I just get very aggravated with how socially inept and oblivious some people are. Then again, if somebody still hasn't grasped why they shouldn't do stuff like posting about law review offers on Facebook, they are far too gone to talk common sense into. So my rant probably is wasted.

Guy, I am about the least socially oblivious person you could ever meet. I can spot socially oblivious people a mile away. Trust me, with your comment just now I can tell that you are an overly sensitive, overly PC person that has his/her own social problems to deal with.

The sad thing about this thread is that it shows me how people really think about accomplishments, etc. I want to share with people and help them. I am the first person to congratulate somebody up and down for even the tiniest personal accomplishments. That most of you take the cynical view that these people are just rubbing your nose in their success goes to show what you would want to do in the same situation. Either that or many of you have SERIOUS inferiority complexes about your ls performances thus far. Most of these bragging bastards that you talk about are probably decent human beings and you guys have built up this bitter, jealous castle in your heads where everyone is looking down on you. Might be time to breathe and take in some perspective.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: PSA: don't brag about law review or job shit on facebook

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:06 pm

A'nold wrote:
Rurik wrote:
swc65 wrote:Great argument technique. Calling people names and writing "eff-you" really drives the point home and makes people respect your opinions. Your anonymous post (while revealing no personal information that needs to be hidden) does not come across as vile and filled with hatred at all. :roll:


I apologize. I just get very aggravated with how socially inept and oblivious some people are. Then again, if somebody still hasn't grasped why they shouldn't do stuff like posting about law review offers on Facebook, they are far too gone to talk common sense into. So my rant probably is wasted.

Guy, I am about the least socially oblivious person you could ever meet. I can spot socially oblivious people a mile away. Trust me, with your comment just now I can tell that you are an overly sensitive, overly PC person that has his/her own social problems to deal with.

The sad thing about this thread is that it shows me how people really think about accomplishments, etc. I want to share with people and help them. I am the first person to congratulate somebody up and down for even the tiniest personal accomplishments. That most of you take the cynical view that these people are just rubbing your nose in their success goes to show what you would want to do in the same situation. Either that or many of you have SERIOUS inferiority complexes about your ls performances thus far. Most of these bragging bastards that you talk about are probably decent human beings and you guys have built up this bitter, jealous castle in your heads where everyone is looking down on you. Might be time to breathe and take in some perspective.


Or you could realize that, despite their "insecurity" or "bitterness," your classmates don't deserve to be hurt by your incessant need to brag. Get over yourself.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.